Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 05:14 AM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

For Florida to rank 13th when its a service based economy (fortunately) is outstanding. Florida, unlike Ohio (where WRnative lives) doesn't have tons of oil refineries, 2,700 fracking oil & natural gas wells, or tire factories. Ohio sells Billions of Dollars of fossil fuels to China, enabling China's world leading polluter status.

I'm glad Florida is mostly a service-based economy driven by well-to-do retirees & tourists. It's better for FLA's environment. Ohio had a River of Fire in 1969 it was so polluted it went up in flames! True story. I wonder if WR stands for wretched river?

Ohio has a long list of Superfund toxic waste sites : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._sites_in_Ohio

Ohio's currently building 2 HUGE Ethane Gas Plants to dramatically increase their sale of fossil fuels to China. OH is one of USA's leading fossil fuel pushers.

I'm glad in Florida, we mostly push shuffleboard discs.

I'd like to see WRnative clean up his own backyard first (Cleveland, Ohio...yuck!), & quit mucking up FLA's environment with his fossil fuels.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 11-15-2018 at 05:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 08:38 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
For Florida to rank 13th when its a service based economy (fortunately) is outstanding. Florida, unlike Ohio (where WRnative lives) doesn't have tons of oil refineries, 2,700 fracking oil & natural gas wells, or tire factories. Ohio sells Billions of Dollars of fossil fuels to China, enabling China's world leading polluter status.

I'm glad Florida is mostly a service-based economy driven by well-to-do retirees & tourists. It's better for FLA's environment. Ohio had a River of Fire in 1969 it was so polluted it went up in flames! True story. I wonder if WR stands for wretched river?

Ohio has a long list of Superfund toxic waste sites : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._sites_in_Ohio

Ohio's currently building 2 HUGE Ethane Gas Plants to dramatically increase their sale of fossil fuels to China. OH is one of USA's leading fossil fuel pushers.

I'm glad in Florida, we mostly push shuffleboard discs.

I'd like to see WRnative clean up his own backyard first (Cleveland, Ohio...yuck!), & quit mucking up FLA's environment with his fossil fuels.
Actually, Florida has much to learn from Ohio's sorry environmental history, as has already been explained to you, and, of course, ignored. See post 113 in this thread, and especially the last few paragraphs about the recovery of the Cuyahoga River, and compare it today with the toxic algal bloom infested waterways of Florida. What exactly do you propose Florida should do to clean up its environmental messes, and why do you think the denier politicians that you support will get the job done?

Is it me or is Florida getting hotter every year?

The Cuyahoga River of half century ago more resembled a Florida waterway of today than the present-day Cuyahoga River with its substantial recreational development even through downtown Cleveland. Note how President Nixon thought the Clean Water Act was too expensive, but his veto was over-ridden by Congress. Floridians should ask how it is possible the Clean Water Act isn't being enforced today in their state.

https://www.alleghenyfront.org/how-a...ean-water-act/

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...r-in-cleveland

See also post 461 in this thread about Ohio's efforts to combat nutrient pollution and toxic algal blooms and the lessons offered to Florida, especially regarding legal actions which now have been initiated in Florida.

Red Tide that bad???

BTW, please document that Ohio sells billions of dollars to fossil fuels to China; this likely is a complete falsehood. I would be surprised if Ohio sells ANY fossil fuels to China given the great demand for fossil fuels in Ohio and surrounding states and for U.S. natural gas in eastern Canada. Soybeans and jet engines likely are among Ohio's top exports to China, which in total are reportedly and sadly only $4 billion; Trump's China tariff war likely is killing Ohio soybean exports to China this year.

https://www.uschina.org/reports/us-exports/ohio

Don't you feel any shame posting prevarications, let alone made-up, inaccurate statements?

Old 11-15-2018, 09:12 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
about 20 % of Florida's population is retired....65 and older...on a fixed income....that drags the numbers down
I dunno.... looks as though a number of those retirees are fairly well-heeled and can spend their money pretty generously....

Old 11-15-2018, 10:12 AM

WR, I've already prooved you wrong about Ohio selling CO2 producing Ethane to China (who then pollutes the World burning it) on another topic thread, so not doing again here. Just Google Ethane Cracker + Ohio and start reading. Ohio-made fossil fuels are killing Earth, so your home State is a root cause of EVERYTHING you compusively write about ad nauseum.

back to the real topic of Florida's economy...

Corrie22, you are correct if you are talking about income stats and where FLA ranks on income versus other States.

Florida is a retiree State. If you look beyond incomes, and into Floridian's net worth versus other States, that is where Travelassie's "fairly well-heeled" comment is spot on. I'm surrounded by Millionaire's all day every day down here.

You can have a retired Millionaire with an invested nest egg of $1M earning 3% on their investments which is just $30k in annual income. Then, add SS and you might be at $50K/year. But with a net worth of $1M, that same Florida retiree is in the Global top 1% for acccumulated wealth.

Florida has a great economy for being a retiree/tourist state. Millions of wealthy retirees bring their wealth with them when they move to Florida and spend it all down here. This is what fuels Florida's economic growth, not earned income like in other States.

I'm a great example. My earned income is a fraction of what it once was because I dont feel like working more than an hour or two a day anymore. However, I've spent more than a half a Million dollars since arriving here just 2 years ago. I brought all that money with me from another state, and spent it here.

There are tons of people down here just like me. Not huge incomes, but huge nest eggs. We all feel safe bringing it into Florida because the taxes are low, the weather's great, great beaches, flora, and fauna. And, if you bury all your wealth into your home and retirement accounts, nobody can get to it except you because of how the laws here are written.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:15 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Unfortunately that is true of just about every State. Normal as well, as they are entry level and then smart people move up and stupid ones do not.

Exactly

Old 11-15-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
WR, I've already prooved you wrong about Ohio selling CO2 producing Ethane to China (who then pollutes the World burning it) on another topic thread, so not doing again here. Just Google Ethane Cracker + Ohio and start reading. Ohio-made fossil fuels are killing Earth, so your home State is a root cause of EVERYTHING you compusively write about ad nauseum.

Just more "Beach" baloney.

See post 18 in this thread, especially the end of the post when you caught yourself in your own lies and accidentally championed a transition away from fossil fuel consumption. It would be hysterical if your prevarications and actual indifference to environmental catastrophe weren't so overwhelming.

CA Gov Brown accuses Floridians of starting CA fires

Old 11-15-2018, 05:39 PM

The CO2 Ohio's pedalling is killing the planet, and Florida's economy.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:31 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
I just wish Florida had more of a manufacturing/distribution presence. It'd probably be an option of mine to relocate and start over. But it would have to be Jax tho. Has public transit and is maybe the more affordable part of the state. Also got fam there lol. But I'm open to other options that aren't overpopulated.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:19 AM

Quote:
The CO2 Ohio's pedalling is killing the planet, and Florida's economy.
Once again, you condemn carbon dioxide emissions even as you in other posts call man-made climate change a "hoax," state ignorantly and wrongly that the planet is cooling, and promote man-made climate change science denier politicians who actually work to increase fossil fuel consumption and therefore carbon dioxide emissions.

If you actually believe, as I do and have argued in all of my posts, that carbon dioxide is "killing the planet, and Florida's economy," why do you promote "Big Lie" denier propaganda and denier politicians?

I choose to believe that you do understand and accept the dire consequences of fossil fuel consumption, but are so partisan and consumed by a greeder mentality that you have been willing to maintain a campaign of obfuscation and prevarication while throwing future generations under the bus.

Somebody who actually believed that man-made climate change was a hoax simply could NOT have written this quoted sentence.

And this is the second time that you've trapped yourself in this revealing contradiction. See again post 18 in this thread.

CA Gov Brown accuses Floridians of starting CA fires

So if you know that carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuel consumption are "killing the planet, and Florida's economy," why do you keep up your barrage of denier "Big Lie" propaganda and associated prevarications and obfuscations???

Old 11-16-2018, 05:43 AM

The fact remains, your home state of Ohio is producing fossil fuels...Florida is not. Your fixation on Florida is oddly misplaced. You are throwing stones from a glass house.

Ohio: 2,700 fracking wells Florida: 0

Ohio: 24 oil refineries Florida: 0

Ohio: 2 massive "Ethane Hacker" plants under construction to sell Ethane to China Florida: 0

And, back to Florida's economy:

Florida: Net # of Ohioans moving to Florida: 38,479

https://www.cleveland.com/datacentra...how_where.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida