Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 11:17 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

While there are better beaches in Florida than the ones found in Key West, the beaches and water in Key West are still better than most of the beaches in the continental US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 12:09 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Shocking, you actually went through photos and found the least enticing to make your point. Mine wasn't that people flock to the beaches in Key West for their quality, only that they in fact do exist which was a claim made earlier that they don't if you had bothered to read through the thread (and comprehend). Smathers Beach was rated one of the top beaches in Florida on the Travel Channel not long ago, so apparently some people do in fact find it appealing. Like anything subjective, our own perceptions don't necessarily equate to the best taste or being "right"...just another perspective.

I don't have to go through photos. The images of those ugly beaches in the Keys and their seaweed and dark water are cemented in my mind from decades of driving past them every weekend on the way to the marina where our boats were. Oh and by the way, if you haven't been to the Keys lately, Hurricane Irma made the seaweed and ugly beach problem even worse.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
While there are better beaches in Florida than the ones found in Key West, the beaches and water in Key West are still better than most of the beaches in the continental US.
Have you been to the Keys after Irma? Sad!

Although if you have a boat, there are many island beaches and sandbars near the Keys that are wonderful.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:03 PM

361 posts, read 259,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I grew up going to the Keys every weekend and I know the Keys. There is no beach in the Keys that I would ever recommend. Cuz there are no nice beaches.

And Dry Tortugas is the best thing in the Keys. Period.
Great videos of Dry T. on the web. But seems to be a camping ground. How did you do your time there?

Old 11-20-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
Great videos of Dry T. on the web. But seems to be a camping ground. How did you do your time there?
If you don't have a boat, the best way to do DT is to get on a charter boat from Key West early in the morning, spend the day on the beach/snorkeling, and then head back to Key West in the evening.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:15 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,607 times
My two cents:
If I wanted to swim in FL in December (which I don't), I'd go as far south as possible -- either Naples or Miami Beach. Key West is further south, but IMO the beaches aren't worth the long drive.
Siesta Key Beach is nice looking, but as a Sarasota resident I avoid it during the winter season because of crowds and parking. Also, its a long hike from your car to the water. We prefer the smaller, lesser known beaches, which are not as crowded, have easier parking, and are more frequented by locals (eg, Nokomis, or Turtle Beach).
Sanibel beaches are nice, but accommodations are limited on the Island, and its a long drive across the causeway from Fort Myers.
Never been to the Clearwater area. I've heard the beach is nice, but also tends more towards tourism and crowds.
It depends on whether you're looking for a traditional beach town, with all its good and bad points, or for a more natural and solitary beach experience -- which is definitely harder to find if you don't have a boat.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:46 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Check out Siesta Key, it’s the best beach in the continental US
No it is not.

It used to be a really great beach in the 70s and 80s. And, actually, Coquina Beach was much nicer than Siesta then, as it had dunes, trees, white powder sand and no people.

Siesta is very commercial now. The concession stand is gross. It is supercrowded with kids drinking and smoking, as well as lots of families. Sunsets used to be quiet--now the drums, sunset watchers, etc. overcrowd it.

And good luck parking.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:07 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Late December will be very hit or miss in the entire state, even in south FL. If a cold front comes through, it'll be chilly even in Miami as far as the beach goes. It could be warm too, it just depends. There's no guarantees.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:53 PM

110 posts, read 94,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
No it is not.

It used to be a really great beach in the 70s and 80s. And, actually, Coquina Beach was much nicer than Siesta then, as it had dunes, trees, white powder sand and no people.

Siesta is very commercial now. The concession stand is gross. It is supercrowded with kids drinking and smoking, as well as lots of families. Sunsets used to be quiet--now the drums, sunset watchers, etc. overcrowd it.

And good luck parking.
Siesta Key smells like pee pee most of the time, nothing special , it has been over hyped by some ecologist named Dr Beach,he is paid by marketing companies to name it #1 beach every year.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:04 PM

216 posts, read 271,985 times
Juno Beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida