U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: high tech company, buy a house, tax help, mortgage, first time home buyers loan.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 04:09 PM

317 posts, read 1,122,058 times

Advertisements

Well...I'm still driving myself crazy between moving to FL and staying here in NJ. There is a 50x50 lot available for sale in my town for $399. Cheapest piece of "anything" around. I keep going to look at it, and then think what I could get for Florida for that money (which isn't too much as we all now know)...and then it makes me crazy that the stupid lot costs that much and the taxes are already $4000.

On the up side, I actually got called for a job interview in Melbourne - a great high tech company in "fingerprint" technology. I have a phone interview with the Pres on Friday. The housing prices in Melbourne Beach haven't seemed to go down at all.

Well, it's gloomy and rainy here -- mild though, in the 50's...we really haven't had any winter yet...I think it is the global warmimg.

Cheers!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 04:20 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,025,136 times
Hey Nancy, good luck with your job interview.

Isn't this winter absolutely wonderful? We've had some cold spells already, but our temp will be 50 for a few days now and that's unheard of up here. (So. Dak)

Old 12-13-2006, 04:43 PM

56 posts, read 329,351 times
Hi Nancy! I have been thinking about you, wondering how you are doing. Were you able to get a feel for things on your trip? Eliminate a few places to narrow down your search? I hope so. I'd be interested to hear your impressions of the different places you went. Glad to hear about your job interview -- it's always good to have options. I hope it goes well. We are getting ready to make an offer on a house in NC! We found one we love, although it's really too early for us to buy yet -- we are trying to make a good enough offer (and serious enough commitment, ie. earnest $) that they'll be willing to close a little later. Also getting ready to put our house on the market in Jan., so I'm kind of overwhelmed with all the stuff I need to do... So had to stop here to have a little break and vent a bit. Anyway just wanted to say hi and please keep me posted on how you're doing. I better get back to my obsessive cleaning and clutter-purging! -- Amy

Old 12-13-2006, 04:54 PM

Default HI Amy...I've been thinking about you as well...

and your move to NC. You found a house you love! That is great! How is the family holding up on the move -- especially the kids?

Keep me posted.

Thanks,

Nancy

ps I haven't gotten down there yet. Everytime I make reservations, something comes up and I have to cancel...but will get there soon.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:38 PM

627 posts, read 2,618,134 times
"Hi" to you too Nancy!

GOOD LUCK!!! I hope everything works out for you!!!!

PS: Happy Holidays too!!

Old 12-13-2006, 06:01 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,872,383 times
Good luck Nancy--with whatever happens and whatever you decide.
Do what you think is best for Nancy!

Old 12-13-2006, 06:22 PM

467 posts, read 1,548,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
Well...I'm still driving myself crazy between moving to FL and staying here in NJ. There is a 50x50 lot available for sale in my town for $399. Cheapest piece of "anything" around. I keep going to look at it, and then think what I could get for Florida for that money (which isn't too much as we all now know)...and then it makes me crazy that the stupid lot costs that much and the taxes are already $4000.

On the up side, I actually got called for a job interview in Melbourne - a great high tech company in "fingerprint" technology. I have a phone interview with the Pres on Friday. The housing prices in Melbourne Beach haven't seemed to go down at all.

Well, it's gloomy and rainy here -- mild though, in the 50's...we really haven't had any winter yet...I think it is the global warmimg.

Cheers!

Nancy
Nancy,
i'm from nj... here is something to consider. In central florida $399.00 gets you into an area that would be equal to holmdel nj. what can you get in holmdel nj for 399.00..
I have alot of family still in nj, they are paying big numbers in state tax and in property tax.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:09 PM

Default The truth about NJ Taxes

When I sold my home - which I just closed on Nov 20 - the taxes had just been increased to...are you ready????...$22,000. I had owned my house for 13 years -- kinda like eminant domain in alot of ways...I could afford my old mortgage, but now I needed to pay almost $2K a month in taxes. I had held on about two years too long...and by that time, I had to really accept alot less for the house than I was asking. (Not to mention, that they still have 100K in escrow of mine -- because of some things that still have to be fixed) So much for a sale that was supposed to be accepted at that lower price "AS IS". But they were in no hurry, and found ways to just keep dragging out "the closing"...until they really had me up against the wall. Plus, when you finally make the decision and accept that you need to leave you home...you need to go, it is over and time to move on. Needless to say, 3 of the 7 houses on my street went up for sale immediately. Those of us that were just "hard working folks, self- employed, etc., that had been there for a long time - simply could no longer afford to pay those kinds of taxes. My other two neighbors moved to SC. Just packed up the kids and went - no job, no nadda - but then again, they were self-employed. All of OUR houses were bought by (((now - no offense here to my fellow NYers)) - but ALL of our houses were bought by NYers as SECOND HOMES!!! (I am on the NJ Shore). Yes, I made a nice profit on my house...but the problem is, I can't afford to "buy back into NJ" in a decent area....and if I am going to have to move out of the town and my son is going to have to change schools anyhow, --- well then, it may be somewhere where I think we could have a better quality of life overall. (OH - and get this!!!!....I had to pay 1% of the sale price to the state of NJ for a realty transfer fee -- what a bunch of xxx! And of course, 4% to the realtor, etc, etc, etc.

There are no guaratees that we will be happy if we move...but here is what I have read lately that keeps running thru my mind...."If you really want something in your life, make a plan and just do it...because if you don't...you just might regret it forever". It is sooooo much easier to stay where you are, with what you know....change is hard stuff...change takes courage...but it also broadens our scope of life beyond our little "world" we live in.

Peace!...and thanks to all for the good wishes...I do appreciate each and everyone one of them!!!

Nancy

Old 12-13-2006, 09:22 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,978,466 times
I keep reading those posts and its crazy and also sad that many are priced out of our homes! Im from south Florida and theres no way I can afford even the cheapest house or do I want to pay those prices! So ill be relocating to Oil city, PA as a first time home buyer. Im self employeed so I can live anywhere

Old 12-14-2006, 05:27 AM

467 posts, read 1,548,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
When I sold my home - which I just closed on Nov 20 - the taxes had just been increased to...are you ready????...$22,000. I had owned my house for 13 years -- kinda like eminant domain in alot of ways...I could afford my old mortgage, but now I needed to pay almost $2K a month in taxes. I had held on about two years too long...and by that time, I had to really accept alot less for the house than I was asking. (Not to mention, that they still have 100K in escrow of mine -- because of some things that still have to be fixed) So much for a sale that was supposed to be accepted at that lower price "AS IS". But they were in no hurry, and found ways to just keep dragging out "the closing"...until they really had me up against the wall. Plus, when you finally make the decision and accept that you need to leave you home...you need to go, it is over and time to move on. Needless to say, 3 of the 7 houses on my street went up for sale immediately. Those of us that were just "hard working folks, self- employed, etc., that had been there for a long time - simply could no longer afford to pay those kinds of taxes. My other two neighbors moved to SC. Just packed up the kids and went - no job, no nadda - but then again, they were self-employed. All of OUR houses were bought by (((now - no offense here to my fellow NYers)) - but ALL of our houses were bought by NYers as SECOND HOMES!!! (I am on the NJ Shore). Yes, I made a nice profit on my house...but the problem is, I can't afford to "buy back into NJ" in a decent area....and if I am going to have to move out of the town and my son is going to have to change schools anyhow, --- well then, it may be somewhere where I think we could have a better quality of life overall. (OH - and get this!!!!....I had to pay 1% of the sale price to the state of NJ for a realty transfer fee -- what a bunch of xxx! And of course, 4% to the realtor, etc, etc, etc.

There are no guaratees that we will be happy if we move...but here is what I have read lately that keeps running thru my mind...."If you really want something in your life, make a plan and just do it...because if you don't...you just might regret it forever". It is sooooo much easier to stay where you are, with what you know....change is hard stuff...change takes courage...but it also broadens our scope of life beyond our little "world" we live in.

Peace!...and thanks to all for the good wishes...I do appreciate each and everyone one of them!!!

Nancy
sometimes you have to step out of the comfort zone. I did that in 1991 and my kids grew up here. this is now their comfort zone. I remember the high cost of living in 1991. my water/sewer bill was as high as my property taxes here. I was living in howell and theye were killing people on that bill alone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or