U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 07:52 PM

356 posts, read 109,012 times

Advertisements

I am looking mostly in Central Florida but not sure that matters as I imagine (?) that the state government of Florida controls building regulations (?).

I am interested in building a small 2br 1bath home with SIP panels or perhaps a dome or some similar alternative/cheaper material home in FL.

I currently live in a SIP panel home and love it and it was much cheaper to build but I live in another country, not USA, and the building regulations were not strict here.

First of all I wonder if regulations are a nightmare in FL - so much so it would be easier and/or cheaper to buy a pre-manufactured home or a regular brick n mortar type home?

I have only around $100k to spend and wondering if I could buy a piece of property - an acre or two - and then build a SIP panel home or set a pre-manufactured home on it without too much trouble.

I am thinking this is possible because I have seen ads on zillow for 5-10 acre properties with huge 3br 2ba homes on them for less than $179k. So I'd think a SIP panel house half that size could be built for maybe half that on a piece of land...

If not, then am I crazy in thinking I could buy or build a nice yet humble small house in FL for around $100k?

Anyway, anyone who has comments related to this, I'd be happy to get them! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 04:41 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,394,341 times
Your best bet may be buying a used mobile home. If you want to build and be cheap, you should look at inland sites. Everywhere in Florida has wind codes you must comply with. Coastal areas have higher wind speeds/codes than inland. For instance in my zip you have to build for 135 mph winds.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:55 PM

7,678 posts, read 16,092,150 times
Even the manufactured homes these days have code requirements- if you're thinking that route, look at the ones built after 2000, which would be fully in compliance with the good 'HUD code' requirements put into place after Hurricane Andrew. A post-Andrew mobile home that is properly tied down and doesn't have an attached sun porch or carport can hold up as well in strong winds as many site built homes.

Old 07-29-2018, 03:46 PM

3,230 posts, read 4,614,686 times
Any structure built must meet the current FL Building Code that governs the design, construction, erection, alteration, modification, repair, and demolition of public and private buildings, structures, and facilities in the state. Whether a SIP panel home would meet the state requirements is something a local contractor or building permit office would have to go over with you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you are starting with vacant land, you have to factor in the cost of running electrical power to the property, which can get expensive if there are no lines running near to your property. Costs of up to $15,000 or more are not uncommon. Then you will most likely also need a well and septic system. Depending on the quality of the water, you may also need a filtering system because of the mineral content.

Before buying any vacant land here in FL, you should always contact the county to verify the zoning to see if what you want to do with the land is even possible. For example, mobile homes are often restricted to specific types of zoning and have set requirements for lot size, etc. The seller can tell you what they think is allowed, but as a buyer you'll want to verify yourself with the proper government authorities.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:00 PM

Thanks to all. That's what I thought: way too much gov't bureaucracy to contend with. I imagine it's that way in most of the United States. I'll go back to looking at pre-built or pre-placed manufactured homes.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:39 AM

52 posts, read 19,368 times
100 grand ? LOL

Old 08-04-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCephus View Post
100 grand ? LOL
Guess you're saying that's not enough to even build a SMALL 2 br house?
Weird. I built a small 1br house for $35k and could have added another bedroom for another $7k or so but couldn't afford it. But that was not in the USA.
Seems this is the reason pre-manu. homes are so popular, eh?

Old 08-05-2018, 10:05 AM

1,104 posts, read 583,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Weird. I built a small 1br house for $35k and could have added another bedroom for another $7k or so but couldn't afford it. But that was not in the USA.
That's awesome! Which country? Did that figure include water, sewer, electric, etc. hookup?

Old 08-05-2018, 10:32 PM
KPB

1,434 posts, read 922,944 times
It wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal to build as people here are making it sound lol.

Each County is different, has different zoning laws. Just do your research.

Domes for Sale | AiDomes

Old 08-05-2018, 10:41 PM
KPB

1,434 posts, read 922,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
No, the reason pre-manu. homes are more popular is because most people don't have any kind of skills that are needed to build anything.
Most couldn't even build a small shed for there backyard, they'd rather pay 4x the cost to build one and buy a pre-manu. shed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or