Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:51 PM

627 posts, read 2,848,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSweetWorld View Post
Yes, there is a TON of opposition to this power plant from the locals. Although some favor it as a source of economic development, quality of life increase. Spent fuel rods are transported by the Federal government and you should check with them for their policy regarding this practice.

spent rods are not typically transported, they are kept on-site, in pools, specifically designed for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 12:59 PM

737 posts, read 1,648,357 times
I personally don't like the idea of having a nuclear plant in Florida.

Coal is much cleaner and more efficient then Nuclear why use nuclear?

I have done my homework on this.

We also have a windmill/solar plant in Tampa which is also another option.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:31 PM

Coal burners (loving referred to as DIRT Burners by those in the industry) are just about the dirtiest of all power plant generation methods; even with all the air scrubbers mandated to be installed, they are still filthily dirty plants. Even plants like Big Bend in Tampa, which just happens to be one of the cleanest coal burner in the nation, is ranked in the top 25 of dirty power plants (those letting off significant CO2 and NOx).

Hydro is even dirtier than Nuke.

Here are a few good links, I know you can find even more out there.
Expensive and Dirty Hydro | International Rivers
http://www.dirtykilowatts.org/Dirty_Kilowatts2007.pdf
Nuclear Energy is the most certain future source.
HowStuffWorks "How Nuclear Power Works"
NMC - Nuclear Facts - Business - U.S. nuclear power plant performance
And Yes.... The NRC: Home Page

I am not saying Nuclear is the answer, but it is clean, safe and the plants are the most scrutinized and regulated by the industry and regulators that I find it a great boost to the local economy, education (our plant up north brought more money to real estate and schools, that area is still sought after by families) and housing market.

Well... gotta run, I have Midterms in school tonight!!!

PS: You get sick of seeing coal cars lining the railway day nd night. Do you even realize the amount of coal it takes to run one small power plant?

Old 08-19-2008, 07:58 PM

I used Wikipedia for my information.

I will post the pages if I have the time to look up all the info again been awhile and I don't recall the keywords I used.

I don't like the idea of Nuke for obvious reasons.

I know comparing dollar for dollar Nuke cost about $1. more Cost Element.

I'm still looking for the page of comparing as far as cleaner. I did my research less then a year ago and am getting mixed reviews now.

http://www.nucleartourist.com/basics/costs.htm

Florida really need more solar and or wind power since we have so many storms anyways.

Florida don't really have alot of nuke plants and we hold our own for clean air.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/nuclear.../statesfl.html <----This is what Carbon dioxide is

There has to be a better way period then Nuke.

We breathe in Oxygen and breathe out carbon. Tree plants ect. Breathe in carbon and breathe out oxygen.

Also with both nuke and coal there is a waste factor they are the same.
  • Coal cleaning by 'washing' has been standard practice in developed countries for some time. It reduces emissions of ash and sulfur dioxide when the coal is burned.
  • Electrostatic precipitators and fabric filters can remove 99% of the fly ash from the flue gases - these technologies are in widespread use.
  • Flue gas desulfurisation reduces the output of sulfur dioxide to the atmosphere by up to 97%, the task depending on the level of sulfur in the coal and the extent of the reduction. It is widely used where needed in developed countries.
  • Low-NOx burners allow coal-fired plants to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions by up to 40%. Coupled with re-burning techniques NOx can be reduced 70% and selective catalytic reduction can clean up 90% of NOx emissions.
  • Increased efficiency of plant - up to 45% thermal efficiency now (and 50% expected in future) means that newer plants create less emissions per kWh than older ones.
  • Advanced technologies such as Integrated Gasification Combined Cycle (IGCC) and Pressurised Fluidised Bed Combustion (PFBC) will enable higher thermal efficiencies still - up to 50% in the future.
  • Ultra-clean coal from new processing technologies which reduce ash below 0.25% and sulfur to very low levels mean that pulverised coal might be fed directly into gas turbines with combined cycle and burned at high thermal efficiency.
  • Gasification, including underground gasification in situ, uses steam and oxygen to turn the coal into carbon monoxide and hydrogen.
  • Sequestration refers to disposal of liquid carbon dioxide, once captured, into deep geological strata.

Last edited by Starlady01; 08-19-2008 at 08:38 PM..

Old 08-19-2008, 09:44 PM

Star...

I have been in and out of power plants, exposed to companies and their employees that produce software and controls (for all aspects of the plant's operation) since 1992, I am not an expert, but know a little about Coal, Gas Fired, Garbage Burners and Nuke Power Plants.

Nuke plants are nothing to be scared of. Like I stated earlier, no one has any health issues either. I will also note that we have not yet seen any fish with three eyes, deer that glow in the dark or even turtles that have mutated into ninjas. You will probably face greater danger from something like a car accident or catching your hair on fire by leaning over the toaster for too long. (just trying to inject some humor with the "toaster")

I know that some people worry, but hey, at least you are trying to educate yourself on the issue, and that is a GREAT thing. Just remember, that all good research does not begin with Wikipedia.... I run into students at the college that end up getting into trouble for incorrect data, after using the site. It is full of info, but because it publicly maintained, there is a lot of mis-information.

I am excited that their will be some higher paid salaries and jobs needing degreed engineers and college grads on the horizon, this area desperately needs a huge shot in the arm in so Many ways!!

Oh, yeah, I wanted to point out the plant we lived by also went through an earthquake with no damage, and that was in 1986 or so.

I have to get some sleep.... I have homework to go over in the morning!!

Old 08-20-2008, 04:25 AM

I'm also told it is safe to have an xray but the tech and who ever else hides behind a steel wall.

Now I have a doctor that wants me to have one every year.

I just don't like the idea.

I'm sure there are lots of safety issues address and taken. But all it takes is one mistake sometimes. Yeah know.

Let me add I recently saw pictures of the Chernobyl Nuclear plant that something did go wrong and that area is still not livable. Houses stand untouched falling down and the place is in shambles. This accident happened at Chernobyl Nuclear in 1986 not that dang long ago.

I would post the link but I lost my hard drive of late and lost the Url. I did a search and found old Pictures the ones I saw were more recent.

Here is a story of someone who went recently. I saw even more recent pictures then this not in the winter and closer up. The pictures I saw were not pretty trust me.

Nuclear Winter in Chernobyl | Stuck In Customs

Last edited by Starlady01; 08-20-2008 at 05:22 AM..

Old 08-20-2008, 06:05 AM

4 posts, read 19,874 times
What plant did you live by that was in eye shot - what was the distance of your home site from these nuclear reactors? Also, when you sold and brought explain the value - Did you sell the home that was in eye shot? How did it sell, what were buyers reactopms that were interested in buying? Were your buyers workers from the power plant. When you moved to Florida, did you buy within a mile of the nuclear reactor that your husband worked at? If so, which one? Do you still live there? My husband and I are true Floridian, and our family all born and raised in south florida well familiar with Turkey Point. I have two kids, that I'm concern for their future and our grandkids health. Please reply

Old 08-20-2008, 09:41 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
Interesting discussion.
I'm not sure comparing Chernobyl to the modern plants of today is credible.

you are talking years ago Russia vs. modern USA.

kinda like comparing a redneck Demolition derby with NASCAR....

Frank D.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:48 AM

Hahaha Chernobyl's plant was built differently AND the entire fault of that issue was the total FAILURE of a HUMAN, not the plant. The "melt down" would never have happened if the operator had not insisted that his controls where wrong and that he wanted to push the reactor past its limits. PLUS, we have a tiered level of command, you cannot even change a light bulb without there being two or three people to verify and double check each step of the process.

Again, The Russian plant was a different design and NOT regulated in the same manner of safety that we currently have in effect here in the U.S.A.

OH, the X-Ray tech is behind glass and lead due to the fact that he or she is running the machine SEVERAL TIMES a day, each day they work. It is far different than getting one or two x-rays a year. I had Lung cancer and I have a CT-scan, and MRI, as well as a Chest X-Ray each and every year. You have many household appliances (Microwave oven, computer monitor, TV, etc...) that emit radiation too.

I still think that this area NEEDS the quality employment, educated work positions and economic boost that this will bring. We are losing our manufacturing base in Ocala!! Dayco, E-One, Signature Brand Foods, Manufactured Housing plants and more are moving, being sold or laying off their employees. We cannot have a city with a huge welfare base and no middle-class to help support it. We are an area of low paying Service jobs; the only real “skilled” work here (in Bulk) is in the Medical Fields.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert and Deborah Smith View Post
What plant did you live by that was in eye shot - what was the distance of your home site from these nuclear reactors? Also, when you sold and brought explain the value - Did you sell the home that was in eye shot? How did it sell, what were buyers reactopms that were interested in buying? Were your buyers workers from the power plant. When you moved to Florida, did you buy within a mile of the nuclear reactor that your husband worked at? If so, which one? Do you still live there? My husband and I are true Floridian, and our family all born and raised in south florida well familiar with Turkey Point. I have two kids, that I'm concern for their future and our grandkids health. Please reply
We lived in Perry Ohio. The plant is on Lake Erie and is part of “First Energy”. This plant only has one of two reactors up and running the cooling tower (reactor) farthest from the lake is Flooded and has never been activated.

You can check home values and school ratings for: Perry Ohio 44081. We also had a home in Madison-On-The-Lake, Ohio 44057 (right off Townline Rd and Lockwood); it was about the same distance your home sits for the proposed site. We also graduated from Madison High School, together, in 1987 before we became globe trotters with the U.S.A.F. But we did end up back in that area a few times, each time having no difficulty buying or selling homes (even as little as 18 months ago)... we owned the last OH home for a couple years while we were here, it was not on the market, we just did not need to sell, so it sat empty except for when we would summer at Geneva-On-The-Lake with the kids. When we did put it on the market, it sold and closed in less than six weeks.

You can see the Power Plant, it sits on the lake shore, here: 44081 - Google Maps close the pop-up balloon and zoom in.

I think the children in this area are in worse shape than those of NEO, by that I mean that the education here is lacking compared to what they had there (I sent the oldest children back to finish High School, because Dunnellon (Marion County) is terrible in comparison, and had no advanced technological classes like what they had up north). Personally, what I see in this area is that Economically, the area is struggling, and you may have a greater worry with things like diseases, poor education, and even crime, rather than radiation, with your children and grandchildren. After living all over the U.S. and parts of Europe, this has to be the worst place we have been in (for our children), other than Chilton County Alabama. Health issues... None. I worry more about accidents, abductions and crime against children, than anything from the Nuke Plant.

As for this area, we did not know anything about it, so we blindly ended up with a home in Marion Oaks (contracted it when we lived in Ohio), but bought a home in-town east of the MO as soon as the lease was up. The Power Plant my husband currently works at is Not a Nuke, it is a Twin Gas Turbine Power Plant with Diesel Back-ups (Umatilla). Being that he is Nuclear Certified, he is highly interested in the new plant and the potential it has to offer the area.

There are many Highs and Lows to any Plant, and like I stated in an earlier post, It is GREAT that people are trying to educate themselves!!! Just do not use Wikipedia for your source of truthful information, it is a fun site to read, but it is far from accurate many times.

I am also happy to see the communication here. Everyone can air their concerns and or questions while looking for honest opinions from others with similar concerns and or experiences.

Last edited by MyHomeIsInOcala; 08-20-2008 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida