U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 03:13 PM

2,328 posts, read 842,644 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who has a condo (ground level not a high rise) across the street from the high rises on the Western edge of PCB. His condo's fine, and the water surge did not make it over the dunes. Fence damage not windows blown out, roof fine. Maybe the high rises across the street blocked the wind. Key is the surge did not breach there.

That leads me to believe Spring break will be in full swing come March. They have almost 6 months to fix it up, and from what I hear, that area near the pier and the outdoor mall faired quite well. They were on the West side of the storm while Mexico Beach was on the East side...huge diff.

Regarding stricter post Andrew building codes...did you notice in some of these Mexico Beach pictures that some homes/condos were standing and had minor damage while homes/condos right next door were leveled? I think that is due to the change in building codes. I realize Tornado's can wipe out 1 side of the street while leaving homes right across the street okay, but this was a hurricane.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 10-12-2018 at 03:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 03:43 PM

7,648 posts, read 16,033,018 times
For several years, the post-Andrew building codes in the Panhandle were not as strict as those in the Peninsula because 'we don't get storms that strong up here'. Needless to say, that's now looking like a significant mistake.

https://glassmagazine.com/news-item/...code-exemption

Old 10-12-2018, 05:14 PM

41 posts, read 19,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I have a friend who has a condo (ground level not a high rise) across the street from the high rises on the Western edge of PCB. His condo's fine, and the water surge did not make it over the dunes. Fence damage not windows blown out, roof fine. Maybe the high rises across the street blocked the wind. Key is the surge did not breach there.

That leads me to believe Spring break will be in full swing come March. They have almost 6 months to fix it up, and from what I hear, that area near the pier and the outdoor mall faired quite well. They were on the West side of the storm while Mexico Beach was on the East side...huge diff.

Regarding stricter post Andrew building codes...did you notice in some of these Mexico Beach pictures that some homes/condos were standing and had minor damage while homes/condos right next door were leveled? I think that is due to the change in building codes. I realize Tornado's can wipe out 1 side of the street while leaving homes right across the street okay, but this was a hurricane.
I did see this. I will definently buy a newer home when I move down, and make sure its up to code.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Insurance is the reason it will take ages. Donations are probably meant to help people live if they've lost everything, not really to rebuild their homes and businesses.

Have you ever lived anywhere that had a natural disaster like this? It takes quite a while to rebuild. There are not enough contractors, roofers, etc. to just work on everything immediately. Roads have to be cleared, trees cut down, etc.

Punta Gorda took a direct hit from Charley, and the destruction was still evident months later. Pretty sure that people were still talking about having tarps on roofs and were living with relatives for 6 months to a year afterwards.

Panama City is a big spring break destination--remains to be seen if it is this year.
I literally just answered that question. Go back and look at page two.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:58 AM

1,100 posts, read 540,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunalvr View Post
Yo, this isn't about being negative. This is about being realistic. My family and friends have experienced devastation unlike anything they have before. Entire neighborhoods are destroyed. Beach communities have been wiped off the planet. For them, right now, it is the end of their world. Have some sensitivity, jesus.
I agree. I lived in Tallahassee for about fourteen years. I worked in PC for a few years and know that route 20 very well across the Panhandle.

It is extremely rare for a hurricane that hits the FL Panhandle to REMAIN a hurricane into Georgia. That's when I knew it was just extremely bad - a special horror. I saw facebook videos of the damage in PC, Tyndall AFB, PCB, Lynn Haven, Tallahassee, Marianna, Mexico Beach, etc. It will take years to rebuild from that. I drove through Tropical Storm Frances in Georgia on I-75. A day earlier, it had hit Central FL as a hurricane but faded quickly inland. It had actually weakened enough to drive through it near Macon, GA. But not Hurricane Michael.

I am glad I moved back to AZ. When I first moved to FL in 2002, a local person told me a worst-case scenario would be a huge hurricane to hit the area near New Orleans. Then Katrina hit in 2005. After working in PC I had the impression a major hurricane hitting PCB would be on a similar scale. It was actually the worse to hit PCB since 1851 when records were kept. I don't recall any hurricane closing I-10 like that when I lived in FL with the exception of Ivan near Pensacola when it damaged the bridge. The roads branching east of Tallahassee and north of PCB are impassable. Route 20 was inundated with trees. So was 293. Is Ebro, FL still there?

In all the years I lived in FL I don't recall a hurricane from the Gulf remaining a hurricane as it went into Georgia. Hurricane Michael was a Category 3 going in to Bainbridge inland. It was still a hurricane up by Cordele near Albany which is not too far east of Columbus, GA. That is normally unheard - a rare fast moving hurricane that went far inland. Back in the 1990s, I understand Opal was similar. But even that wasn't as strong as Hurricane Michael. Only Andrew, Camille, and the Labor Day Hurricane of the 1930s were stronger as I understand it.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I agree. I lived in Tallahassee for about fourteen years. I worked in PC for a few years and know that route 20 very well across the Panhandle.

It is extremely rare for a hurricane that hits the FL Panhandle to REMAIN a hurricane into Georgia. That's when I knew it was just extremely bad - a special horror. I saw facebook videos of the damage in PC, Tyndall AFB, PCB, Lynn Haven, Tallahassee, Marianna, Mexico Beach, etc. It will take years to rebuild from that. I drove through Tropical Storm Frances in Georgia on I-75. A day earlier, it had hit Central FL as a hurricane but faded quickly inland. It had actually weakened enough to drive through it near Macon, GA. But not Hurricane Michael.

I am glad I moved back to AZ. When I first moved to FL in 2002, a local person told me a worst-case scenario would be a huge hurricane to hit the area near New Orleans. Then Katrina hit in 2005. After working in PC I had the impression a major hurricane hitting PCB would be on a similar scale. It was actually the worse to hit PCB since 1851 when records were kept. I don't recall any hurricane closing I-10 like that when I lived in FL with the exception of Ivan near Pensacola when it damaged the bridge. The roads branching east of Tallahassee and north of PCB are impassable. Route 20 was inundated with trees. So was 293. Is Ebro, FL still there?

In all the years I lived in FL I don't recall a hurricane from the Gulf remaining a hurricane as it went into Georgia. Hurricane Michael was a Category 3 going in to Bainbridge inland. It was still a hurricane up by Cordele near Albany which is not too far east of Columbus, GA. That is normally unheard - a rare fast moving hurricane that went far inland. Back in the 1990s, I understand Opal was similar. But even that wasn't as strong as Hurricane Michael. Only Andrew, Camille, and the Labor Day Hurricane of the 1930s were stronger as I understand it.
🙄
Id rather live in Florida with a tropical storm risk, than live in Arizona with 115 degree weather and no beach.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:32 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,571,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

Panama City is a big spring break destination--remains to be seen if it is this year.
You are a few years behind, PCB is no longer a big Spring Break destination since alcohol was banned on the beach.
Families are returning and so far 2018 is a record for tourism. We are going to take a hit until everything gets back in order but the big attractions on the west end already have power restored and are coming back to life. Our east end, not so much as of yet with no power, water, internet, or even cell service thanks to Verizon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida