U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 02:22 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,231,512 times

Advertisements

hello i am from Western Indiana and i was wondering if Florida has any weird traffic laws because some here are Stupid!!
some of the laws in indiana are as follows.

1. turning right or left( if entering a one way street from another one way street) on a red light here is FORBIDDEN even if there is no traffic coming from the left or right

2. maximum speed limit for School buses is 50mph

3. maximum speed limit on bridges is 45

4. large trucks and trucks with hazardous material or have a high output of greenhouse gases are banned in city centres

5. maximum speed limit for vehicles over 5.5tons is 50 mph

6. no passing for vehicles over 3.5 tons

7. Speedlimit on the interstate/highway in winter is 65kph(40mph)

8. Spring and Autumn speedlimit is 80kph(50-55mph)

9. Summertime speedlimit-100-110kph(60-70mph)

10. Buses have the right of way in city centres

11. vehicles/semis with trailers must use the right lane of the highway/interstate

thats about all i can mention for now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 12:27 PM

253 posts, read 964,371 times
It seems here in Florida its the drivers that do the stupid tricks, not the traffic laws. For instance: If its a 4 way stop only 1 driver has to stop, the sign apparently doesn't apply to the others. You get to guess who's going to stop and who won't.

If the light turns red and the driver is going 60 mph, with plenty of distance between his car and the intersection he doesn't have to worry about stopping, because he's in a hurry. His/Her time is much more valuable then anyone with the green light..

Emergency vehicles with their sirens blaring and lights flashing are ignored, and on quite a few occasions simply cut off.

Hopefully you get the point, so never jump out fast at an intersection when you get the green light.. Don't assume that a stop sign will encourage these drivers to actually stop.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanwalt3 View Post
It seems here in Florida its the drivers that do the stupid tricks, not the traffic laws. For instance: If its a 4 way stop only 1 driver has to stop, the sign apparently doesn't apply to the others. You get to guess who's going to stop and who won't.

If the light turns red and the driver is going 60 mph, with plenty of distance between his car and the intersection he doesn't have to worry about stopping, because he's in a hurry. His/Her time is much more valuable then anyone with the green light..

Emergency vehicles with their sirens blaring and lights flashing are ignored, and on quite a few occasions simply cut off.

Hopefully you get the point, so never jump out fast at an intersection when you get the green light.. Don't assume that a stop sign will encourage these drivers to actually stop.

i will take that into consideration next time i visit florida

Old 04-03-2008, 10:22 AM

17,660 posts, read 53,729,740 times
hello i am from Western Indiana and i was wondering if Florida has any weird traffic laws because some here are Stupid!!
some of the laws in indiana are as follows.

1. turning right or left( if entering a one way street from another one way street) on a red light here is FORBIDDEN even if there is no traffic coming from the left or right

Turning on a red light is OK. Ten points if you hit a newspaper vendor, twenty if you hit a windshield washer.

2. maximum speed limit for School buses is 50mph

Maximum limit for a school bus is ten mph faster than the car chasing it because some kid threw a rock out of a window and broke its windshield

3. maximum speed limit on bridges is 45

maximum speed on drawbridges is enough to get up the slope as it opens and jump the gap to the other side

4. large trucks and trucks with hazardous material or have a high output of greenhouse gases are banned in city centres

large trucks and trucks with hazardous material or have a high output of greenhouse gases are housed in the city and encouraged to block traffic

5. maximum speed limit for vehicles over 5.5tons is 50 mph

maximum speed limit for vehicles over 5.5tons? Hee hee. The maximum speed is regulated by the cloverleaf entrance ramps. If the truck flips over or lands on the lower deck, it is going too fast.

6. no passing for vehicles over 3.5 tons

If you don't let a vehicle over 3.5 tons pass, you become a road pancake.

7. Speedlimit on the interstate/highway in winter is 65kph(40mph)

Posted speeds vary. Be on the lookout for motorcycles going 100+ mph at any time.

8. Spring and Autumn speedlimit is 80kph(50-55mph)

Spring and Autumn are open season for snowbirds. When they drive 55, undocumented workers get to clip their fenders and herd them into back streets.

9. Summertime speedlimit-100-110kph(60-70mph)

Summertime speedlimit depends on how big a gun you have and how loud your stereo is.

10. Buses have the right of way in city centres

Buses will take the right of way, whether they have it or not.

11. vehicles/semis with trailers must use the right lane of the highway/interstate

The signs on I95 say that the two right lanes are for trucks. However, the definition of "truck" depends on the driver.

thats about all i can mention for now!

Old 04-03-2008, 02:07 PM

253 posts, read 964,371 times
Well put Harry!

Old 04-12-2008, 10:48 AM

sounds like people in florida are CRAZY no wonder everyone i know has bad stories about Florida

Old 05-28-2008, 12:21 PM

Does Florida have any weird Traffic Laws?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida