U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:02 PM

467 posts, read 1,547,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
Dude, it's over 100 degrees in the HEAT INDEX. That is called humidity and that is what you feel. The temp iteself is not the only regulator... iot is what you FEEL that matters.

BTW, last August there was a day that hit over 101 degrees... heat index, almost 110. Wha are you talking about???

Open lanes? 75-80MPH?? WHEN???!?!? You must be a great kidder, I am loving this! LOL "Paradise"... dude, you are cracking me up!! hahahah....

Ps. They are widening I-4 right now and this will be the last project, as they are out of space. They said this expansion will not even curb the traffic problems we currently faced, the outlook for I-4 in the next 5 years or so is over 2 h commutes each way during ruch hours. Since there is no planning for roads, schools, ect (they just build houses and condos in each patch of land) it will get a lot worse over the yearsm I-4 is officially out of room, a mono-rail system would not be ready until 2010... you folks will enjoy lots of fun times in the car... I'll be home relaxing when you are still in traffic.

Ps#2. Check out this artcile put out by the I-4 Trans4mation committee on the I-4 problem. The population trend will be more and more urban sprawl, nothing new, but I-4 will double it's current use by 2015. Hope you folks enjoy!

http://media.conviveon.com/sites/FDO...c%20Counts.pdf
heres a little info...the i-4 corridor is expected to boom between the west side of orlando to tampa . the state has aquired enough land to expand to 10 lanes through this stretch. they atleast are planning that segment. the stretch that runs along down town is bad. the biggest problem with or atleast a major contributer to the problem in this stretch is the laneage is bad for exiting and entering. there is alot of having to cross over lanes, etc. they are currently working on some new ramps to try and eliminate some of this. will it work? who knows but they are trying to fix it.
the state has aquired already enough land along 1-4 heading into the i-drive area that they hoped to use for light rail. don't know if this will occur but they have the land.
the state, even though unpopular by the public, does use and has used eminent domain for widening. the road will never be perfect, it was never designed to accomodate this kind of population. when they designed it they had no idea that they would ever have this population.
all the newer highways i see are well planned and enough right of way has been kept for future expansion, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 07:16 PM

598 posts, read 2,033,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
LOL..i love the coment about 100 degree weather from mid april to mid December, since Florida has never seen temps above 98 degrees, and never in the 90's past October or before May.
I've seen it 100 on my car thermometer in traffic in Tampa this summer. All that pavement makes a huge difference. I couldn't hardly believe it! lmao

Old 01-10-2007, 11:33 PM

155 posts, read 222,031 times
After I read this, now some of my questions as to why traffic is so bad in Orlando are starting to get answered.

The traffic tickets issue here is insane, in CO, the cops have to show you the radar gun when they ticket you. I see cops on the middle of the road in Orlando, without radar, just telling people how fast they THINK you are going (unbelievable)!

The most expensive ticket in CO is $100 for speeding, unless you are in a special zone (school, road work) then it's $200, but still less than $200!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
Check for yourselves. Call 511 from your cell phone (free call, just spend minutes) or visit: www.FL511.com Say the name os the road (for example "I-4, then Orlando" and hear the traffic report.

You will see how it takes 1h - 1 1/2 hours to drive 13 miles from downtown Orlando to Oviedo.... or how it takes 2 hours from downtown Orlando to south Kissimmee. Unless you have 1/2 a Million Dollars to buy a condo downtown, traffic, urban sprawl, and illegal aliens driving without a license and insurance will be your life. You will love the sunshine... while you are sitting in your car, stuck in traffic!

Future Floridians, beaware!! You might spend more time stuck on I-4 traffic than enjoying the beaches/sunshine you are paying a lot down here to enjoy!

This will soon be you on I-4! EVERYDAY!! LOL....

Cheers!
Chris

Ps. For something enjoyable, try getting a speeding ticket for 6 miles over the speed limit. It will cost you $261.... yeah lovely.

Oh we have changeable speed traffic signs, so watch out in the end of the month when they lower the speed limit by 15 miles and put 10 bike cops near the sign to ticket people. You are used to one speed, it changes all of a sudden... you will be pissed. This is called FL's backdoor income tax. Oh and cops here don't use radar much, they just stick their hand out, make you stop and tell you whatever speed comes in their minds! This happens a lot on Conroy Road and Kirkmand Road in Orlando LOL... you will love arguing these tickets in court. The judges almost always rule for the cops, as this is considered "state revenue".

Old 01-11-2007, 07:15 AM

467 posts, read 1,547,750 times
mary lou posted:The traffic tickets issue here is insane, in CO, the cops have to show you the radar gun when they ticket you. I see cops on the middle of the road in Orlando, without radar, just telling people how fast they THINK you are going (unbelievable)!

i have never seen this before. i realize i've been here only 15.5 years and may have missed it.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,856,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
mary lou posted:The traffic tickets issue here is insane, in CO, the cops have to show you the radar gun when they ticket you. I see cops on the middle of the road in Orlando, without radar, just telling people how fast they THINK you are going (unbelievable)!

i have never seen this before. i realize i've been here only 15.5 years and may have missed it.
I have not seen this either. But one thing they do have in Denver is Photo-radar tickets. Cameras are posted at intersections and will snap pix of you, then the speeding ticket is mailed to you. What made people angry was when they were over-charged. But fighting it ends up being too big a hassle.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:55 AM

177 posts, read 629,271 times
Quote:

I was radar certified for a number of years in NY. When I first started, the radar unit was set to lock on the speed registered and sound an alarm. That was changed because of the concern over possible erroneous readings.
We were taught to estimate the speed of an oncoming vehicle and then check it against the radar unit. It is really not that hard to judge speeds, chidren and others do it everyday when they cross a street. We just practiced it a lot more. It really helped reduce the instances of false readings.
We would also discourage any motorist from exiting their vehicle for their own safety and our safety.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:35 AM

155 posts, read 222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I have not seen this either. But one thing they do have in Denver is Photo-radar tickets. Cameras are posted at intersections and will snap pix of you, then the speeding ticket is mailed to you. What made people angry was when they were over-charged. But fighting it ends up being too big a hassle.
I never drive on Conroy road again, because that is what they do. These 3 or 4 motorcycle cops stand in the middle of the road and stick their hands out and tell you your speed. It was shocking, one cop actually pulled someone over who had just taken off one traffic light and give the person a ticket.

In CO, they have the photo machines, but they only work during the day. Everyone sprays their license plate with varnish and when the flash goes out in the traffic cameras, ta-da!! It's a blur.

In Boulder, we have these crazy guys who put on gorilla masks on and cover their front plates with a paper bag and then give the machine the finger!! It is on the local news a lot. We love it. (funny)

Old 08-29-2007, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 10,345 times
Quote:
Quote:

Id like to comment on alot of these issues... First off is I just got a ticket from a bike cop on 408 near I4 that said I was going 10+ over the speed limit but he did not pace nor radar me... I disagreed with him and signed the ticket at the time knowing I would be taking this one to court. I half won the case a month later but had to pay $150 IN COURT FEES (no points ), BAH. So yeah, they can pull you over and give you a ticket if you LOOK LIKE YOUR SPEEDING (like passing someone going way under the speed limit).

I drive from East Orlando to Maitland (408 west to north I4) every weekday so I know first hand how bad the traffic is. I have to be to work at 8am and have to leave over an hour early to make it just before 8. If I leave after 7am the traffic is already gotten so bad that the drive is 9 out of 10 times over an hour drive to go 18 miles on the highway.

Afternoon traffic?!?!?! AHHH I drive around town all hours of the day and most likely from about 3pm-7pm are the worst hours on the road. There is ALWAYS some type of accident/construction that is holding up thousands of vehicles on the roads. Average time to get home is 55 minutes for 18 miles... BS! From Lee Road to 408 its ALWAYS stop and go and takes up to 30 minutes for a few miles because of the 408/I4 merger...

The 408/I4 merger.... anyone want me to go here? lets have all the traffic from these major roads all merge to 2 lanes and pick whether you want to go East or West in about a 100 yard stretch... whatís this equal? Disaster, everyone stops to merge into the other lane instead of going with the flow and merge when you can. But then stubborn drivers donít let people merge causing the break slamming and accidents! its a mess... thatís why THEY ARE BUILDING HUGE RAMPS TO MERGE ON I4 or 408! Iím so happy... but it will most likely be a year or 2 till we see that...

Finally... My temp gauge in the car hits over 100 on a daily bases... I saw 104 today and its been over 110 sitting in traffic on these HOT roads!
WHO SAID OVERHEAT?!?! That just happened... I was over 2 hours late for work... BAH... You go stand on I4 for 30 minutes, make sure you bring SPF 50+, Gallon water, a towel, and a few changes of clothes otherwise you will be miserableÖ bah you would still be miserable even being prepared. Iím sure the heat index is well over 100 every day.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IN RAIN?!?! Get some good tires, rain-X and ballsÖ you can go the speed limit! Not 20+ under the speed limit!

Thatís enough biotchin for nowÖ

Old 09-03-2007, 03:12 AM

2 posts, read 69,287 times
Florida traffic is kids stuff compared to LA or Houston Get real people.
Sorry about being blunt, But facts are facts.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:49 PM

67 posts, read 254,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshwave View Post
Florida traffic is kids stuff compared to LA or Houston Get real people.
Sorry about being blunt, But facts are facts.
I don't think Florida traffic is that bad either. It is much worse in the Northeast (Philly and DC). I saw someone mention NYC, but no one in their right mind owns a car in NYC...that's what the subway is for up there.

Rush hour traffic exists everywhere...it's a way of life. People down here love to complain, but it's not that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or