Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 04:10 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
No need to post it again -- but please point out to me where the article specifically says that "There are plenty of Cubans on Medicaid and Medicare who still travel to Cuba and/or repatriate to Cuba for yes, medical care." I read it twice, and it does not support your statement. I guess we have different standards for accuracy.

In any case, any Cuban, or other immigrant from anywhere, who comes to the US strictly for the benefits and is not interested in becoming a citizen and sharing in American life and culture probably should go back, ASAP.
"Some, like Rene, want to spend their last years with family in their home country. Others need medical care, and still others want to buy or inherit a home, retire in a place where the cost of living is cheap or even engage in political activism."

This is not rocket science. If you have medicare or medicaid, you still have to pay taxes, deductibles, coinsurance, prohibitive drug costs and many other costs. In Cuba you do not.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...american-dream
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 04:38 PM

25,725 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Dude, you are insane, if you participate in political activism in Cuba UR dead!

Old 11-08-2018, 05:06 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,179,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
"Some, like Rene, want to spend their last years with family in their home country. Others need medical care, and still others want to buy or inherit a home, retire in a place where the cost of living is cheap or even engage in political activism."

This is not rocket science. If you have medicare or medicaid, you still have to pay taxes, deductibles, coinsurance, prohibitive drug costs and many other costs. In Cuba you do not.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...american-dream

Again, I'm not arguing with the idea that some elderly Cubans may have done this, but "some" is not the same as "plenty." "Some" is not enough to conclude that a significant portion of the elderly Cuban American population is heading back to Cuba for healthcare.

Also, I don't necessarily believe everything I read in the press -- whether left or right -- and the Miami Herald is no exception, particularly when the claims are couched in vague terms.

If you move back to Cuba for healthcare, you may not live forever, but it will probably feel like it.

Last edited by CapnTrips; 11-08-2018 at 05:19 PM..

Old 11-08-2018, 07:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
boxus said "I’m sure they are trying to figure out how they can get those suburban districts back."

Trump already figured that one out by creating JOBS and rising wages. In just 2 years...African-American & Hispanic employment highest in history, and these Americans are beginning to support him. Women...same.
I am sure it is an error, but I did not state the quote above.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:14 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
I was only speaking for the few I know. Friends of mine I met in a high end cigar lounge in Atlanta and one was a business associate in Tampa. I met one of their parents, and they told me things I wished I had never heard. Just sharing my personal experiences. Trust me...none of them would ever return to Cuba.

I am Cuban-American myself and don't know a single Cuban-American who would return to Cuba. And I know many conservative Cubans who are pro-universal healthcare and they're not going anywhere. I myself wish we had universal healthcare... but why would I go to Cuba??? If anything I'd go to CANADA!!!

Old 11-09-2018, 04:23 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
The older generation generally remains conservative, while the millennials tend to the left, like their Anglo peers.
that's accurate. Republicans have a demographic problem.. younger voters are far more liberal and diverse and this seems to extend to multiple groups,

Even the younger self identified republicans seem to be more liberal on a variety of issues

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...change/560312/

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/24/61965...-the-trump-era

Old 11-09-2018, 05:13 AM

25,725 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Since the beginning of time, younger people have been predominently liberal.

Then, they get a job, & see all the various tax $'s coming out of their paychecks, so they begin to move right.

Then, as they get promoted & make even more $$, and even more $$ is taken out for taxes, they learn about our progressive tax system. They see it as unfair....so they move further right.

Then, they buy a home and see a bunch of taxes & fees on their closing statement, and then the property tax bill comes a few months later...and they move further right again.

Now, they start noticing all kinds of taxes/fees on their utility bills, cell phone', cars', boats', and they move right again.

They start to look even closer noticing; sales tax, alcohol tax, tobacco tax, drivers license tax, car tag tax, cable tv tax.

By age 30, they realize they are being hosed by the government & are working 1/2 the year just to pay all these taxes & fees. They feel as though they are becoming enslaved...and start voting Republican party line, and tuning in to Fox.

Then, they start noticing government waste & abuse, & start seeing freeloaders collecting free stuff. They become enraged right wing tea party delporables. They start to see all of government as parasites.

Some lose their way along this path, and remain Liberals for various reasons I won't go into here.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:15 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Since the beginning of time, younger people have been predominently liberal.

Then, they get a job, & see all the various tax $'s coming out of their paychecks, so they begin to move right.

Then, as they get promoted & make even more $$, and even more $$ is taken out for taxes, they learn about our progressive tax system. They see it as unfair....so they move further right.

Then, they buy a home and see a bunch of taxes & fees on their closing statement, and then the property tax bill comes a few months later...and they move further right again.

Now, they start noticing all kinds of taxes/fees on their utility bills, cell phone', cars', boats', and they move right again.

They start to look even closer noticing; sales tax, alcohol tax, tobacco tax, drivers license tax, car tag tax, cable tv tax.

By age 30, they realize they are being hosed by the government & are working 1/2 the year just to pay all these taxes & fees. They feel as though they are becoming enslaved...and start voting Republican party line, and tuning in to Fox.

Then, they start noticing government waste & abuse, & start seeing freeloaders collecting free stuff. They become enraged right wing tea party delporables. They start to see all of government as parasites.

Some lose their way along this path, and remain Liberals for various reasons I won't go into here.
I was a moderate Republican gen x until trump came into office. Many liberals won't turn conservative as long as the gop remains a white nationalist party under trump

Old 11-09-2018, 06:00 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times
Quote:
Again, I'm not arguing with the idea that some elderly Cubans may have done this, but "some" is not the same as "plenty." "Some" is not enough to conclude that a significant portion of the elderly Cuban American population is heading back to Cuba for healthcare.

Also, I don't necessarily believe everything I read in the press -- whether left or right -- and the Miami Herald is no exception, particularly when the claims are couched in vague terms.

If you move back to Cuba for healthcare, you may not live forever, but it will probably feel like it.

Nobody is saying that a "significant portion of the elderly Cuban American population is heading back to Cuba for healthcare." I never said that. I said "plenty". And health care is just one factor. They are really going back for financial reasons (of which health care is one part).

The reason I said "plenty" is because it has been documented by the media such as the Herald, the Guardian, Fox News in Miami, and many others. I also said "plenty" b/c I live part of the year in Tampa, where there is a huge Cuban population and many of my employees are Cuban American and many of them have told me they share these feelings of thinking they cannot afford to retire in this country and that they are currently sending money to Cuba so they can buy an apartment they can retire in. They tell me, not all of them, but maybe a third of them, that moving back to Cuba is their plan, because with their social security checks they can "live like kings" in Cuba during retirement. This thinking runs the gamut, male/female, all ages. This is not my opinion, I am simply reporting what they have told me.

So this is not a foreign concept to me, or to anyone who knows Cubans. I myself would never retire in Cuba, nor am I making a statement about politics or health care systems. What I AM saying is that Cuban Americans have differing political views and that yes, "plenty" of them are moving back to Cuba, young and old. Not a majority of them, but plenty of them and the number of them moving back is increasing every year. It's a trend to watch.

Last edited by sinatras; 11-09-2018 at 07:27 AM..

Old 11-09-2018, 07:46 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Nobody is saying that a "significant portion of the elderly Cuban American population is heading back to Cuba for healthcare." I never said that. I said "plenty". And health care is just one factor. They are really going back for financial reasons (of which health care is one part).

The reason I said "plenty" is because it has been documented by the media such as the Herald, the Guardian, Fox News in Miami, and many others. I also said "plenty" b/c I live part of the year in Tampa, where there is a huge Cuban population and many of my employees are Cuban American and many of them have told me they share these feelings of thinking they cannot afford to retire in this country and that they are currently sending money to Cuba so they can buy an apartment they can retire in. They tell me, not all of them, but maybe a third of them, that moving back to Cuba is their plan, because with their social security checks they can "live like kings" in Cuba during retirement. This thinking runs the gamut, male/female, all ages. This is not my opinion, I am simply reporting what they have told me.

So this is not a foreign concept to me, or to anyone who knows Cubans. I myself would never retire in Cuba, nor am I making a statement about politics or health care systems. What I AM saying is that Cuban Americans have differing political views and that yes, "plenty" of them are moving back to Cuba, young and old. Not a majority of them, but plenty of them and the number of them moving back is increasing every year. It's a trend to watch.
But will the Cuban government let them “live like kings”?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: