U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 10:57 AM

6 posts, read 2,574 times

Advertisements

Thank you sooo much I am going to search all of these options!!! Especially Brandenton... thank you!
[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
For each person/family, the relocation process differs. Based upon the info you provided, here's my suggestions:

step 1 visit any area you are considering for as long as possible, even if you can only pull off a 1 week vacation there. Make it a vacation w/ a purpose. Make a list of ?'s concerns, likes/dislikes, and consider it a research vacation. Grade things that are important to you A-F. List most important items at the top and lowest at the bottom.

step 2 if after visiting for as long as you can, if you like it, then find a job at the new location first. Do NOT move 1st, and find job 2nd unless you have at least 6 months of savings you can live on to get by during the job search. If you do have 6 months saved up that can sustain you, and you are a natural risk taker, move, then take any job you can land right away so you don't burn through your cash as fast. Conduct your P&R job search when not working at the temp gig. If you go this route, dont sign ANY leases. Do airbnb, or low end VRBO place by the month.

step 3 after landing the permanent P&R job (ask for an offer letter in writing after explaining you are moving from another part of the state). Then start looking for a place to live near your job.

I'd focus my search in high growth areas where new parks are being built since openings will exist.

Outside Bradenton is a master planned community called Lakewood Ranch. High growth area, lots of families, lots of parks. It's in Manatee County. Downtown Bradenton is somewhat lively after dark. Lakewood Ranch to downtown Bradenton can be 40 minutes during bad rush hours, so I'd look for housing near the midpoint but closer to Lakewood Ranch. Maybe just West of I-75. This way 15-20 minutes to work, 10-15 minutes to go out at night.

Another fast growing area is Northport. Its a snoozefest at night though, but not for long. Northport is booming with young families moving in because housing is very affordable. You could go to downtown Englewood for nightlife until Northport develops its own. Again, locate housing midpoint between your job in North Port and the small amount of nightlife in Englewood.

Punta Gorda is building a massive pickleball facility that will have 64 courts, and will draw players from nearby States to its tourneys and pro events. I'll bet they are hiring people for that right now. The 1st 16 courts are under construction I believe. Punta Gorda has a nice little downtown area and affordable housing.

I'd also look at the area between Southside of Jax and St. Augustine. Its growing, younger families, and affordable.

The growth areas in Sarasota County are South and East. You'd be 30-35 minutes to nightlife in downtown sarasota. Not as many young families and new parks as you'll find in Lakewood Ranch. I know Sarasota County is absorbing some of the City of Sarasota's parks right now, so could that be an opportunity?

If there are any parks and recreation industry trade shows in any of the areas I mentioned, or Orlando, that you can attend and get into w/o a invite, by all means go to network. Thar way you can check out the town/area while you are job searching. Multi-task. Bring resume's, and business cards. Attend the break out sessions that are in your field since smaller groups are easier to meet people in.

I'd also check out Estero. That fits the fast growth, families, parks mold too. Just South of Fort Myers but North of Bonita Springs.

I dont know Orlando so well, but look for where most of the new housing is being built. That is where new parks will be built too.

Best of luck to you, and I hope some of this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 01:01 PM

112 posts, read 60,449 times
Well, it depends what you are looking for, I would say.

Do you want to live a quiet life or do you like to go out and do you like nightlife and entertainment?

Quiet life: Stay away from the big cities. I think you would find a quiet life everywhere in FL besides the big cities.

We lived in Jacksonville for over 10 years but finally moved to Orlando this year! It is like night and day for me! This is my personal experience and opinion: There was nothing to do for us in Jax. We led a very quiet life, were always at home because we were always frustrated when we went out from time to time due to lack of quality of the events we went to. We are into dancing and Latin music. Besides that, Jax has a lot of crime (has been the murder capital of FL for years) and racism (lots of African Americans walking around with a chip on their shoulder = my personal experience as a white woman).

I find the people in Orlando much friendlier and much happier. This might be due to the Latino vibe here, which I love! Also, there are tons of things to do here for us! I love it here!

I work from home and do not have to deal with the traffic. For me, this is the best place in Florida!

Old 11-08-2018, 01:05 PM

17,879 posts, read 17,730,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanoricua View Post

We lived in Jacksonville for over 10 years but finally moved to Orlando this year! It is like night and day for me! This is my personal experience and opinion: There was nothing to do for us in Jax. We led a very quiet life, were always at home because we were always frustrated when we went out from time to time due to lack of quality of the events we went to. We are into dancing and Latin music. Besides that, Jax has a lot of crime (has been the murder capital of FL for years) and racism (lots of African Americans walking around with a chip on their shoulder = my personal experience as a white woman).

I find the people in Orlando much friendlier and much happier. This might be due to the Latino vibe here, which I love! Also, there are tons of things to do here for us! I love it here!

I work from home and do not have to deal with the traffic. For me, this is the best place in Florida!

I'm glad you like it!

It's our favorite city in Florida too, especially for living. So much of the city is landscaped nicely. Trees everywhere. It's really clean. Tons of things to do thanks to the tourism industry. Had family in town recently and drove around Tampa and down to Miami. Their impression is Orlando is the nicest city in Florida.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:42 PM

2,329 posts, read 843,755 times
No beach.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:51 PM

17,879 posts, read 17,730,551 times
Quote:
No beach.
The time it takes from Orlando to the beach is similar to Tampa to the beach. Many people donít realize this, especially if you live in the Tampa suburbs.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The time it takes from Orlando to the beach is similar to Tampa to the beach. Many people donít realize this, especially if you live in the Tampa suburbs.
Depends upon where in Tampa you live and where in Orlando.

I lived on Harbor Island in Tampa, and I could get to Clearwater Beach in ~45 minutes.

I was in Kissimmee for a youth sporting event, and we drove across to the beach in ~1hr 15 mins if I recall.

My wife said when she lived in Orlando, Winter Park was nice. I've never been there. My trips to Orlando was to Disney twice, Kissimmee once, and Four times on business (transportation industry) to areas that were not very nice. I HATED all the toll roads so much, I ruled Orlando out as a place I'd ever want to live.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:29 AM

21,116 posts, read 30,203,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The time it takes from Orlando to the beach is similar to Tampa to the beach.
But there is always St Petersburg which has it's own beach access, and as a city is arguably the better option in the Tampa Bay region in terms of amenities.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:39 AM

112 posts, read 60,449 times
Quote:
No beach.
Of course I was closer to the beach in Jax but since we decided to live as far from the coast as possible because of the hurricanes in FL, it took me 45 minutes to get to the beach (partly via interstate and partly through city traffic and traffic lights) although I lived in the Jax city limits. It was about 30 miles.

Now I live near Lake Nona and it takes a good hour to get to Melbourne or Cocoa Beach from here. Yes, I drive more miles, but it does not take that much longer to get to the beach. In return, I live in a much more exciting city where I can go dancing at night or to all kinds of festivals during the day on weekends.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
But there is always St Petersburg which has it's own beach access, and as a city is arguably the better option in the Tampa Bay region in terms of amenities.
I LOVED pass-a-grille beach so I returned there after 25 years,and now they have parking meters everwhere.

I HATE paid parking, so I wont be going there any more. Downtown SRQ is doing the same along certain streets, so I'll only go there until I can not longer park for free, then I'll write downtown off.

I se it as double taxation. We already paid once for those parking spaces, and to pay over and over again is a huge government money grab. I have no problem them charging for non-residents, but for people who live here year around....nadda. All those restaurants and businesses will lose our patronage as more parking meters are installed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or