Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:31 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,800,375 times

Advertisements

Having done both I have to say winter is worse (for me).

Old 04-01-2008, 07:51 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,718,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygurl View Post
Native Floridian thinking of moving back to Florida (Tampa) after 10 years of dark days, dry skin, depression (S.A.D.) and deep cold in the Northeast.

Since I can't move to So. Calif. (where the climate is perfect), am thinking about Florida, where it's sunny and my family lives.

But I am wondering whether 6 months of oppressive humid heat are actually worse than 6 months of dreary frigid cold? What do you think?
Boy, have you touched a raw nerve! This winter has been the absolute worst in Maine. I've never heard so many people grumbling about winter as I have this year. Northern Maine just set a snowfall record--200 inches and counting. The local newspaper had a front page picture of a snow plow pushing snow to the side of the road and the snow banks reached more than half way up the utility poles. One could easily have stood on top of the snowbank and touched the power lines! Give me sun and heat!

Old 04-01-2008, 08:27 AM

455 posts, read 1,223,189 times
We left Florida to come home to Maine. The heat was becoming worse for us. I think it might depend on what is home to you. I am from Maine and lived the last 20 years in Florida. Maine and winter is better to me than the awful heat of Southern Florida. To those from Florida, I would imagine that the winer and the cold would seem worse.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:43 AM

39 posts, read 112,697 times
At least the snow covers the grey... Anyone seriously thinking of moving out of the south, really needs to consider the depression factor. If you're depressed.. months of long, grey, cold days are going to help you any. A friend of mine is from Maine. She's 78. She has lived in western NY for the past 7 years or so. She said even Maine winters aren't this dreary. If she could afford it she'd go back to Maine in a heartbeat. She claims there's more sun up here. Poor lady, depression has finally hit her too. I'm telling you people, there's something to the No Sun= Depression. We're not talking days, we're talking WEEKS at a time with no sun and nowhere to go. I walk around Wally world just to get out of the house.. But even that's a 20 minute drive. Maybe it might be easier ina city like Buffalo where you can at least take the kids to Chuck E. Cheese (nightmare place that it is ha ha) but it's better than nothing.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:48 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,475,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomInNY View Post
I walk around Wally world just to get out of the house.. But even that's a 20 minute drive. Maybe it might be easier ina city like Buffalo where you can at least take the kids to Chuck E. Cheese (nightmare place that it is ha ha) but it's better than nothing.
Sorta hijacking the thread b/c I can TOTALLY relate to what you wrote. I, though, refuse to step foot into Chuck E Cheese & leave that for my husband to do. I need to be in the right state of mind to endure WalMart on a regular day let alone one after there has been a major snowfall.
We have several Playground Worlds which are indoor, free & just incredibly fun & cool. A complete lifesaver this past month.

It was opening day of baseball yesterday & in the mid 50s. Right now its sunny & in the mid50s. No complaints. Guarantee there will be at least one more snow fall before April is over, though. Right now,though, weather is great.

To go back to the OP, I wouldn't step foot back in SWFL if I won the Megamillions & was given a free home based on weather. Just not the place for us. As for the weather...whatever...it is what it is & it is an extreme question with extreme answers...

Old 04-01-2008, 08:54 AM

376 posts, read 1,803,216 times
I grew up in MA, have resided in SW FL for quite a while now and would choose the humidity/heat of a FL summer over northeast winter, even though they can be beautiful to behold......from inside a nice warm room. BUT, even as a child I was not a big fan of winter, and I have never minded humidity. If the summer humidity where you are now bothers you, imagine quadrupling that and making it last for at least 5 months. I laugh at myself as when the temps get down to the low 70's, now I feel "cold" -- yet I remember waiting for the Boston & Plymouth bus at the Bourne Rotary in the AM wearing a sweater and leather jacket ....when it was 35 degrees out, thinking "what a nice spring day!". You would acclimate and learn to adjust your lifestyle to the weather here just as you do in the winter up north. What I do miss....lilacs, tulips and crocus in the spring.....crispness, color and crunch of autumn on Cape Cod. Luckily, I can always go visit family then!

Old 04-01-2008, 09:00 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,469,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytimenow View Post
I grew up in MA, have resided in SW FL for quite a while now and would choose the humidity/heat of a FL summer over northeast winter, even though they can be beautiful to behold......from inside a nice warm room. BUT, even as a child I was not a big fan of winter, and I have never minded humidity. If the summer humidity where you are now bothers you, imagine quadrupling that and making it last for at least 5 months. I laugh at myself as when the temps get down to the low 70's, now I feel "cold" -- yet I remember waiting for the Boston & Plymouth bus at the Bourne Rotary in the AM wearing a sweater and leather jacket ....when it was 35 degrees out, thinking "what a nice spring day!". You would acclimate and learn to adjust your lifestyle to the weather here just as you do in the winter up north. What I do miss....lilacs, tulips and crocus in the spring.....crispness, color and crunch of autumn on Cape Cod. Luckily, I can always go visit family then!

LOl you do adjust fast, I grew up in Naples and anything below 75 and I was cold.. Now in we hit into the upper 30's and I'm only wearing a sweater and no gloves or anything cause thats just chilly. 55 and above and I open my windows lol.. Its amazing how adaptive your body is.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:10 AM

841 posts, read 4,828,048 times
Quote:
Native Floridian thinking of moving back to Florida (Tampa) after 10 years of dark days, dry skin, depression (S.A.D.) and deep cold in the Northeast.

Since I can't move to So. Calif. (where the climate is perfect), am thinking about Florida, where it's sunny and my family lives.

But I am wondering whether 6 months of oppressive humid heat are actually worse than 6 months of dreary frigid cold? What do you think?
Wow, I could've written the above post. But we're in Chicago. We moved up three months ago from Virginia and I hate it. I can't take the long, dreary, gray, cold days. It's too depressing. I lived in FL for 8 years in my twenties. I can definitely take the long hot summers much better than these cold dark days. I can definitely feel my S.A.D is back in full force. At least in the summertime in FL you can still enjoy the outdoors by going to the beach, swimming in pools, going to waterparks, etc. I have no motivation when it's cold and dreary.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:45 AM

431 posts, read 2,120,889 times
I prefer heat over cold any day but what makes Florida heat unbearable at times is the humidity. Bad bad hair days for me. It can get brutal dealing with the endless summer months but I am not a winter person. I do remember my toes feeling like they were going to break off in my boots from the cold in NY. As bad as the humidity is in Florida, you just can't beat the sunshine and the clear blue skies. That is priceless.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:50 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,497,515 times
Quote:

I love the heat...and I can walk around outside in nothing more than a pair of shorts...if I want. But I don't like to wear shorts, so I usually go out in a pair of jeans and a T-shirt. If not inside a building, I can take the shirt off. Plus, I wear a hat or bandanna (think Willie Nelson, not Paco of the Latin Kings).

Of course, in my own home, I wear much less--we don't have a/c.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida