U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:19 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,204,253 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Maybe some of you can assist me. I'm looking into a quick weekend getaway with my wife to the beach. I found a few deals online for the Destin area, but do any of you have suggestions as to which areas to look at more than others? We live in Nashville and would be driving down possibly sometime between now and June.

Any input would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 11:30 AM

440 posts, read 2,241,094 times
We would highly recommend staying along the Scenic Highway 30A and the Beaches of South Walton rather than Destin or Ft Walton. It's just a few minutes east of Destin. If you have any questions or need any suggestions, we'd be happy to help!

Old 04-02-2008, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the info. There are some great places over there. I'll probably have a few more questions.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:38 PM

440 posts, read 2,241,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Thanks for the info. There are some great places over there. I'll probably have a few more questions.
It really is absolutely beautiful here ... today is perfect, 73 degrees & sunny, emerald green / blue clean, clear water ....

Feel free to ask any questions and we will do our best to answer .....

Old 04-02-2008, 01:50 PM

62 posts, read 315,641 times
They are both heaven.

Destin is more pricey but traffic stinks that time of year. So if your already in Destin it saves time on the road.

Much more to do in Destin but the beaches are the same.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:09 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,254,931 times
Thumbs up Paradise

Destin is by far the tourist paradise, but the Fort Walton Beach beaches are also great. You can also visit the historic ares of Pcola, Pensacola Beach, Gulf Breeze Zoo, the USAF Armament Museum in FWB, Black Water river, the Caverns, PCOLA NAS Museum,and other places in the area. The Northwest are has a lot to offer for all type of budgets.

You selected the right choice enjoy. The following link might help:

EmeraldCoast.com: Navigate Florida's Emerald Coast!
Home - Destin~Fort Walton Beach~Okaloosa Island~Florida

Old 04-03-2008, 09:49 AM

83 posts, read 354,726 times
Yeah you really can't go wrong with either...if you want something more busy hit Destin, if you want something laid back hit FWB...or you could stay in one place and drive the 15 minutes to the other to take advantage of both area's!

Old 04-12-2008, 08:23 PM

11 posts, read 214,729 times
Well I'm biased since I have a condo on Okaloosa Island. But I've been enjoying the Emerald Coast since childhood. The beaches are great all along the coast. It is the reason we bought the condo to spend time there when we can. As mentioned, the Destin area and that direction are higher priced due to more tourist activity. Since I have a brother and nephews in FWB, we spend most of our time in that area, but Destin is an easy drive if I want more shopping and activities. Depends on what atmosphere you're looking for.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:05 AM

We might try to go in May, but the hotels I've contacted so far are all booked up. They suggest that I come down during the week instead. We might just wait until August.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:06 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,492,332 times
You might want to try looking into rental houses or condos that would accommodate you for a weekend visit. That is what I did when I came to visit before moving to the area last July and only booked the condo in a month in advance. Just look online for some deals on rental properties.......May is not considered the high season so you might be able to find a really nice place that is affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or