Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:53 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
What I need to do is hit the lottery, because for sure I would live in FL. from November(day after Thanksgiving), until April 1st. Then back to Massachusetts from April 1st, until November. I have to have Thanksgiving in New England. And fly up for Christmas week. I need to be a snow bird. I hate Florida summers, and hate -25 degree wind chills too. Sucks to be me.
You have the right idea. I hate the Florida summers much more than the winters we had in central NJ.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:07 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
You have the right idea. I hate the Florida summers much more than the winters we had in central NJ.
Well, I have to get used to it now, the hot time of the year is coming in... Last year was brutal, I'm not looking forward to it. When I went to Massachusetts it was warm, but dryer air. I'm gonna miss the summer up there, and eventually wonder why I came back here...

Old 04-07-2008, 01:07 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Winters North are worse.
I've spent a ton of time in Florida, and it never felt hotter then the hottest days of summer in NJ.
In florida you don't get that winter doledrums feeling. It is light longer too.........
I remember being in my Pocono home and it was dark, black outside, I was cold to the bones, it was freezing!.....I start to talk with my daughter by phone who lived in Boynton Beach......they were outside, with bikes and kids, it was still light.
I was so wishing I was there.
There is more time spent outdoors due to the great Florida weather. Even on the hot days you can be at the beach........
I so hate being cooped up in the Winters, one reason we head to SC is to be out of all the darkness and cold.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:00 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
I noticed most of the people who are complaining about the cold winters live in the areas that get the worst of the winter. There are some areas up north that don't get as brutal and as dreary as some of the posters here would make you believe. The area of NJ in which I lived (near Princeton) did get cold, but it was not as bad as it is in Maine, Buffalo, NH, Northeast PA, where some of these posters live. If I lived in these areas, I would hate winter as well.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:07 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
well Florida doesn't really have endless summers, in fact the winters are quite pleasant and can be even down right cold! I left NJ as a child and wouldn't want to live there again because of the weather and the extremes however we haven't talked about the hurricane factor!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:25 PM

48 posts, read 158,734 times
Give me endless summers anytime. Absolutely despise the long, cold, snowy winters. I've lived in NJ most of my life and those winters are mild compared to the past winter we had in Illinois. I'm a SAD sufferer and this was the worst winter for me, by far.

Thank goodness we move back to CA next year!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:34 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
Give me endless summers anytime. Absolutely despise the long, cold, snowy winters. I've lived in NJ most of my life and those winters are mild compared to the past winter we had in Illinois. I'm a SAD sufferer and this was the worst winter for me, by far.

Thank goodness we move back to CA next year!

There is a difference between Florida summers and California summers.

Florida summers are humid and sticky, California is dry and comfortable in most peoples opinion.

And although I prefer Florida summers over up north winters any day I think I would find California more comfortable.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:09 PM

6 posts, read 14,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygurl View Post
Native Floridian thinking of moving back to Florida (Tampa) after 10 years of dark days, dry skin, depression (S.A.D.) and deep cold in the Northeast.

Since I can't move to So. Calif. (where the climate is perfect), am thinking about Florida, where it's sunny and my family lives.

But I am wondering whether 6 months of oppressive humid heat are actually worse than 6 months of dreary frigid cold? What do you think?
I moved here from north/central NJ 10 yrs. ago. I live a few miles inland from the ocean, and every year that I've been here, NJ has had more days of 90+ weather with higher humidity than we have had !!! While my northern relatives were housebound because their roads weren't plowed, I was calling them on my cell phone from the beach, to let them listen to the ocean. Meanie, aren't I?

It's great to just grab the keys and go out the door instead of deciding if I need a light sweater, heavy sweater, jacket, scarf, hat, gloves...and I don't need to shovel snow or scrape ice. My sister in upstate NY carries a snow shovel in her car. Every so often, on her way to work, she had to stop in the middle of the road, get out, shovel thru a snowdrift, and drive on till the next one. My daughter was without power for over a week in the freezing cold because ice took the power lines down. We had some hurricanes a few years back, but at least we didn't have to worry about freezing water pipes when our power was out. I'm here to stay, and if it weren't for my family up north, I'd never go there again. Green grass, leaves on the trees, and blooming flowers year 'round. What's to complain about???

Old 04-09-2008, 12:54 PM

22 posts, read 67,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygurl View Post
Native Floridian thinking of moving back to Florida (Tampa) after 10 years of dark days, dry skin, depression (S.A.D.) and deep cold in the Northeast.

Since I can't move to So. Calif. (where the climate is perfect), am thinking about Florida, where it's sunny and my family lives.

But I am wondering whether 6 months of oppressive humid heat are actually worse than 6 months of dreary frigid cold? What do you think?
The winter up north is MUCH worse. I could barely stand living in Philadelphia with the overcast winters. No comparison to having LOTS of sunny days. Plus the beach here is so gorgeous here in Florida. Certaintly beats the Jersey shore. Come back....plus Tampa is a really fun town (I like it better than S.Florida where I live). And it is really 6 months of oppressive heat if you live in S. Florida (Tampa and N. Florida is milder). Plus, nothing can replace living near family.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:32 PM

32 posts, read 266,056 times
i'll take heat and SUNSHINE over perpetual gray skies anytime !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida