U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2006, 04:49 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,264,476 times

Advertisements

For the AOL users...

AOL Agrees to Pay for Bad Service: As Many As 7,000 Florida Consumers Could Be Entitled to Restitution From AOL for Misconduct By Customer Service Representatives
By Monica Hatcher, The Miami Herald
The Miami HeraldDecember 13, 2006

Dec. 13--If you've had problems with AOL, you just might get your money back.

As many as 7,000 Florida consumers who have had trouble with AOL billing and membership charges could be entitled to refunds, credits or other restitution under a settlement announced Tuesday between the state attorney general's office and the Internet service provider.

[CUT - COPYRIGHTED CONTENT]

Last edited by Administrator; 03-27-2007 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: [CUT - COPYRIGHTED CONTENT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 06:51 PM

2,209 posts, read 6,915,601 times
You want a real laugh on internet connections try western north carolina or eastern tennessee. When we asked realtors in certain areas there what was the name of the "cable" company we were told direct tv LOL!

You'd be better off in a 3rd world country ( I know as I own a web development company in a 3rd world country.

Florida is way way ahead of a lot of places when it comes to connecting to the net.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:11 PM

627 posts, read 2,621,026 times
Not here in my neck of the woods, that was the FIRST thing we asked (Will we have high spped internet).

Guess what... NO, we can NOT get Cable or DSL! so, now we use a Sprint Wireless connection, but that is still not good enough for the Vonage phone service (that we used prior to moving here) and our account is on "Hold" and has been for 24 months! UGH! hehehehe

I will never trust any RE Pro again (and that IS my line of work!)... they do not care about much more than a paycheck! Arg!

OK, I am done Meowing! Lol

Oh, yeah, AOL was a rip-off too!

Old 12-13-2006, 07:35 PM

2,209 posts, read 6,915,601 times
myhomeinocala, we finally settled on buying a house in western nc. Gorgeous development, minimum 1.5 acres, heavily wooded and less than a mile from a real equestrian area.

I made the sale contingent on cable internet being installed and working to our satisfaction which we agreed to pay for the install AND flying back up to test it IF the realtor said it worked well enough for us to do so. The realtor was from a big outfit in hendersonville ( Beverly Hanks ) so we felt that we were in good hands.

The cable from Charter was installed and I gave the realtor a speed test to visit, to copy and paste it and email it. I wanted to see it with my own eyes before we spent another 2,000.00 to fly up, rent a car, get a hotel/cabin etc. ( we learned to do this after numerous trips and this also saved us the aggravation of going thru the same thing in Tennessee ). The realtor told us she "didn't know how to copy and paste" despite our instructions. She told us about an internet speed that seemed just fine and she told us she did not go to charters speed test but to the independent one we wanted her to go to ( speakeasy ) so that seemed good.

So we booked yet another flight to charlotte, rented a car, got a cabin rental, got cat sitters for our house here etc etc etc and we went. Got to the house with the realtor and she said "hope this works out". Hope this works out?

Got in there and went to speakeasy. LOL! We were lucky to pull 3 megs on speakeasy . I asked her eye to eye, one more time this is where you went to test the speed right? She said, oh no I went to the charter website. Yes, she out and out lied to us which cost us thousands of dollars .

We also put 5,000.00 "good faith" money on that house. Not only could we not get a realistic high speed cable we could not get other items that were in the contract. So we passed. Did we get our money back ? Not right away. They point blank told me they were "unhappy" and tried to keep it. I also found out that the State of NC Realtors Asssoc or whatever it was called is worthless. I filed a complaint with them and they told me "y'all can sue".

Horrible experience.

We are very happy with Comcast here in Port Charlotte and my advice to anyone who depends on a consistent and high speed internet connection to PUT IT IN WRITING on any contract you sign and make sure it works before you proceed. You may suffer some pain in the beginning but nothing in comparison to what it would be like if you proceed with the purchase only to find out that your source of income on the internet is dependent on less than 3 megs or worse, satellite, dsl or dial up.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or