U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Waterfront fixer upper vs. newer house for sale: investment aspects, home improvement, mature community

Old 12-14-2006, 07:02 AM

317 posts, read 1,123,066 times

Advertisements

But I've got yet another question which I think deserves its own thread. It is more of an investment question for those of you who seem to have some excellent perspectives on market conditions.

I've looked at homes in Satellite Beach, for example. Now... I could buy a fixer upper, older home (like from the 60s or early 70s), in an "older home community" where many of the homes are still old and haven't been fixed up or rebuilt... for approx $400K on a canal, lake, lagoon...lets just call it waterfront.

OR...I could spend that $400 on a newer (not brand new) home, in a newer community that is NOT on any type of water -- net net -- a much "nicer" home.

Now....what do you all think and what would you do if you had this choice?

Thanks. Now I will be quiet and go back to work looking for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 07:22 AM

698 posts, read 2,466,796 times
Smile Where to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post

But I've got yet another question which I think deserves its own thread. It is more of an investment question for those of you who seem to have some excellent perspectives on market conditions.

I've looked at homes in Satellite Beach, for example. Now... I could buy a fixer upper, older home (like from the 60s or early 70s), in an "older home community" where many of the homes are still old and haven't been fixed up or rebuilt... for approx $400K on a canal, lake, lagoon...lets just call it waterfront.

OR...I could spend that $400 on a newer (not brand new) home, in a newer community that is NOT on any type of water -- net net -- a much "nicer" home.

Now....what do you all think and what would you do if you had this choice?

Thanks. Now I will be quiet and go back to work looking for a job.
More important than the investment aspects, ask yourself:
Do you want to spend time on home improvements (with a fixer) or spend more time relaxing and enjoying other things? (At least for a while, until the "newer" house ages and needs its own fixing.)
Do you like mature communities or ones just developing personality?
Is the ability to get homeowner's insurance a concern? Older homes are more difficult and costlier to insure, You will probably have to go with Citizen's, the highest priced coverage.
Will you use the amenities enough to warrant buying there, i.e. waterfront? If you HAVE to have water in FL then the choice is simple.
Personally I would choose an older community just because I enjoy that kind of thing, though the idea of less maintenance, lower costs and possibly more free time does appeal too. One thing I would never buy is a zero lot line home in a winding sea of cookie cutter houses. That's my idea of hell on earth.
Best of luck choosing! House hunting is fun!

Old 12-14-2006, 07:22 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,054,558 times
Nancy, research the hurricane codes for the county you decide you want to live in. A newer home (I think it's after 2002) will not only save you insurance costs but it will survive 140 mph winds.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:29 PM

68 posts, read 207,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Nancy, research the hurricane codes for the county you decide you want to live in. A newer home (I think it's after 2002) will not only save you insurance costs but it will survive 140 mph winds.
Have you seen a house survive 140 mph winds ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or