U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:22 PM

331 posts, read 1,409,775 times

Advertisements

Along the coast from southern part of Palm Beach county through the northern half of Broward, imho.
SW Florida is also excellent mid-October through mid-May, but less breeze/more humidity in the summer.

Last edited by outsider1; 04-07-2008 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 06:35 PM

331 posts, read 1,409,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
Thanks for all the great feedback! It seems fairly unanimous that Northern Coastal Florida (Jax to Daytona) has the best climate for greatest year-round comfort in the state.

What's your favorite town to live in this zone and why?
St. Augustine and Ponte Vedra Beach. The first one is within 35 miles of Jacksonville, the second one is closer, about 20. Why? They would be very hard to beat in that whole area(and much of Fl actually) in terms of quality of life. I doubt that the area boasts the best weather in Florida though. Also if your lifestyle requires you to be rather gainfully employed, be prepared to drive to Jacksonville.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:08 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,728,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
97 is about as hot as it ever gets in Orlando, but any time it is over 92 you will pay for it. I ride a motorcycle year round in Orlando and I either have to drink a pint of water or Gatorade every thirty minutes, or I have to wear a special cooling vest. I don't even dream of wearing a leather jacket in that kind of weather (I do wear a helmet and it is also somewhat hot, but better than no helmet). As a result in the summer I do most of my riding at dawn and dusk. Even in the summertime in the morning the humidity is unreal and I go through alot of anti-fog goop just to see.

Daytona is slightly cooler than Orlando because there is usually a breeze in the summer. It is still hot but not as funky as Orlando. Lakeland is a little worse than Orlando. July in Lakeland is unreal, it's like a sauna.
Thank God, a smart biker! I always get so nervous for my friend/co-worker who rides w/o a helmet.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:12 PM

4 posts, read 19,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
If you had the means to spend the summer up north or in the mountains and spend winter in south Florida you would have the best of both worlds. Most of us however, cannot afford to own two homes.

With that said if one were to spend the entire year in FL, based on the mildest climate where would that be? In other words, you would avoid the cold temps of the winter, while limiting the hottest, most humid parts of summer.

Thanks for your feedback!

North Florida; the panhandle is soo beautiful, but not "big city". Orlando is soo hot in the summer; Miami is sooo beautiful too and has everything one could want including mega traffic, mega crime, and mega jobs.
Oh well, each to his own!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:47 AM

4,337 posts, read 6,026,640 times
Vero Beach - slogan ~ Where the tropics begin.

Actually, in the heat of the summer, it gets hotter and more humid as you drive north. I've been in VB for 3 years now and I've never seen over 93 yet we've gotten in our cars and driven to Jacksonville to find it 97 and much more humid.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:20 AM

15,112 posts, read 31,000,924 times
I think opinions are all over the map on this question. I'm a Florida native, it's hot and humid ALL over Florida - both coasts and central. I don't find the east coast cooler at all. The biggest difference is that it is much cooler in the winter in the northern half of the state.

I live in Lakeland and do not agree with the above poster about it being hotter here or worse than Orlando. No doubt when you are on the highway or a paved parking lot you will feel it when it is in the mid-90's, but in the core of the town all the hills, trees and lakes keep it cool and breezey and quite nice.

So as you see, it is all a matter of opinion, and what one prefers.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:38 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,360,148 times
what is that map supposed to tell? Are those UV indexes?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:12 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,512,081 times
What is that map for????

Old 06-13-2010, 10:12 PM

6 posts, read 17,786 times
True that Jacksonville gets somewhat of a sea breeze in the summer, but it is also true that no part of Florida is further than 65 miles from the ocean. Also, you have to consider that since Jacksonville is the largest (land wise) city in the U.S.A, so the UHI (urban-heat island) is in effect from downtown to west Jax. Anything outside of 2 miles from the beach feels oppressive! Matter of fact, I live 8 miles from the beach and walked outside today and looked at the thermometer (in the shade) and saw a reading of 99 degrees. It never gets that bad in Orlando. Definitely, Lake City, Tallahassee, and Pensacola. I'm pretty sure the heat index was around 110 in the shade. So much for the "breeze", more like hot air. Also, the humidity is about the same in North Florida and South Florida, it's just it doesn't feel like it with the "sea breeze". Jacksonville: only breeze comes from the Atlantic. Miami: Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico, and the Strait of Florida

Last edited by YoungWeatherSage904; 06-13-2010 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 07-26-2014, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,990 times
Jacksonville has a surprisingly variant temperatures and subsequent weather split by the St. Johns River.
It's like this:
Hottest to Coolest parts of Jax in Dayime: [hottest] Northwest/downtown, Southwest/Orange Park, Northeast/Arlington, Southeast/BayMeadows then Jax Beach [coolest]

Coldest to warmest Parts of Jax @ Nighttime are the same order as listed uptop, except Northeast jax gets colder than southwest jax some of the time.
In Short if you don't like temperature dips and spikes don't live either west of the st. johns or near the river at all. just move close to or at the Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida