Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 12:25 PM

25,153 posts, read 12,308,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmiami View Post
I've lived in Florida for 25 years and been to lots of beaches here. Siesta Key in Sarasota, but it's too cool there to swim in winter. Also Naples Beach, which is further south and my personal favorite. It's just beautiful!
Naples beach in Downtown where the pier is is most active with younger people, but the sand isnt White like the other beaches in Naples. Barefoot Beach is spectacular, and very few people know about it. I love Vanderbuilt beach too just North of Naples city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 04:43 PM

4,437 posts, read 3,752,435 times
Forget central Florida, north florida = too cold
South florida is too crowded and water and sand suck
You will have to go to the Keys
But not just any part of the Keys, b/c they lack beaches

There is a very easy answer to this question: Dry Tortugas

White sand, turquoise WARM water, palm trees

Old 11-16-2018, 07:06 PM

Dry Totugas are perfect...if you like crickets chirping at night....no commerce there at all. Is there 1 hotel there? I'm guessing just a campground and marina.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:52 AM

26,817 posts, read 43,286,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
But not just any part of the Keys, b/c they lack beaches
Once again, false. There are actually six beaches in Key West with Smathers Beach the most well known and one of two largest, the other larger one is Higgs Beach. https://www.cityofkeywest-fl.gov/ego...hSubmit=Search

The water in Key West should be still warm enough in December but barely. If the OP is looking for truly warm water anytime from November through March I'd recommend since living in the Northeast taking advantage of one of many nonstop flights out of NYC to places like San Juan PR, St Thomas USVI or Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. The beaches are beautiful, the weather will be great (85 and sunny) and the water warm. The currency exchange if looking at the Dominican Republic makes it pretty even most likely with a trip to Florida in high season.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:09 AM

I think what sinatras meant to say is that most of the Keys lack SANDY beaches. Key West's beaches are very narrow and mostly pebbles. Some islands in the Keys have sand, but most of them are desolate. Islamorada is one exception.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:56 AM

27,232 posts, read 28,308,556 times
I booked my plane ticket for Tampa on December 23. I’ve never been to that coast of Florida, so I’m looking forward to checking it out.

I’ve been to Miami and Orlando a few times before, so I wanted to go with some place different this time. I have also been to San Juan and that was nice. But I didn’t want to do a Caribbean vacation this time around.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:22 PM

24,323 posts, read 26,701,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I booked my plane ticket for Tampa on December 23. I’ve never been to that coast of Florida, so I’m looking forward to checking it out.

I’ve been to Miami and Orlando a few times before, so I wanted to go with some place different this time. I have also been to San Juan and that was nice. But I didn’t want to do a Caribbean vacation this time around.
Check out Siesta Key, it’s the best beach in the continental US

Old 11-17-2018, 05:00 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,570,395 times
Siesta Key Beach is definitely nice - and you will usually be OK to swim on decently warm days most months (they do get some cold streaks....60 degree days)....

Right now they are still experiencing Red Tide so swimming might be chancy. But it often wanes in the next month or so - fingers crossed here since I will down there start of Dec.

Punta Cana (Dominican Republic) is fairly amazing, IMHO....but you have to leave the USA. Keys are OK, but everything you do is close to a major highway.

The really best US beaches aren't year-round (Hilton Head and many others)...

Old 11-17-2018, 06:29 PM

Good luck swimming at Siesta Key in late December. Bad advice. Must go further South.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:43 AM

27,232 posts, read 28,308,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Good luck swimming at Siesta Key in late December. Bad advice. Must go further South.
I do a lot of driving when I'm in Florida. So, I'll be going to different beaches.

Plus, I'm sure there will be other nearby attractions worth visiting with the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida