U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 09:39 AM

1,790 posts, read 743,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Problem with taking buses like Red Coach and trains, is that by the time you drive to the station, park, get on the bus, get going, get dropped off, get another ride to your final location in Orlando, etc... You end up with a substantial addition to the quick 3 hours it would have taken to just drive. And you pay a heck of a lot more than the cost of fuel/tolls for the pleasure of arriving 2 hours later.

I'm intrigued by the Brightline. But I don't see buses being the answer, at all. Even with the quality of a provider like Red Coach.

I rather use Megabus, whixh I do already, specially the ride to Tampa for me is super easy at both ends of the trip from Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 10:14 AM

9,499 posts, read 6,496,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
I rather use Megabus, whixh I do already, specially the ride to Tampa for me is super easy at both ends of the trip from Miami
Yeah the Tampa stop is fine. It stops right downtown at the main hub. Same with Amtrak. It's easy to get around once you're there. Orlando is the only one I have an issue with.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:48 AM

2,113 posts, read 1,360,222 times
Some additional food for thought. With the rapid growth of self driving cars and even just semi-autonomous cars... highway driving is getting easier and easier. Even my car from 2014 will stay in it's lane, slow down automatically for traffic, etc. Fully hands off driving on the turnpike. It makes it more relaxing and easier than ever. And once fully autonomous becomes a thing, it's not going to make people want to use mass transit for an Orlando trip more, it's going to make people want to use mass transit less.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:51 PM

14,579 posts, read 3,857,037 times
Quote:
I'm intrigued by the Brightline. But I don't see buses being the answer, at all. Even with the quality of a provider like Red Coach.
Well, obviously we'd love some high speed rail up both coasts and then tied together through Orlando. But the money was turned down...and if we started today, it would be at least a decade before the first route opened.

Gotta get these lines to make a stop in Sarasota - that would be nice as I have to get to Gainesville to see family and I'd prefer to not drive. But as of now driving is the way.

I'm a believer in solutions - one of them almost instant would be for the State to somewhat force airlines to run some of the routes non-stop. This can be done in various friendly ways - the state spends a lot of money giving breaks to businesses. They can surely help Southwest to do some FLL-SRQ and similar non-stops at a relatively low price.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Some additional food for thought. With the rapid growth of self driving cars and even just semi-autonomous cars... highway driving is getting easier and easier. Even my car from 2014 will stay in it's lane, slow down automatically for traffic, etc. Fully hands off driving on the turnpike. It makes it more relaxing and easier than ever. And once fully autonomous becomes a thing, it's not going to make people want to use mass transit for an Orlando trip more, it's going to make people want to use mass transit less.
What is the true time frame of older vehicles and drivers being made illegal? And every truck? That would have to happen for the promised land of less traffic and full autonomous cars to take hold.

It would seem that at least 20 years would be needed...if we started today. But we're not starting today.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:20 AM

2,320 posts, read 838,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, obviously we'd love some high speed rail up both coasts and then tied together through Orlando. But the money was turned down...and if we started today, it would be at least a decade before the first route opened.

Gotta get these lines to make a stop in Sarasota - that would be nice as I have to get to Gainesville to see family and I'd prefer to not drive. But as of now driving is the way.

I'm a believer in solutions - one of them almost instant would be for the State to somewhat force airlines to run some of the routes non-stop. This can be done in various friendly ways - the state spends a lot of money giving breaks to businesses. They can surely help Southwest to do some FLL-SRQ and similar non-stops at a relatively low price.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/technolo...-larry-ellison

California's rail system's original cost $33B final actual cost $77B. Too costly as compared to more environmentally sound and less costly alternatives.

SE Florida's All Aboard Briteline has already killed a few people, and it's only 1/3rd done. Trains are mostly empty, and the owner wont disclose ridership figures, so a private group did it, and confirmed that the trains were mostly empty.

In 2017, MARTA in Atlanta lost $520,000,000 in operating cash as its revenues continue to fall and costs rise. Huge Pension shortfalls.

Public transit winds up costing 2x original projections, generates reveunues much less than projected, and the employee Pensions they promise wind up underfunded and drain away any chance of future profits.

Obviously Musk and Ellison have financial stakes in CA not comleting their high speed rail, but even Gov Brown agrees with them.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Obviously Musk and Ellison have financial stakes in CA not comleting their high speed rail, but even Gov Brown agrees with them.
Mountains differ from flat lands.
Fully developed areas differ from those just getting there.

Rail in Florida would be about as inexpensive as it could possibly be.
Existing lines fail because they probably don't go where people need to go.

Vast numbers of train systems the world over are crucial to the societies and environment. In the USA, Boston, NYC, the Bay Area and even DC could hardly survive without their subways and other systems.

The only reason Florida is different is because everything in Florida is done in the temporary and easy way. Since it has largely been for tourists and retirees the voters and planner have never taken the long view and considered that 40 million year-round residents may someday reside there.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:20 PM

2,320 posts, read 838,682 times
Quote:
Mountains differ from flat lands.
Fully developed areas differ from those just getting there.

Rail in Florida would be about as inexpensive as it could possibly be.
Existing lines fail because they probably don't go where people need to go.

Vast numbers of train systems the world over are crucial to the societies and environment. In the USA, Boston, NYC, the Bay Area and even DC could hardly survive without their subways and other systems.

The only reason Florida is different is because everything in Florida is done in the temporary and easy way. Since it has largely been for tourists and retirees the voters and planner have never taken the long view and considered that 40 million year-round residents may someday reside there.
New York City Joins The “Imminent Bankruptcy” Club - GoldSeek.com

NYC is teetering on bankrupcy according to this article, so have no money to fix the delapidated subway system. They have the highest taxes in America, but can't keep the trains running, or keep the promises they made to retired city workers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/n...y-signals.html

Nearly every Dem run city has enviromental issues they have no money to address, unfunded pension plans, crumbling infrastructure, homelessness, gang crime MS13, drug overdoses,and on and on.

Nobody can afford the trains. They are built with loans (gov't backed bonds), the actual cost to build is 2x the original bids, then they immediately start losing money. Then they age and decay into disrepair. All the while, all the emloyees who operate them are promised unsustainable cadillac healthcare plans and pensions. It's a house of cards, and we all know how it ends....badly.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 11-02-2018 at 12:36 PM..

Old 11-02-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I would never agree with the idea of forcing a private company to run a non-profitable route. Southwest already does Orlando > FLL and it's obviously profitable enough. But SRQ - FLL - no way, there would be nowhere near enough demand. Some smaller airlines like Silver might be willing if there is enough demand.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
What is the true time frame of older vehicles and drivers being made illegal? And every truck? That would have to happen for the promised land of less traffic and full autonomous cars to take hold.

It would seem that at least 20 years would be needed...if we started today. But we're not starting today.
Autonomous cars literally already exist. And semi-autonomous cars have been around for 5 years now. Cadillac has the new totally hands free "Super Cruise" already out. You can literally just sit back and relax and the car will drive the highway portion for you. For hours, without touching the wheel. We don't need ALL cars to be driverless to have driverless cars. As I said, these cars literally already exist on the streets. They just have a person sitting there in case anything goes wrong. But yeah, as for hands free highway driving and semi-autonomous - like driving to Orlando, that is already on the streets and has been for some time now. Even my car does it pretty well. It doesn't handle sharper turns that well, but I can often go 20 minutes or so without touching the wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or