Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 11:35 AM

51 posts, read 245,974 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (both 25) moved here about two years ago from the suburbs of a large midwestern city.

After finishing school, we were excited to move here permanently after our wedding in Orlando in the summer of 2006. At the time, new homes sales seemed like an exciting opportunity.

The past two years have been financially lucrative, but the last six months have been difficult to say the least.

There are pros/cons in any situation, but it appears that moving back may be our best bet.

"Pros" for staying in Florida: weather, outdoor activities (beach, fishing, etc.)

"Pros" for moving home: larger job market with higher incomes, seems MUCH easier to meet people our age with similar interests and goals

In our particular situation (young couple trying to get established), job opportunity and having a better social life takes priority over living in "paradise".

Any other 20 somethings have a change of heart after moving here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 12:26 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
I would move, Florida is in shambles until they get some decent people in gov't and real jobs. Mickey Mouse don't pay jack. I'm glad I moved!

Old 04-05-2008, 01:29 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus View Post
My wife and I (both 25) moved here about two years ago from the suburbs of a large midwestern city.

After finishing school, we were excited to move here permanently after our wedding in Orlando in the summer of 2006. At the time, new homes sales seemed like an exciting opportunity.

The past two years have been financially lucrative, but the last six months have been difficult to say the least.

There are pros/cons in any situation, but it appears that moving back may be our best bet.

"Pros" for staying in Florida: weather, outdoor activities (beach, fishing, etc.)

"Pros" for moving home: larger job market with higher incomes, seems MUCH easier to meet people our age with similar interests and goals

In our particular situation (young couple trying to get established), job opportunity and having a better social life takes priority over living in "paradise".

We are in our mid30s with two little ones. We had to move to SWFL due to job circumstances. Unfortunately, it was an awful experience based on several things. We moved the first moment we could. The demographics in SWFL are not the best when you have toddlers. We knew that moving there but boy, it was definitely a specific age group who had no desire to be friendly to anyone with young children who may, gasp gasp, make a sound!!

That being said, I am SURE there are places in FL that have a younger crowd. It's a large state.

Have you looked to the panhandle area or east coast?

You have employment & can pay your bills? That's great. I'd really sit down with your wife & see what is going to be the best for your situation.

Good luck. Some times places just don't work out. Hope you guys find a place that makes you happy...just don't move to the SW part if you are looking for people your age

Old 04-05-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
You have employment & can pay your bills? That's great. I'd really sit down with your wife & see what is going to be the best for your situation.

Good luck. Some times places just don't work out. Hope you guys find a place that makes you happy...just don't move to the SW part if you are looking for people your age
Currently we are able to pay our bills but we don't have a large savings and homes are not really selling so the large part of our income is going to stop soon.

I've heard a few people recommend Tampa for people in their 20s... but I've applied to about 50 jobs there in the last 5 months with the help of professional recruiters and resume writers and I have not had any decent salary job offers.

On the other hand, I've already had a few offers coming from the city back home... that's what got my wife and I thinking about moving back.

My wife and I both want to stay to enjoy the weather in Florida, but it seems very difficult to secure stable, higher paying jobs outside of healthcare/government/education.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:11 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times
Ditch the state. Florida is being hit hard by this upcomming recession. You will find it hard to land a job here in the upcomming months.

I've been here almost 14 years and the government and PR people here have mades loads of promises over the years. Central Florida was going to be the next Silicon Valley, etc., etc. Well, none of it has happened. Instead, the state has a mediocre educational system, and once you get past the low taxes, not a very good quality of life- no business wants to locate to a state where the majority of people are uneducated, poor, and sickly. I blame people like Marco Rubio in the legislature, who are hellbent on keeping taxes low, even at the expense of social services and ammenities that would attract businesses. The retiree population here also has no interest in economic developement since for the most part they are living off social security and part time jobs. Crime is out of control, too, and again, not much is being done about that.

I'd leave if I could, actually. It's been going downhill since about 1999 or 2000.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:31 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
the press-journal newspaper just named marco rubio as the person impeding the anti-immigration bills proposed. the illegal immigrants have certainly hurt the job market in florida for the blue collar workers. i certainly disagree that most floridians want florida to be a social welfare state, but they do want to be able to earn a living wage.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:26 AM

34 posts, read 95,935 times
I'm 26 and I have been thinking about leaving Florida soon myself. Job Market sucks, very hard to meet new people in your age group with interests. And unless you want someone from the club scene, hard to meet other single people (And the club girls are not any good).

Old 04-06-2008, 08:16 AM

137 posts, read 545,869 times
We're in our 30's but feel the same way. It's so hard to meet people and trying to join a community group is like stepping in heavens waiting room. Everyone is at least 70. We're stuck here for now b/c of the crappy market but I do hope to get back to NY in the next 5 years. I just can't picture this being it for my life! I miss NY so much and wish I could blink and be back there.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:54 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus View Post

What is your trait?

Old 04-06-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
What is your trait?
I'll assume you mean "trade"

As I mentioned in my original post, I am currently in new home sales. Prior to new home sales and marketing, I had a background in outside sales, account management, and marketing in the transportation industry. My degree is in public relations/marketing.

I had a promising opportunity in pharmaceutical sales recently but the position was deleted after a company reorganization prior to accepting the offer. Besides that specific opportunity, all others offered very low pay. During an interview with a local credit union for a marketing director position, I was offered $12/hour for a position that requires a full suit. I certainly don't mind wearing a full suit, but wouldn't expect it for $12/hour. My wife and I pay over $1,000/month to lease our condo, and these offers just don't cut it.

Back home, I had explored a few similar positions that had roughly double the pay ($45 to $55k) and the cost of living is much less... less than $700/month for 2/2 apartments.

I guess the cost of living is elevated when you have baby boomers retiring here with a pocket full of midwestern/northeastern cash which doesn't reflect the typical housing supply and demand driven by young first time home buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida