U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 02:58 AM

7,906 posts, read 4,883,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Deniers seem oblivious to the fact that alternative energy often is cheaper than fossil fuels, even with no tax incentives, and is becoming cheaper. See page 5 of this report.
Here's a link omitted in post 126.

https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/aeo/pdf...generation.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 03:05 AM

7,906 posts, read 4,883,854 times
Quote:
Trump, Rubio and Scott, leading man-made climate change science deniers, are the lesser evils??? These deniers, supported by their legion of deniers, actually are promoting significantly increased fossil fuel consumption even as the empirical evidence and the warnings of leading climate change scientists indicate that as a result earth and especially Florida face increasing existential threats.

Annually, over 35 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions accumulate in the earth's atmosphere, raising atmospheric carbon dioxide levels to heights not seen during mankind's hundreds of thousands of years existence on earth. Deniers work feverishly spreading "Big Lie" denier propaganda, trying desperately to obfuscate the reality that atmospheric carbon dioxide levels have increased from 324 parts per million at the beginning of 1970 to almost 409 ppm currently. This is an increase of over 26 percent in less than 50 years, not even the beginning of a blink in geological terms.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=33772

https://www.co2.earth/

https://www.co2.earth/co2-past-present-future-article

https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...carbon-dioxide

Note in the immediately above link that never before during the evolution of modern man has carbon dioxide levels exceeded 300 ppm before the 20th century.

Deniers belittle the scientific warnings based on studies of the significance of increasing carbon dioxide levels. Warming oceans are ignored by deniers, who can't deal with the implications such as rapid intensification of hurricanes or more prevalent and severe toxic algal blooms, including red tide. Sea level rise, according to deniers, is no more a concern today than 50 years ago, despite empirical data showing accelerating ice melt and Arctic region thawing, which may trigger a vicious methane cycle that would supercharge global warming.

Of course, "ocean acidification," the empirically documented "equally evil twin" of man-made climate change are words not spoken by deniers, even though OA threatens the marine food chain and even the production of most of the world's oxygen.

https://ocean.si.edu/ocean-life/inve...-acidification

Whether red tide or ocean inundation, deniers refuse to acknowledge the threats to Florida's environment. Trump, Rubio, and Scott not only deny the existence of man-made climate change, they actively suppress scientific research and information that would spread an understanding of man-made climate change science among Floridians.

E.g., the Great Florida Reef, one of Florida's most important natural assets, is dying, and man-made climate change science deniers don't care.

Sea levels increase annually, and recent ice melt activity suggests that sea level rise will accelerate greatly in coming decades. No concern to deniers, who actively argue that nothing can be done, despite the obvious solution is to transition away from fossil fuel consumption. A policy shift to reduce Florida's fossil fuel consumption should benefit Florida's economy significantly given its abundance of solar and wind generation potential and the absence of fossil fuel production, and especially given the reality the alternative is the continued environmental degradation of Florida, and the ongoing inundation of the state.

Trump, Rubio and Scott are the lesser evils? Only in the minds of greeders more obsessed with not paying taxes and with only a paltry concern, if that, about the destruction of the environment.

With Democrats now in control of the U.S. House of Representatives, the deniers no longer will be able to suppress climate change science. A possible resulting enlightenment of the Florida electorate may have a profound impact on the Florida politics during the next two years and during the 2020 election cycle.

https://www.livescience.com/64035-ho...t-control.html

See post 549 in this thread.

Florida is turning into an environmental catastrophe
First graph that I've seen of ACCUMULATED CARBON DIOXIDE EMISSIONS into the earth's atmosphere.

https://skepticalscience.com/empiric...termediate.htm

Hopefully, the new Democratic majority in the U.S. House of Representatives can focus its climate change investigations on this linchpin factoid, which likely is not well known among Americans.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:59 AM

2,375 posts, read 882,652 times
Quote:
Right, says the guy who worries very little about the destruction of the Great Florida Reef, the ongoing inundation of Florida, ocean acidification, or the rapid intensification of hurricanes.
Not a worry in the World here. Just a darned Acorn...or Pinecone. It's another beautiful morning in Florida. The only environmental worry I have right now is the Armadillo digging up my yard. His days are numbered.

