U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 09:13 AM

988 posts, read 488,577 times

Advertisements

The lines will move as temperature and rainfall changes. The difference from one side of a line to the other is subtle, not gross. If you have a species that survives in 9a and not 9b, then 9a gives them the bare minimum of resources, and 9b doesn't. The line of distribution for that plant, or snake, whatever, is limited by a small change from one zone to the next. One degree change moves the line, in theory. The catch is models for distribution are incomplete and inexact, like all models. More factors matter than can be measured or accounted for. But temperature and rainfall are biggies. Should move stuff, especially over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 09:24 AM

1,996 posts, read 1,165,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post

Nice MAP, there are 2 Zones 9. The Greek Empire falls within the confines of Zone 9A
Hernando County is 9A and Pinellas 10A? That's a pretty big change over such a short distance. Wonder why that is. Hernando is literally in the same zone as coastal Georgia.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:28 AM

1,790 posts, read 748,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Hernando County is 9A and Pinellas 10A? That's a pretty big change over such a short distance. Wonder why that is. Hernando is literally in the same zone as coastal Georgia.
I guess that would be a great question to throw back to the USDA.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:36 AM

13,572 posts, read 9,255,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
A chunk of Pinellas has water on 3 sides clyde. There have been full grown coconuts growing in south St pete forever. It is as warm as Miami in south St Pete. It can be 30 at my house and 42 in south St Pete. Once you go about 50 miles north of Tampa is gets much colder and even more so inland.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
coconuts are hardy in zone 9....Tarpon Springs has always been zone 9
Buy a clue magoo. Coconuts never made it made north of Clearwater back in the 80's thanks to the super freezes. Most were killed well south of Tampa back in the Xmas of 83 freeze when it got to 19f in Tampa. Even in 81 most got killed well south of Tampa. People re plant grant and once a big freeze hits they die sly. Just the last 8 years have warmed up so much they are being planted well north of where they should be. And if we ever get another super freez they will die again jan. Coconuts can't take below 27f for more than 4 hours.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
A chunk of Pinellas has water on 3 sides clyde. There have been full grown coconuts growing in south St pete forever. It is as warm as Miami in south St Pete. It can be 30 at my house and 42 in south St Pete. Once you go about 50 miles north of Tampa is gets much colder and even more so inland.

Really Frikken INTERESTING, this ZONES thing .... I lived in Largo between 1973 and 1988 and I was shocked to see that in Seminole there were Mango Trees full of Fruits, after normally 3 or 4 freezes in Winter.

Granted they are very small compared to the ones that grow in Miami, yet edible.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
Really Frikken INTERESTING, this ZONES thing .... I lived in Largo between 1973 and 1988 and I was shocked to see that in Seminole there were Mango Trees full of Fruits, after normally 3 or 4 freezes in Winter.

Granted they are very small compared to the ones that grow in Miami, yet edible.
Just a few miles here or there can make a diff on temps where some plants grow grant and some don't. Being near the water helps.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Just a few miles here or there can make a diff on temps where some plants grow grant and some don't. Being near the water helps.

Not changing the subject but the Water nearness helps, In Portland Maine close to anywhere in Castco Bay, I have been in there in the DEAD of Winter and where 10 mls inland you freeze to death, by the Bay I could live there all year, and winters would not kill me at all !!! I found it to be a pleasant cold weather if there is such animal

Old 09-22-2018, 10:22 AM

2,630 posts, read 775,567 times
LOL...what a maroon....you buy a clue
You claim coconuts are 'growing' further north.....and then say people are planting them and they will get killed in the next freeze....people are just planting them further north

Tarpon Springs is 9B BTW......not 9A

You're talking local weather.....local weather is not global warming
This is global warming..... 8/10 of a degree

https://suyts.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/image6.png

Old 09-22-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post

Tarpon Springs is 9B BTW......not 9A
Unless the photo of the Fla Map with the Zones that I posted one page behind here is outdated, and of course that is a possibility as I am NOT an expert...They are the Ones asigning that Zone to The Greeks and Pasco County (My Great Grandfather was From The Peloponesus).

If I made a Misnake, Not my Fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida