U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2018, 01:47 PM

13 posts, read 7,369 times

Advertisements

Ok, I’ve gotta ask since it’s been mentioned a few times.... what is OP???

As far as the financial decision, I appreciate the concern. The fact is I’m VERY logical (IT!) and financially secure. I love math, ha! I’m full time work from home. My teammates are in KY, PA, FL actually, IN, OH.... so location really has no effect on my employment. It’s an amazing perk!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 01:49 PM

As far as traffic, it would really only be an issue when going to gym classes. I love classes, and they are typically timed after work...during rush hour. :/ But I already make it a priority here in Chicago, so I’d make it a priority wherever I am. Gym location would be a bigger priority than the beach. The gym is everyday. The beach would be prob once a week at most. After working and the gym, I’m typically done for the day!

Old 10-21-2018, 03:05 PM

123 posts, read 48,150 times
OP is "original poster".

I think most of us are rooting for you, hoping you make a good decision. It's kinda like moving back time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasnell76 View Post
Ok, Iíve gotta ask since itís been mentioned a few times.... what is OP???

As far as the financial decision, I appreciate the concern. The fact is Iím VERY logical (IT!) and financially secure. I love math, ha! Iím full time work from home. My teammates are in KY, PA, FL actually, IN, OH.... so location really has no effect on my employment. Itís an amazing perk!

Old 10-22-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_MD View Post
I lived in Naples for 3 years and for the OP, I would not recommend anywhere south of Tampa / St. Pete based on what he / she is looking for. Like a few others, I suggest checking out St. Pete. I think you may find it a bit nicer with enough variety of restaurants, wine bars, activities / meetup groups etc. I hear of more single professionals of various ages really enjoying living in or around St. Pete. Good luck and keep us posted.
I have thought of South (Ft Myers / Cape Coral), but it seems that's more for retirees. What you described above sounds like a great fit for me. I will definitely check out St. Pete. Thank you!

Old 10-22-2018, 08:11 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,514,384 times
In SW Florida, you might be farther from the gyms where you want to go for your classes. I know what you mean about going to the gym for classes, since I mainly go to the gym for the classes. The classes are scheduled and you need to find the instructors you like. Itís not about going to the gym to use the machines or free weights. Almost any gym and timeframe is OK for people that donít go to the classes at gyms.

An advantage of SW Florida is that the housing is less expensive than in a major metropolitan area, like the St Petersburg Tampa Bay Area. SW Florida is outside the normal commuting area from that major metropolitan area, so the real estate is much less expensive. Since youíre working from home, you only need a high speed, reliable, and maybe redundant Internet connection. There are devices that allow you to hook up several internet providers, such as both DSL and Cable, for more speed and redundancy. But it costs more if you pay for multiple providers. Maybe your cellphone hot spot would be good enough redundancy. We found that Verizonís coverage is much better that T-Mobile in Florida.

SW Florida has less younger people and gyms, but the lower cost of living would allow you to save a lot more money to increase you net worth faster, allowing you to retire earlier.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:35 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,296,332 times
Quote:
I have thought of South (Ft Myers / Cape Coral), but it seems that's more for retirees.
Chicago is a very young city - anywhere you go in Florida the older demographic will be extremely noticeable to you. (I'm originally from the Milwaukee area-same thing - younger population for sure.)

That being said, I think the St Pete area could be your best fit.

Best of luck!

Old 10-22-2018, 10:49 AM

Well I'm 42 so I do want older than what's here. I'm tired of friends being 7-10 yrs younger than me, and not being able to relate.

Gym classes... davephan - You get it! Totally about the instructor!!! I do think about retirement a lot. I'm aiming for 60, which means 18 yrs to go. So I like the sound of the lower cost of living you mentioned..... which sometimes makes me think I should just move back to IA and live like a Queen (financially), ha! Who knows....

Will check out everyone's advice in June in the sweltering heat and humidity

Old 10-22-2018, 12:35 PM

77 posts, read 24,741 times
I'm 47 and was in Naples from 44 until just recently (will continue to live 2/3 of the year in FL just not sure where).

In my experience, anyone in the greater Naples area who is late 30s through early 50s was married with kids or divorced with kids and only wanted to talk about kids (nothing wrong with that but I don't have anything in common with it). It was really hard to make friends (even harder to meet someone worth dating) who were within 5-10 years of my age, who worked and were active and did not fall into the above category.

Anyone younger was just of too different a mindset.

Anyone older (55+) who was not married typically fell into one of these categories: 1. wealthy, entitled, character-lacking older men who think they can have anyone (of any age) and anything they want because of their bank account; 2. single divorced women who were just as disenchanted with the lack of men to date of good character; and 3. singled divorced women who were constantly trying to land the next wealthy guy regardless of his behavior. Again, just my opinion and experience (I welcome any Naples experts to suggest some places / activities in Naples that would be a better way of meeting new friends, etc.). Met lots of nice married people but I did not like being surrounded by couples and families without some balance of contemporary singles. I did meet a few contemporaries through a couple meetup groups, which are definitely becoming more numerous in Naples. That might be good for you to consider regardless of where you move to.

Liked the selection of restaurants, healthy food markets, amenities, safety, cleanliness, beaches (before the recent red tide etc). Weather for me was great except during the more humid and insect-infested months (which is why I have not been there recently). Naples has a lot to offer and I may go back, but I will probably consider a few other cities / towns like St. Pete even if just for a short while to get a sense of what is a better suit for me.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:35 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,514,384 times
You need to experience Florida in the summertime to determine if you can hack the heat and high humidity. We usually visited Florida in the winters, but we visited for a week, then later, a month in the middle of the summer to experience the heat and humidity, to determine if we could hack the summers in Florida. The heat and humidity might start wearing you down after months, but our longest summertime visit was a month. Thereís not much hot weather left this year, since it will be cooling down and will be less humid pretty soon.

We found that it wasnít that bad before 10 AM or after 7 PM. Middays, we tried to go to the beach and other places, but after about 20 minutes, we had to get back to the car and crank the AC full blast! But we could run around in the car and do errands during the midday if we didnít stay outside too long. It usually rains in the afternoons in the summertime, sometimes also in the mornings. Sometimes the rain hits your area, sometimes it misses, and you only hear the thunder, which is much louder than the northern states. The lightning is much more intense too. When it rains, it pours. Youíd be totally soaked in less than one minute if you didnít have an umbrella. Everyone slows down on the freeways during the heavy rains, except for a few reckless and insane drivers.

People say you acclimate to the heat and humidity to some extent after several years. However, weíre retired and have the option to be snowbirds and also do traveling to cooler weather areas during the summers. If you can spend some time to personally experience summer weather in Florida, it will help you make a better decision. If we couldnít afford to be snowbirds, I think putting up with the heat and humidity in the summers is worth giving up the snow and cold. You can still do things outside in the early morning and evenings in the summers in Florida. In the snow belt, youíre stuck inside 24 x 7 for 6 months or more, except for short time periods walking between the car and places you drive.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:59 AM

21,074 posts, read 30,098,561 times
Quote:
I have thought of South (Ft Myers / Cape Coral), but it seems that's more for retirees. What you described above sounds like a great fit for me. I will definitely check out St. Pete. Thank you!
The average age in Fort Myers is 39 and the average in St Petersburg is 42 so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss SW Florida. Fort Myers is the fastest growing city in the US right now and attracting a much younger population thanks to corporate expansions, and the growth at Florida Gulf Coast University as well.

America's Fastest Growing City Might Surprise You | Mental Floss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida