U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 10:48 AM

17,422 posts, read 10,500,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
We met a couple just last evening from Connecticut. They were lamenting about how expensive it is to live there with all the taxes, and how much college tuition costs at UConn (where their Son attends). They just spent their last $30,000 from their 529 account on UConn, and told their Son the rest is up to him. They are paying 2x for college what we pay in Georgia, so our 529's holding just fine...no college loans needed.

They took a large loss on their home because very few can afford to pay the property taxes, so property values are in a downwards spiral. They said people are leaving Connecticut in droves. They were so happy to be here in Florida. After talking to them, we were so happy to have lived in Georgia, instead of Connecticut.

It was just a casual brief random discussion in a restaurant, so it would have been inapropriate to go into politics, but I'd love to know if they voted Dem up there in Connecticut all those years.
Yep

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/20...ts/connecticut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 02:18 PM

104 posts, read 33,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
We met a couple just last evening from Connecticut. They were lamenting about how expensive it is to live there with all the taxes, and how much college tuition costs at UConn (where their Son attends). They just spent their last $30,000 from their 529 account on UConn, and told their Son the rest is up to him. They are paying 2x for college what we pay in Georgia, so our 529's holding just fine...no college loans needed.

They took a large loss on their home because very few can afford to pay the property taxes, so property values are in a downwards spiral. They said people are leaving Connecticut in droves. They were so happy to be here in Florida. After talking to them, we were so happy to have lived in Georgia, instead of Connecticut.

It was just a casual brief random discussion in a restaurant, so it would have been inapropriate to go into politics, but I'd love to know if they voted Dem up there in Connecticut all those years.
Cool story bro... get their phone # and call them back in a year...they will probably be planning to move back to Conn or be "half-backs".

Old 11-30-2018, 02:19 PM

104 posts, read 33,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They're still better off than any GOP controlled red hat voting State.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:11 PM

2,322 posts, read 840,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoLiberal View Post
They're still better off than any GOP controlled red hat voting State.
Really? Well that's not what I've been reading...

As the 40.9% that voted Red flee, that leaves a lot fewer remaining taxpayers to burden the load, so things will decline rapidly and if you think taxes are high now, just wait. Connecticut's almost bankrupt now, so they can ill afford taxpayer flight according to this article...

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...220-story.html

Connecticut has one of the nation's highest per capita debt ratio's, so their bond ratings are plummeting. This is the same thing that happened when Detroit's freefall began. here's a scary article...

https://ctmirror.org/2018/04/13/sp-l...ng-hefty-debt/

Large corporations are fleeing Connecticut too...

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/11/conn...on-crisis.html

Progressive policy's are killing Connecticut. If it were not for the proximity to NYC and some very enticing corporate tax breaks, Connecticut would already be bankrupt. Pick up a weekend edition of the Wall Street Journal, and look at the Real Estate section. You'll see many Connecticut mansions for sale. The top 1% are fleeing and they pay a huge portion of Connecticut's taxes.

And then, there's the horrendous drug problem...

https://ctmirror.org/2018/08/16/ct-d...ngland-states/

I don't think the CT refugees we met 2 nights ago in Sarasota will ever return to this mess. Wishful thinking on EcoLiberal's part. This is what "running out of others people money" looks like.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:22 AM

1,099 posts, read 538,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
You and all dems have been saying that for 10-20 years...
Beto almost won in Texas despite it being mostly ultra-red in the vast majority of the state. But the major metro areas have become democratic due to the massive influx of new residents. The same thing happened in Arizona - Sinema actually won the Senate seat as a Democrat. She is a liberal, bisexual candidate who beat the odds. Back in the 80s during the ultra-conservative days of Arizona, there were red politicians like Evan Meacham and Barry Goldwater. In that time (70s and 80s), Sinema would not have even made it to candidacy. But modern Arizona has changed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyrsten_Sinema

The elections in Florida have been close. The FL Panhandle is definitely reliable for conservative election victories. But over time the rest of the state will grow, and that's when demographics could change just like it did in AZ and TX despite both having been red conservative strongholds for decades.

As for me, I am moderately conservative. I am minority and actually revere the fact that Jeb Bush outlawed Affirmative Action. But I also know the state needs healthcare reform. One of the political problems when I was there was when the state would not share its encounter data regarding Medicaid HMO pilot programs in South FL. A neutral, third-party organization wanted the data to verify if HMOs were cost efficient.

So, in about 20 years the demographics could change again. Texas might actually be moderately Democratic at that point with the recent major shifts. Arizona looks like it is already headed that way. Much of rural AZ is really ultra-red like the FL Panhandle. But the massive growth in Phoenix and Tucson has changed voting patterns. Look for Miami, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and Tampa to grow in ways that may be more liberal in decades to come.

I was really shocked when Sinema won here in AZ. Back in the 80s I would have thought it was 100% impossible given the ultra-conservative roots of the state's Republican party and voting patterns - the era of Barry Goldwater and Evan Meacham, a Die-Hard Mormon Republican who rescinded the MLK holiday. Those ultra-conservative voters of the FL Panhandle would have loved him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_Mecham

As for 2020, Ted Cruz's campaign managers asserted that Beto would be formidable in the presidential election if he tries to run for it - a "Kennedysque" type of candidate popular with young voters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beto_O%27Rourke

Last edited by grad_student200; 12-05-2018 at 12:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or