Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 02:34 PM

24,324 posts, read 26,708,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I made a comment that Tampa is junky looking, and to illustrate my point I suggested the OP drive the length of Hillsborough Ave that cuts right through the center of town East to West to see what I'm talking about. It had nothing to do with the traffic. Its about old run down homes, grafitti, garbage, burgular bars, ect..

I told the OP Bayshore and Hyde Park are nice, and the Northern 'burb North of Carrollwood.

I understand and while I think Tampa overall isn't as nice as Orlando (why I moved to Orlando), I don't think it's necessary to drive through bad parts of town. If a professional wanted to move to Chicago, there is no reason for him or her to explore all the crap parts of Chicago unless that's the only area they can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 03:13 PM

22 posts, read 22,483 times
Thanks all for all of the info! I'll take it all into consideration

Old 10-19-2018, 11:11 PM

25,176 posts, read 12,331,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I understand and while I think Tampa overall isn't as nice as Orlando (why I moved to Orlando), I don't think it's necessary to drive through bad parts of town. If a professional wanted to move to Chicago, there is no reason for him or her to explore all the crap parts of Chicago unless that's the only area they can afford.
Okay, then drive up and down McDill instead from the North to the South...still junky, less bugular bars, and less graffitti, but still unattractive area.

Except for a few small pockets that cost a fortune, its a junky looking town. That is my point.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:31 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,179,433 times
Smile I second this

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It’s very vague but Tampa, Orlando, South Florida could be options. Usually you’ll know right away if you hate or love the humidity or heat. I personally love it which is why I chose Florida over every state besides Hawaii. Some people hate it though. I grew up in Alaska too. Moved to Florida from California. In Orlando, check out Winter Park, College Park, Baldwin Park, Thornton Park. In South florida, check out Delray Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Coconut Grove. Good luck!
I live in South Florida and I would say those same cities. Delray, Fort Lauderdale, Coconut Grove (but Coconut Grove) is part of Miami.

Note: It's hard for guys too....I have a nice son, age 28, who would love to meet the right person.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:43 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,256,709 times
You might not want to be too close to the beach on the west coastline of Florida. This summer the red tide was pretty bad. It would be horrible to live close to all the smell when the red tide occurs, especially if you’re the type of person that doesn’t need to camp out on the beach every day for hours. Some people are “beach people”, and never get tired of hanging out on the beach every day. If you’re a beach person, a half hour or more drive to get to the beach might become annoying after awhile.

We only occasionally go to the beach when we’re visiting Florida, so we don’t feel the need to live too close to the beach. The housing and insurance is less expensive if you’re not too close to the coastline. The areas near the coastline are also areas that are more susceptible to flooding and are the first areas for evacuations.

I worked in IT, and towards the end of my career, I telecommuted most of the time, until management restrictioned telecommuting to only one day a week. The reduction in telecommuting was political because the upper management people wanted to see the IT workers in the office, even though they didn’t have much of a clue what the IT workers actually did. Before the reduced telecommuting, I was starting to think about telecommuting winters in Florida. You might think about the stability of your working remotely, and think about what you might do if there was a management change, which ended working remotely. Maybe a larger emergency fund would help in case you were forced to move back to Chicago, while being stuck paying the remainder of a one year lease in Florida.

It would be a good idea for you to visit Florida again for at least a week or two while it’s still pretty hot and humid, to help determine if you can hack the heat and humidity. Many people do acclimate to the heat and humidity, but it might take a year or more.

Another thing to check is if you still have to pay the Illinois state income tax if you’re a Florida resident. If you don’t have to pay the Illinois state income tax, and you don’t live too close to the higher cost of living Florida coastline areas, the lower coast of living in Florida could be like a boost in your income.

I feel you’re pain about the cold and snowy winters! We’d rather put up with the heat and humidity than the cold and snow. Although, we are retired now, and are planning to become snowbirds, so we’ll have the best of both locations.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:21 AM

361 posts, read 254,535 times
Quote:
Okay, then drive up and down McDill instead from the North to the South...still junky, less bugular bars, and less graffitti, but still unattractive area.

Except for a few small pockets that cost a fortune, its a junky looking town. That is my point.
Oh for goodness sake - cut it out.

Tampa has many areas worthy of living. And it's relatively inexpensive. And no ice and snow.

The OP is a single adult. Hyde park, Soho are great areas to be a single adult.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:00 AM

244 posts, read 194,783 times
I lived in Naples for 3 years and for the OP, I would not recommend anywhere south of Tampa / St. Pete based on what he / she is looking for. Like a few others, I suggest checking out St. Pete. I think you may find it a bit nicer with enough variety of restaurants, wine bars, activities / meetup groups etc. I hear of more single professionals of various ages really enjoying living in or around St. Pete. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:06 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,742,287 times
Are you retired, financially independent or able to work at home wherever you are? Many folks on the Florida forum who "want to move to Florida", only see the beaches, palm trees, night life, etc.. But, employment ultimately becomes more of a location issue than personal preferences.

Moving to Florida from the Midwest is great -- We did so over 45-years ago and have never regretted it (Tampa, Kissimmee, Satellite Beach, Destin). There are enough diverse areas in Florida for most people to find what they are looking for in a lifestyle.

Central Florida is more of a moderate climate; the beaches get a good gulfstream breeze to keep it cooler, yet, not cold in the winter, which is the case with most of Northern Florida, including the Panhandle. (Air conditioning came to Florida many years ago, therefore, unless you plan to spend your days sitting out in the direct sun, the heat is not as big an issue as some suggest.)

In most desirable areas, tourist traffic and prices are high - but, that's only because people want to come here from elsewhere.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:12 AM

25,176 posts, read 12,331,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
Oh for goodness sake - cut it out.

Tampa has many areas worthy of living. And it's relatively inexpensive. And no ice and snow.

The OP is a single adult. Hyde park, Soho are great areas to be a single adult.
My point is that most of the City of Tampa is junky looking. I'm not saying its a terrible place to live. Many people can look past the junk. I lived there in my 20's, and I liked it. Nice place to visit, but I just wouldn't return there....again.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:23 AM

361 posts, read 254,535 times
Quote:
My point is that most of the City of Tampa is junky looking. I'm not saying its a terrible place to live. Many people can look past the junk. I lived there in my 20's, and I liked it. Nice place to visit, but I just wouldn't return there....again.
And what do you have in common with the OP? I'm guessing nothing.

People ask questions on city-data looking for information. I don't think you shared any information relevant to the OP.

The idea of her wasting some time and decision making driving down Hillsborough Ave is pretty disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida