U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 12:45 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,275,245 times

Advertisements

Homeowner Satisfaction Survey

For the seventh time in 13 years, Americans living in homeowners associations and condominiums have told pollsters they are overwhelmingly satisfied in their communities.

By large majorities, most residents rate their overall community experience as positive or, at worst, neutral.
  • They say their association board members serve the best interests of their communities.
  • They say their community managers provide valuable support to residents and their associations.
  • They support community association rules because they protect and enhance property values.

The findings objectively refute the unfounded and unsubstantiated myth that the community association model of governance is failing to serve the best interests of Americans who choose to live in common-interest communities.

Granted, this is just one opinion, but still .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 12:50 PM

15,460 posts, read 13,452,897 times
There are different levels of HOAs, and you can tell by how much your fees are. If you have a $30/mth fee, then it is a minimal HOA, and its rule book will reflect that. If you have a $500/mth fee, then it is probably an extensive HOA and the rule book will reflect that.

I avoid the extensive HOA as much as possible (not that I move much, lol), those types that feel to micromanage your home. The minimal ones are fine, few rules which usually just covers paint and storage of things "like boats" and that is about it.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:53 PM

15,460 posts, read 13,452,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Homeowner Satisfaction Survey

For the seventh time in 13 years, Americans living in homeowners associations and condominiums have told pollsters they are overwhelmingly satisfied in their communities.

By large majorities, most residents rate their overall community experience as positive or, at worst, neutral.
  • They say their association board members serve the best interests of their communities.
  • They say their community managers provide valuable support to residents and their associations.
  • They support community association rules because they protect and enhance property values.

The findings objectively refute the unfounded and unsubstantiated myth that the community association model of governance is failing to serve the best interests of Americans who choose to live in common-interest communities.

Granted, this is just one opinion, but still .....
Well, because those HOA horror stores are real and do happen, so like everything, creates a negative image in a lot of people's minds. When a person sees an HOA actually spend so much on legal fees it goes into bankruptcy over something trivial like a homeowner hanging a US flag, that person may be weary of ever buying in an HOA, though many never have an issue at all like that.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:00 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,275,245 times
I'd recommend that you JOIN the HOA as an officer (if you can't beat 'em, that is!) I found after I served on our HOA Board of Directors, I learned that we, as homeowners in the community ourselves, truly had a vested interest in keeping equitable standards for all. It was a humbling experience.

YMMV.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:28 PM

2,331 posts, read 851,294 times
I've lived in all of the above, non-hoa, low key HOA w/o any amenties, and a resort ike HOA with all the bells and whistles.
I've been a President of the Board, in Georiga, but not Florida. Learned a lot doing that, but probablynever be President again.

I highly recommend obtaining the minutes to the meeting for the last 3 meetings if they are annual. This should provide valuable insight to how detailed they are and how far they ware willing to go to enforce the docs to the letter of the law.

If they cant go back 3 years, get as many as they have. They should be brief and easily read. If they hired any lawyers, it will be in those minutes.

You can also ask to see their financials, and look under legal fees/costs and see if there's figures in the thousands of dollars. If <$2,000 could be a HOA Doc re-write/unpdate, but > $2,000 Id ask if it was a lawsuit, and if so what was the nature of the lawsuit. If just trying to collect dues or enforce a no brainer rule like not boats or campers in front yard, no problem, but if for something frivolous...run away.

If you do this research on the front end, you'll have morepeace of mind later.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:03 PM

1,071 posts, read 579,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Some HOAs are good and some are bad. I have a house in an HOA that gets in everyones business about everything. Another house I have in an HOA is very lovely. They keep things looking good, but arent in your business. They only care about the public sides of your home.
There's definitely a sweet spot. For example I wouldn't want people to have chain link fences, cars up on blocks, or RV's/boats/trailers/etc. laying around, nor would I want children's toys and kiddie pools left in the yard with grass growing around them, trash, etc., etc.

But I also don't want someone telling me I can't paint my front door or put up shutters to suit my tastes in color or that I need to stain my deck Mohave Brown while Sierra Brown is unacceptable!

Old 10-30-2018, 03:17 PM

1,790 posts, read 749,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
There's definitely a sweet spot. For example I wouldn't want people to have chain link fences, cars up on blocks, or RV's/boats/trailers/etc. laying around, nor would I want children's toys and kiddie pools left in the yard with grass growing around them, trash, etc., etc.

But I also don't want someone telling me I can't paint my front door or put up shutters to suit my tastes in color or that I need to stain my deck Mohave Brown while Sierra Brown is unacceptable!
But before you go in you KNOW whats at stake, so why Join ??????? Why buy where you do not like the Rules ???

We have 6 or 7 colors of house paints we can use...there is a choice for everyone, unless you want to paint your house Purply Grape, and then you do not belong where I/We live.

Folks, is that frikken SIMPLE.

Last edited by Hammocks Bum; 10-30-2018 at 03:37 PM..

Old 10-30-2018, 04:19 PM

2,331 posts, read 851,294 times
I commend the OP for doing her homework, and reading the HOA docs, and posting here. Keep at it! I think you are the type person that will do the right thing. Many never ask to even see the docs, let alone read them.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:46 PM

14,696 posts, read 3,907,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I commend the OP for doing her homework, and reading the HOA docs, and posting here. Keep at it! I think you are the type person that will do the right thing. Many never ask to even see the docs, let alone read them.
Right you are.
In our small amount of experience, none - I mean none - of the buyers read the docs. The only time they every come into play is when someone sells a unit and they have to provide a copy to the next party who also won't read them.

But a lot of the basics are the same. Residents must pay for the lifestyle they desire. From what I see and am told, many HOA boards (and residents approve) try to keep rates as low as possible, often unrealistically low. The big secret is that they do this so they can pass on the really high costs to someone else someday! For example, if I buy a brand new Condo or House in an HOA where the HOA is responsible for a lot of big things (roofs, for example, even siding on some single or duplex units) - it will often "pay" to sell a condo at 12-15 years in since the real costs are likely to start happening at 20 years+.

I don't fully agree with this but I got outvoted so far. Every year I'm the guy who says "raise the fees". I actually got many of the owners to agree, but the President doesn't and because he runs the whole place (for free!) we all generally kowtow to his wishes on these things. We use special assessments and since everyone is forewarned about them, it is not a surprise or hidden.

Right now I am 12-13 years in so I am starting to think......it will be a heck of a bill when the time comes for roof, siding and windows. We have a while yet tho.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:03 AM

1,790 posts, read 749,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Right you are.
In our small amount of experience, none - I mean none - of the buyers read the docs.
So wrong you are ... 2 Assocs under me belt, 2wice I read Docs before placing my John Doe ... (I actually read some others and I did not buy there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida