U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 01:49 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,642,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Having a mortgage or not isn't any part of the tax equasion. It's not like my taxes would be lower if I didn't have a mortgage, so I'm not sure what your logic is.
My logic is you chose to buy a 400k house. You didn't have to, and if you downsize further, your taxes will go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk
We will probably downsize into a state with lower taxes and it might be CA if it hasn't fallen into the Pacific by then, and when you have no income (once we are retired) then income taxes won't matter much, will they?
Oh sure. Because California is known for its easy going tax burden.

BTW, you will be lucky to have no taxable income at retirement, and still be able to live.

Reference for everyone: "Tax burden" by state: Tax rates: Where does your state rank? - Apr. 14, 2009 (Fl.# 47 of 50). See also, TAX BURDEN BY STATE (Fl #39 of 50).

All in all, Floridians have it pretty good. As for property taxes, "Oppressive" is an overstatement at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 01:54 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,456,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
My logic is you chose to buy a 400k house. You didn't have to, and if you downsize further, your taxes will go down.
You are missing the point. I'm paying significantly higher taxes than many others around me do, when my home is smaller, simply because I haven't lived in it for over six or under two years. That's ridiculous. Additionally we feel very, very deceived by the tax assessor who gave us a figure that was only 50% of what our taxes actually ended up being.

Quote:
Like I said, we might downsize and go there, who knows. At the rate we're headed with taxes in FL, we likely will have higher taxes than CA in 20 years.

Quote:
BTW, you will be lucky to have no taxable income at retirement, and still be able to live.

Reference for everyone: "Tax burden" by state: Tax rates: Where does your state rank? - Apr. 14, 2009 (Fl.# 47 of 50). See also, TAX BURDEN BY STATE (Fl #39 of 50).

All in all, Floridians have it pretty good. As for property taxes, "Oppressive" is an overstatement at best.
We'll have some taxable income, but we've got good financial planning and are getting things set to have a minimal tax liability. And you don't think that $10K is oppressive when those around me in larger homes are paying $3K?

Old 03-19-2010, 01:57 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,717,918 times
The Tax Foundation - Property Taxes on Owner-Occupied Housing by State, 2004 - 2008

Old 03-19-2010, 02:02 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,717,918 times
Quote:
In California property taxes as a percent of home value are .61%

In Florida property taxes as a percent of home value are .85%

Old 03-19-2010, 02:04 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,642,559 times
Quote:
You are missing the point. I'm paying significantly higher taxes than many others around me do, when my home is smaller, simply because I haven't lived in it for over six or under two years. That's ridiculous.
It's homestead. Should you stay in your home for 30 years, you too will enjoy the benefit.

BTW, I'm not positive, but I think CA's Prop 13 causes the same disparity in tax burden.

Quote:
Additionally we feel very, very deceived by the tax assessor who gave us a figure that was only 50% of what our taxes actually ended up being.
When did you get this estimate? What the current owners are paying in taxes has no bearing on what a subsequent buyer will pay.

Quote:
We'll have some taxable income, but we've got good financial planning and are getting things set to have a minimal tax liability. And you don't think that $10K is oppressive when those around me in larger homes are paying $3K?
Again, forget what your neighbors are paying. They've lived there for a long time, obviously. The longer you stay, the more you too will realize the benefit of a capped increase.

I also have neighbors whose homes are assessed for more and pay less, but it doesn't bother me. I can write property taxes off on my own taxes, and get a larger return.

Homestead helps old people on fixed incomes from being taxed out of their homes as their property values increase. It's a tax shelter.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:26 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,155,474 times
Quote:
You are missing the point. I'm paying significantly higher taxes than many others around me do, when my home is smaller, simply because I haven't lived in it for over six or under two years. That's ridiculous. Additionally we feel very, very deceived by the tax assessor who gave us a figure that was only 50% of what our taxes actually ended up being.

Like I said, we might downsize and go there, who knows. At the rate we're headed with taxes in FL, we likely will have higher taxes than CA in 20 years.

You don't have to be so surprised about taxes. They are based on millage and easy to compute. You don't need to wait with for your tax bill and open it for the result like it is a game. Just figure out your tax before hand. There are sometimes extras in there, like 1/3 of my tax is for some kind of fire department thing they added a few years ago but the tax it's self is no surprise. The mistake a lot of people make is thinking their tax will be what the last owner was paying. Tax is reset when the property gets a new owner. They may be paying $1200.00 and you will have to pay $3000.00 but it is not hard to know, just look it up. Visit the property appraisers web site for your county and read up on it and also look up your own property.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
It's homestead. Should you stay in your home for 30 years, you too will enjoy the benefit.
30 years from now they will still be paying 65% lower taxes than we are--and they've only lived there three years longer than we have.

Quote:
When did you get this estimate? What the current owners are paying in taxes has no bearing on what a subsequent buyer will pay.
There were no "current owners" we built the home. We called and gave them the address and purchase price, and they told us they couldn't be exact, but it would be between $4K and $6K. We got a tax bill for $10K in 2005. That's not a "little over" the figure they gave us, that's not even close.

Quote:
Again, forget what your neighbors are paying. They've lived there for a long time, obviously. The longer you stay, the more you too will realize the benefit of a capped increase.
You are wrong again. Neighbors across the street with a home worth $250K more than mine are paying 10% more in taxes--they closed last year. Neighbors two doors down have been in the home three years longer than us and are paying $3K in taxes for a house worth more than ours. All were new construction built between 2001 and 2007.

Quote:
I also have neighbors whose homes are assessed for more and pay less, but it doesn't bother me. I can write property taxes off on my own taxes, and get a larger return.
It's not a 100% writeoff.

Quote:
Homestead helps old people on fixed incomes from being taxed out of their homes as their property values increase. It's a tax shelter.
If EVERYONE paid based on an equitable basis, no one would be taxed out of anything, unless they were in very expensive homes--and frankly I don't have a lot of sympathy for someone living in a million+ dollar home that says they can't afford it.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:46 AM

2,996 posts, read 4,903,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I am not sure if you are categorizing anyone with nice stuff as phonies or it is sour grapes or you resent someone being successful and enjoying the fruits of their hard work. I don't get your post at all. In the same respect, living in a trailer or on a small farm or driving an old pick up truck does not necessarily mean you are poor. I used to travel in my RV and always was running into some guy in a gas station sitting in his bib overalls BS'ing with a bunch of guys looking like he doesn't have a pot to pi$$ in who owns a 1000 acres of tobacco down the road. You can't judge people by the way they look and people have different priorities and that may even be they feel the need to show off for what ever reason. So be it if it makes them feel good. Many people may even have jobs that require a certain image even if it may be somewhat put-on. Why the constant need to judge people?

People who are big spenders spread the wealth around and make for a lively economy. One of the problems with Florida is the wealth that just stays in the bank. Retires come to Florida and don't spend a cent beyond the purchase of their condo if they can help it. They use political influence to try to shape Florida to their narrow minded wants needs with no regard for younger families trying to just get by. I remember when I owned a pool room and bar I had a bunch of old guys coming in the day time and they wanted a special price. I didn't really care so I set up a system so they could play all day and hang out for a small price. It took no time at all before they are complaining about the music, they didn't like the younger players having a good time, they never tipped the bartender as they drank up my free coffee I provided for the pool players.

It came to a head when a few of them came in on a Saturday night and when they came up to pay didn't want to pay the bill, they told the girl they got special rates, mean time there is a waiting list for tables as they want to play for pretty much nothing all night. I get a call at home asking what this is all about from the barmaid. I told her to just charge them what they thought the owed. The next day I ended the special deals and they never came in again. After all I did for them I find out I was nothing more to them then a sucker they judged by what they could get out of me for nothing. I honestly have little use for the retirees and old people here who have turned Florida into dead issue for the working class. I guess I got a little off subject but it is the truth.
The purpose of my post was to simply indicate that so many Americans are caught up in the superficiality of trying to impress others by their fancy houses, fancy cars, expensive suits, etc... , living way beyond their means, and feeling entitled ..... not all, but most. As for paying 'high' property taxes, I cant understand why one would complain about that it they have chosen for themselves a home that is expensive in an upscale area --- why shouldnt they have to pay a whopping amount in property taxes (?)

Old 03-20-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
The purpose of my post was to simply indicate that so many Americans are caught up in the superficiality of trying to impress others by their fancy houses, fancy cars, expensive suits, etc... , living way beyond their means, and feeling entitled ..... not all, but most. As for paying 'high' property taxes, I cant understand why one would complain about that it they have chosen for themselves a home that is expensive in an upscale area --- why shouldnt they have to pay a whopping amount in property taxes (?)
My complaint is not the amount of taxes that I am paying, but rather that I'm paying significantly more in taxes than others who have more expensive homes that have been living in them for only a few years longer, or in some cases only slightly less than people in much more expensive homes who have been living in them for less than a year. If I was paying the same amount as someone with an equal value home in my neighborhood, I wouldn't be complaining.

And for the record, we are far from living "way beyond our means"--over 20% of our gross income goes into savings every year. Can you say that?

Old 03-20-2010, 08:32 AM

749 posts, read 2,092,702 times
My jaw dropped to the floor in disbelief when I learned my g/f's relatives in MI pay taxes twice a year......winter and summer taxes, and just thier summer taxes alone where way more than my whole year taxes. I'll take FL taxes anyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or