U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 05:19 AM

27 posts, read 136,361 times

Advertisements

Maybe you should look at Reno Nevada. Growing area but the housing is still affordable and a lot to do there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 07:06 AM

511 posts, read 1,583,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie H View Post
OK ... I'm going to give away one of Florida's best kept secrets ... but only because I think you have received a lot of misinformation & I don't think your expectations are all that unrealistic. First, Tallahassee is our capital city & the home of several major universities. Translated - that means there is always something to do. We have nightlife & the university population attracts plenty of big name entertainment. We have a multitude of museums, great libraries, theaters, a symphony, sports & we lay claim to plenty of cutting edge technology. Tallahassee was one of the country's first "wired" communities. We are 25 miles from the coast & have numerous lakes - if you want to jet ski, swim or fish. We get a change of seasons & check out our weather records. Except for about 5 weeks of the year, the humidity is not an issue. We don't have palm trees, we have massive oaks & they are protected by local ordinance. That is one of the reasons we have very little pollution. We offer a wide choice of housing. My husband & I are looking at a 3,200 sq ft home - new - that is priced at $395,000. The 2,220 sq ft one across the street is priced at $235,000 & our taxes are under $1,000 per yr. Property taxes are lower than what I paid in Michigan & even Arkansas & we have no income tax. You don't pay sales tax on food or pharmacy stuff either. We have an extensive, national award-winning park system, public pools & gyms - 2 of which are operated by Golds. (But .. join Premiere instead!) I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce & - in case you are wondering, I've lived in 9 different states & 2 different countries & have chosen Tallahassee as my "forever" home. I wouldn't live anywhere else. We have a diverse population & welcome newcomers! Come on down & check us out! In the meantime, visit the Leon County, FL web site for an interesting overview.
Great post! Now I want to check out the capital of FL. I never even considered that town. My wife loves humid weather though, but anything is humid compared to NJ. No palms? That's a bit of a bummer.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:42 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,409,924 times
Quote:
OK ... I'm going to give away one of Florida's best kept secrets ... but only because I think you have received a lot of misinformation & I don't think your expectations are all that unrealistic. First, Tallahassee is our capital city & the home of several major universities. Translated - that means there is always something to do. We have nightlife & the university population attracts plenty of big name entertainment. We have a multitude of museums, great libraries, theaters, a symphony, sports & we lay claim to plenty of cutting edge technology. Tallahassee was one of the country's first "wired" communities. We are 25 miles from the coast & have numerous lakes - if you want to jet ski, swim or fish. We get a change of seasons & check out our weather records. Except for about 5 weeks of the year, the humidity is not an issue. We don't have palm trees, we have massive oaks & they are protected by local ordinance. That is one of the reasons we have very little pollution. We offer a wide choice of housing. My husband & I are looking at a 3,200 sq ft home - new - that is priced at $395,000. The 2,220 sq ft one across the street is priced at $235,000 & our taxes are under $1,000 per yr. Property taxes are lower than what I paid in Michigan & even Arkansas & we have no income tax. You don't pay sales tax on food or pharmacy stuff either. We have an extensive, national award-winning park system, public pools & gyms - 2 of which are operated by Golds. (But .. join Premiere instead!) I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce & - in case you are wondering, I've lived in 9 different states & 2 different countries & have chosen Tallahassee as my "forever" home. I wouldn't live anywhere else. We have a diverse population & welcome newcomers! Come on down & check us out! In the meantime, visit the Leon County, FL web site for an interesting overview.
You are right on, my wife goes there once a month to visit her mother and never wants to come back to Fort Lauderdale. We will be moving somewhere around there our selves soon. There is a lot of nice land just outside the city giving you the best of both worlds. You can live on a few nice acres country style, while being just a 15 minute drive from the city.

The Apalachicola National Forest is just south of the city and may account for the air readings in the area. They are some of the cleanest in the country. It really may be the most middle of the road, most to offer, best of everything city in the state. Although I feel compelled to write this, I also feel like I am giving away some kind of secret.

Just north of Tallahassee is a town called Havana you never hear mentioned that is cute with antique shops and is just getting back on it's feet after many years and worth looking into.
http://www.havanaflorida.com/

Old 12-28-2006, 09:56 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,730,131 times
Quote:
We offer a wide choice of housing. My husband & I are looking at a 3,200 sq ft home - new - that is priced at $395,000. The 2,220 sq ft one across the street is priced at $235,000 & our taxes are under $1,000 per yr. Property taxes are lower than what I paid in Michigan & even Arkansas & we have no income tax. You don't pay sales tax on food or pharmacy stuff either. We have an extensive, national award-winning park system, public pools & gyms - 2 of which are operated by Golds. (But .. join Premiere instead!) I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce & - in case you are wondering, I've lived in 9 different states & 2 different countries & have chosen Tallahassee as my "forever" home. I wouldn't live anywhere else. We have a diverse population & welcome newcomers! Come on down & check us out! In the meantime, visit the Leon County, FL web site for an interesting overview.
I just have a question for you. I live in Tallahassee and I was reviewing my tax bill just yesterday. My tax, on an assessed $175,000 value townhome in Southwood, was billed at over $3000

Did you really only pay $1000/year tax bills on a $200K + assessed home?!

Old 12-28-2006, 10:06 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,409,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I just have a question for you. I live in Tallahassee and I was reviewing my tax bill just yesterday. My tax, on an assessed $175,000 value townhome in Southwood, was billed at over $3000

Did you really only pay $1000/year tax bills on a $200K + assessed home?!
Thay have probably owned the house for a while and it is homesteaded + SOH. What is you current millage rate? How long have you owned the house?

Old 01-03-2007, 10:39 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,090,057 times
Allooak, there is a section at the bottom of this website where you can list property that you have for sale. If you put it there, it may be seen by more people cause people from other states search those threads, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or