Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 09:40 AM

106 posts, read 568,338 times

Advertisements

Will a house built in 2003 which is my house one level, survive a category 5 hurricane because it is built with hurricane standards? please help me with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 10:34 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times
Just because it was built with up to code standards does not insure it will be standing. If you get hit head on with a cat 5 your roof will most likely be in the next county along with windows being blown out. The block walls will make it most likely. We never know what the hurricanes are going to do and if homes will make it. I pray we don't get hit head on with a cat 5, just look what it did when Andrew rolled over us

Old 08-18-2007, 11:00 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,838 times
Be more specific. Where do you live, who built your house, what type of construction, and what type of roof, hipped or gabled. Have friends all over the state who went through the hurricanes. Some had serious damage some none. Some of the building standards were changed after 04 because of the hurricanes.
I work in the building industry and look closely at the construction in all phases and some is good and some is not so good.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:23 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike28 View Post
Will a house built in 2003 which is my house one level, survive a category 5 hurricane because it is built with hurricane standards? please help me with this.
If the storm is a cat-5. Winds greater than 155 mph But gusts will be well over 215 MPH. Storm surge generally greater than 18 ft above normal. Complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings. Some complete building failures with small utility buildings blown over or away. All shrubs, trees, and signs blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Severe and extensive window and door damage. Low-lying escape routes are cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Major damage to lower floors of all structures located less than 15 ft above sea level and within 500 yards of the shoreline. Massive evacuation of residential areas on low ground within 5-10 miles (8-16 km) of the shoreline may be required.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-18-2007, 11:31 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Most building codes go up to 120MPh winds, anything over that is going to cause damage. Unless your home has a poured concrete roof, is above storm surge, has window protection or no windows, you will be risking your life there. The power of a hurricane is so incredible that unless you are an experienced builder or engineer (or a thrill seeker) you do not want to be in the storm's path. I went through Andrew in the Westwood Lakes area and that was more than enough for me.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:44 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,553 times
More thank likey no it will not hold up. I lived in Naples last year when Wilma (cat 3 right before land fall) hit head on. Most damage was uprooted trees, lots of roof damage, churches lost steeples etc. So your roof, then windows will be first to go. My mothers house was up to code but we started loosing shingles and then with the pressure change of the hurricane, the wind and the rain we started having water push through the screw holes on the door handles, drip down the corners of the house eg. where wall met wall or wall met ceiling. There are no guarentees in a hurricane. You best bet is if its a high cat 3 or higher to get out. Because once it blows through you'll be without power, water, gas, phone, most food stores will be closed so you'll be living off of what supplies you bought.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:55 PM

106 posts, read 568,338 times
Default Let's see

I live in Valrico central Florida, the builder I don't know it off hand as of now all I know is a David Weekly home one level built in 2003 shingles on roof don't know the kind, concrete walls, sorry I have to get more details but going by what some of you said it will not survive a cat5 hurricane.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:03 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike28 View Post
I live in Valrico central Florida, the builder I don't know it off hand as of now all I know is a David Weekly home one level built in 2003 shingles on roof don't know the kind, concrete walls, sorry I have to get more details but going by what some of you said it will not survive a cat5 hurricane.

This was a cat-5 in 1992. Note the trees and the block walls. And yes it was a tie-beam.
A cat-5 is a strong storm. Most of the people that say my home was ok were outside the strong wind area. I have been here all my life and had to go to alot of areas that have been hit hard and its never easy to see what a storm can do.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:04 PM

713 posts, read 2,670,012 times
We are about 7 mins. from water, the ocean so we get direct hits. We have lived through all the strong hurricanes in a 20 year, wood frame home and just lost a few shingles and a free tree limbs. (Our neighbor's shed landed up in our tree). IMHO, keep trees trimmed, lose objects indoors, use your hurricane shutters, go to a shelter if you feel safer (sometimes we go/sometimes we stay put) and you'll have a home to return to when the storm clears.

Last edited by House4Sale; 08-18-2007 at 02:20 PM..

Old 08-18-2007, 01:51 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I think the last statement is a little misleading as no one knows if their home will be standing after a hurricane especially anything above a cat2 and good probablity it won't be if it is a cat5. Since you live in Valrico you should check your area to see when you should leave. Cat1 or 2 you will probably be OK. It all depends on if it is a direct hit. Tampa hasn't had a direct hit in many years, usually the hurricane goes south or north of Tampa, but that doesn't mean you won't have rain and wind. Get hurricane shutters and a generator, make a hurricane box with food and other necessities, gasoline, water, ice and don't forget money..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: