U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 05:27 AM

2,353 posts, read 869,292 times

Advertisements

Sumpter County, where most of the Vilages are located, had very close elections for Governor, and US Sentator races. The area appears to me to be well balanced. I don't know if the Villages has its own specific voting precinct, or how to get those mid-term electon results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 11:20 AM

15,087 posts, read 3,983,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Sumpter County, where most of the Vilages are located, had very close elections for Governor, and US Sentator races. The area appears to me to be well balanced. I don't know if the Villages has its own specific voting precinct, or how to get those mid-term electon results.
Huh!

https://www.sumterelections.org/Port...n_11-17-18.pdf

Rick Scott 52.8K
Nelson 21.6K

Do I have something wrong there - that is from the
https://www.sumterelections.org/

"Democrats: 24,181
Republicans: 52,974" - My guess is that the independents from there line up the same way...or perhaps even stronger GOP......

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with that. What I have some small disagreement with is pro-facto "governments" forcing political partisanship down the throats of people who buy houses. And, make no mistake, the guy that owns the Villages is like a one-man HOA board and King in terms of dictating everything, from the TV channels to the music to the signage to the "free" newspapers.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:41 AM

5,556 posts, read 5,061,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
What I have some small disagreement with is pro-facto "governments" forcing political partisanship down the throats of people who buy houses. And, make no mistake, the guy that owns the Villages is like a one-man HOA board and King in terms of dictating everything, from the TV channels to the music to the signage to the "free" newspapers.
Yes, and anyone who buys a house there and doesn't know this has been living under a rock.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:37 PM

15,087 posts, read 3,983,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Yes, and anyone who buys a house there and doesn't know this has been living under a rock.
When you are old you often just make the compromise in order to gain the benefit of the plus side of the situation. I have some neighbors who moved to the Villages and love it and they are either Dems or Independents

Some people have the ability to close their eyes to such things...which I can understand. They might rather all that stuff not be pumping out right wing "news", but they are going to the Golf Course or Pool or sitting home watching a movie and that's that.

It's more the size of this place that sets it apart...it's a big town going on city and/or county size in terms of population.

But it is what it is. It's only for discussions sake that we are noting the ability of any billionaire to start a city....or even take over a state...and then feed the masses with whatever media they like (in some cases they even own the media, like Sheldon Adelson bought the Vegas main paper so it wouldn't print bad things about him.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:35 PM

6,174 posts, read 3,078,637 times
Quote:
It's only for discussions sake that we are noting the ability of any billionaire to start a city....or even take over a state...and then feed the masses with whatever media they like...
You don't seem to have a very high opinion of the intelligence of the average person. Why not just take it for granted that "the masses" as you refer to them can (and do) make their own choices about what they believe and how they vote. They've lived longer than most of us, so they likely have a lot more experience in taking care of themselves and making decisions that are best for them.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:43 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,301,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAN246 View Post
Was doing some fact checking on the diversity at the villages in central Florida and found its 95.5 white. In all of they advertisements you never see any person of color. Sad! Its a nice safe retirement community but lack diversity.
If you give a damn about diversity-you ain't living in the Villages.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:51 AM

121 posts, read 163,331 times
We live about 45 minutes north of The Villages and go there frequently for shopping or to eat at one of the restaurants. To us, it seems like "Stepford Retirement". Very white and very Republican. Very little diversity.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:03 AM

17,521 posts, read 10,605,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFL View Post
If you give a damn about diversity-you ain't living in the Villages.
Define functional diversity and how to attain it voluntarily?

Old 12-03-2018, 07:15 AM

2,353 posts, read 869,292 times
craigiri said: "But it is what it is. It's only for discussions sake that we are noting the ability of any billionaire to start a city....or even take over a state...and then feed the masses with whatever media they like (in some cases they even own the media, like Sheldon Adelson bought the Vegas main paper so it wouldn't print bad things about him."

While he's drifting away from the topic a bit, let's examine his statement more closely...

Funny how he purposely chose the example of Conservative Sheldon Adelson when The media is largely owned by Liberal Billionaires, and the media outlets they own "feed the masses with whatever media they like"...a.k.a....fake news. Here's a link of them all...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/katevin.../#68a662fe660a

13 of 15 of these Billionaires lean left. Only 2 lean right...and craigiri uses 1 of those 2 for his example? Craigiri's guilty of spreading fake news. I felt compelled to expose him.

Now...back to the topic...

I'm glad the extraordinarily happy people who live the Villages have a place to escape this all. It's a free country, so people can live whereever they want, so long as they can afford it, and abide by the rules there. I'm happy for them.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:41 AM

5,556 posts, read 5,061,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Define functional diversity and how to attain it voluntarily?
I'll have a bit of a go at this: Planet Earth is a wonderful example of functional diversity. It contains diversity of just about everything: nature, climate, weather, plants, animals and humans, you name it, Planet Earth has it all (except for when SOME humans try to mess with it and engineer stuff people neither need nor want). And it's functional, after a fashion.

I've always thought of "diversity" as variety. I think, however, the social engineers have a different meaning for it. Or maybe they mean variety of races, creeds, colors and cultures within the sphere of influence of the human race. That's the neat thing about Planet Earth, it's got all of that! In different geographic areas, of course. Which is the only way that diversity can survive and thrive, really. And it gives people the opportunity to move elsewhere if they don't like the culture or customs where they live.

Here's the thing: with cultural diversity, it doesn't seem to work out. Sooner or later some culture or another will seek to dominate an area and often they end up succeeding. Miami is a great example of this. I lived there when it was indeed diverse, but it didn't stay that way. The culture changed, the language changed. And people who couldn't handle it, moved elsewhere. Those who could handle it, or had no choice, stayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida