U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2018, 01:04 PM
 
10,575 posts, read 10,857,914 times
Reputation: 5225

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
.

I think you are watching too much CNN.
More fact filled than faux news or Breitbart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2018, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,535 posts, read 9,420,509 times
Reputation: 6702
Will there be gridlock in the Florida Legislature the next few years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2018, 10:40 AM
 
Location: western East Roman Empire
6,624 posts, read 10,682,140 times
Reputation: 5774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Will there be gridlock in the Florida Legislature the next few years?
On the face of it, no.

So-called republicans maintain a majority in State House and State Senate, governor and majority of cabinet (not to mention two US senators for the first time since the 1800s).

Not that they do much anyway, and they indulge in infighting on top of that.

If it were flipped and so-called democrats had these majorities, it would be the other way around, of course: not do much anyway and infighting on top of that.

Sounds human to me.

In any case, for sure nothing will change in Florida politics over the next two years.

After that, who knows?

Possibly the most durable outcome of this election is approval of a Constitutional amendment that requires a super-majority (2/3 I believe) to raise State-level taxes and fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2018, 02:40 PM
 
5,556 posts, read 5,073,379 times
Reputation: 3945
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
On the face of it, no.

So-called republicans maintain a majority in State House and State Senate, governor and majority of cabinet (not to mention two US senators for the first time since the 1800s).

Not that they do much anyway, and they indulge in infighting on top of that.

If it were flipped and so-called democrats had these majorities, it would be the other way around, of course: not do much anyway and infighting on top of that.

Sounds human to me.

In any case, for sure nothing will change in Florida politics over the next two years.

After that, who knows?

Possibly the most durable outcome of this election is approval of a Constitutional amendment that requires a super-majority (2/3 I believe) to raise State-level taxes and fees.
Sounds like some folks were farsighted enough to see the need to commie-proof the state financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2018, 02:52 PM
 
7,906 posts, read 4,881,451 times
Reputation: 4101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Sounds like some folks were farsighted enough to see the need to commie-proof the state financially.
More likely, the Constitutional amendment will plunge the state into a service-deprived hellhole, especially unless some means can be found to finance a clean-up of nutrient pollution, including the septic tank problem. I wonder if the state legislature even has the ability to put tax initiatives to a public vote without a two-thirds majority.

As the Constitutional amendment applies to fees as well as taxes, unless super-majorities can be found, inaction seems to be locked into Florida's future. Heaven forbid if the Florida/national economy falters, as the stock market seems to be foreshadowing, at least now, and the state needs temporary revenues to offset reductions in tax revenues as a result of a weakening economy.

When the bills for inundation begin to mount ($500 million already just in Miami Beach), the state may fall into a liquidation mode, in which stake-holders head for the exits, and any increases in taxes may just hasten a vicious cycle.

Will Floridians continue to rebuild after hurricane destruction, as knowledge of the impact of the sea level rise rate doubling every 7-8 years becomes well known?

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...elizabeth-rush
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2018, 03:19 PM
 
Location: US
17,930 posts, read 17,851,499 times
Reputation: 13933
Environmentalists need to stop exaggerating. Honestly, it does more harm than good. The problem with making big scares like Miami will be underwater by 2050 is that when 2050 comes and Miami isn't underwater, then it discredits the argument of man-made climate change. Wasn't there scientists in the 1980s or 1990s saying that climate change will lead to 7 degree warmer temperature by 2025 and sea levels would rise several feet? Last time I checked temperatures have increased maybe half of one percent and sea levels have rose a few inches.



Pushing green technology/energy, recycling etc are all good things, but using scare tactics does more damage than good in my opinion. Miami will still be here in 30 years. That doesn't mean we shouldn't take care of the environment more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2018, 03:44 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,523 posts, read 17,750,904 times
Reputation: 30827
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Also with the passage of Amendment 4, more former criminals will be voting. You know how they will vote
Depends on what they were in for and which prison gang they "align" with.

Of all the prison gangs, at the very least the Republicans will get the Aryan Brotherhood and Marielitos vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2018, 07:36 PM
 
10,575 posts, read 10,857,914 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Environmentalists need to stop exaggerating. Honestly, it does more harm than good. The problem with making big scares like Miami will be underwater by 2050 is that when 2050 comes and Miami isn't underwater, then it discredits the argument of man-made climate change. Wasn't there scientists in the 1980s or 1990s saying that climate change will lead to 7 degree warmer temperature by 2025 and sea levels would rise several feet? Last time I checked temperatures have increased maybe half of one percent and sea levels have rose a few inches.



Pushing green technology/energy, recycling etc are all good things, but using scare tactics does more damage than good in my opinion. Miami will still be here in 30 years. That doesn't mean we shouldn't take care of the environment more.
South Beach floods during king tides
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2018, 04:45 AM
 
7,906 posts, read 4,881,451 times
Reputation: 4101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Environmentalists need to stop exaggerating. Honestly, it does more harm than good. The problem with making big scares like Miami will be underwater by 2050 is that when 2050 comes and Miami isn't underwater, then it discredits the argument of man-made climate change. Wasn't there scientists in the 1980s or 1990s saying that climate change will lead to 7 degree warmer temperature by 2025 and sea levels would rise several feet? Last time I checked temperatures have increased maybe half of one percent and sea levels have rose a few inches.



Pushing green technology/energy, recycling etc are all good things, but using scare tactics does more damage than good in my opinion. Miami will still be here in 30 years. That doesn't mean we shouldn't take care of the environment more.
Your argument is with scientists, who rely on empirical evidence to make their projections.

E.g., Harold Wanless is an expert on sea level rise and chairman of the geological sciences department at the Univ. of Miami. He emphasizes that the RATE of sea level rise is doubling every 7-8 years, with dire consequences for Florida.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...elizabeth-rush

What is your expertise? Do you dispute that the rate of sea level rise is doubling every 7-8 years, and the rate of sea level rise will be even greater in southern Florida, as Wanless claims?

While sea level rise is 1/8 inch per year currently, if the doubling rate continues (it could accelerate with more intense global warming), the annual rate of acceleration will reach 1 1/2 inches per year within 25 years. See post 11 in this thread.

Key numbers for Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice region -- 3, 6, 10, 16

Wanless says south Floridians should prepare for a minimum of 2.7 to 3.4 feet of sea level rise by 2046.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion...620-story.html

Is Miami Beach imagining the impacts of nascent inundation?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...217984100.html

Is saltwater intrusion an imaginary problem in south Florida?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...190900529.html

https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/...212844644.html

Man-made climate change science deniers need to listen to persons who study empirical data and know much more than deniers. It also would help if deniers would just open their eyes and acknowledge the reality of sea level rise in low-lying communities such as Miami Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2018, 07:05 AM
 
17,574 posts, read 10,641,127 times
Reputation: 8487
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Your argument is with scientists, who rely on empirical evidence to make their projections.

E.g., Harold Wanless is an expert on sea level rise and chairman of the geological sciences department at the Univ. of Miami. He emphasizes that the RATE of sea level rise is doubling every 7-8 years, with dire consequences for Florida.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...elizabeth-rush

What is your expertise? Do you dispute that the rate of sea level rise is doubling every 7-8 years, and the rate of sea level rise will be even greater in southern Florida, as Wanless claims?

While sea level rise is 1/8 inch per year currently, if the doubling rate continues (it could accelerate with more intense global warming), the annual rate of acceleration will reach 1 1/2 inches per year within 25 years. See post 11 in this thread.

Key numbers for Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice region -- 3, 6, 10, 16

Wanless says south Floridians should prepare for a minimum of 2.7 to 3.4 feet of sea level rise by 2046.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion...620-story.html

Is Miami Beach imagining the impacts of nascent inundation?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...217984100.html

Is saltwater intrusion an imaginary problem in south Florida?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...190900529.html

https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/...212844644.html

Man-made climate change science deniers need to listen to persons who study empirical data and know much more than deniers. It also would help if deniers would just open their eyes and acknowledge the reality of sea level rise in low-lying communities such as Miami Beach.
Yep Miami could be like Venice Italy which has faced rising waters for a long time and is... still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:12 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top