I'm more worried about illegal immigration. The Gov't taking my hard earned tax dollars and giving them to illigal aliens. That worries me. 56% of Florida's illegals are on some type of welfare program according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:24 AM

104 posts, read 34,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Not a worry in the World here. Just a darned Acorn...or Pinecone. It's another beautiful morning in Florida. The only environmental worry I have right now is the Armadillo digging up my yard. His days are numbered.

I'm more worried about illegal immigration. The Gov't taking my hard earned tax dollars and giving them to illigal aliens. That worries me. 56% of Florida's illegals are on some type of welfare program according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
Stop with the racist fear mongering lies,Undocumented inmigrants don't qualify for welfare benefits, but they pay billions in taxes every year:

Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA) | Florida Department of Children and Families

Citizenship - Individuals must be U.S. citizens or qualified non-citizens.
Residency - Individuals must live in the state of Florida.
SSN - Individuals must provide a Social Security Number or proof they have applied for one.

Undocumented inmigrants pay billions in taxes:

http://www.immigrationimpact.com/201...nts-pay-taxes/

Old 12-04-2018, 12:27 PM

5,933 posts, read 2,755,161 times
Quote:
Big Sugar bought and paid for Bill Nelson and MArco Rubio too, so its not party specific, its anyone in politics that can facilitate the goals they have for their business.
It may not be party specific but it sure is money specific !

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...psu7bxxxsc.jpg

Nelson got chump change compared to these two.
So now our state is bestowed with two Republican Senators who are climate deniers and are in the pockets of Big Sugar instead of one.
Well done Florida !

Old 12-04-2018, 01:00 PM

Dems will not reform campaign financing laws. If they wanted to do it, they could have early in the last Administration's tenure.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:15 PM

5,933 posts, read 2,755,161 times
Quote:
Dems will not reform campaign financing laws. If they wanted to do it, they could have early in the last Administration's tenure.
Yes because the first two years of the Obama administration they apparently didn't have any other pressing concerns besides reforming campaign financing laws.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:19 PM

17,934 posts, read 17,861,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
It may not be party specific but it sure is money specific !

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...psu7bxxxsc.jpg

Nelson got chump change compared to these two.
So now our state is bestowed with two Republican Senators who are climate deniers and are in the pockets of Big Sugar instead of one.
Well done Florida !

What is the source of this chart?

On opensecrets.org the difference isn't this wide at least from US Sugar, which is the largest in Florida and the country.

Cumulative of all elections from 1990 to 2018 is:

Democrats: $1,482,399
Republicans: $1,861,127

Old 12-04-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoLiberal View Post
Stop with the racist fear mongering lies,Undocumented inmigrants don't qualify for welfare benefits, but they pay billions in taxes every year:

Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA) | Florida Department of Children and Families

Citizenship - Individuals must be U.S. citizens or qualified non-citizens.
Residency - Individuals must live in the state of Florida.
SSN - Individuals must provide a Social Security Number or proof they have applied for one.

Undocumented inmigrants pay billions in taxes:

Yes, All Immigrants
The source of the data is the United States Census Bureau, and they used the word "welfare".

So...you better tell your federal government THEY are racists fear mongerers, & totally wrong.

Yes, illegal immigrants pay PAYROLL taxes..Social Security, Unemployment, Medicaid, but NO Federal income taxes, or if they live in a state w/ state income tax, they don't pay it.

I do not care where the ILLEGALS come from[/b], I don't want to pay for their welfare. I don't care if they come from Norway, Sweden, Finland, or Denmark, or the Ivory Coast.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:29 PM

5,556 posts, read 5,075,154 times
Quote:
The source of the data is the United States Census Bureau, and they used the word "welfare".

So...you better tell your federal government THEY are racists fear mongerers, & totally wrong.

Yes, illegal immigrants pay PAYROLL taxes..Social Security, Unemployment, Medicaid, but NO Federal income taxes, or if they live in a state w/ state income tax, they don't pay it.

I do not care where the ILLEGALS come from[/b], I don't want to pay for their welfare. I don't care if they come from Norway, Sweden, Finland, or Denmark, or the Ivory Coast.
Sigh. What do you think payroll taxes are? I love ya, beach, but I mean, really, they're INCOME taxes.

Nonetheless, usually they pay those when using a phony SS#, because they can't avoid it. It's not that common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or