U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 04:42 PM

17,524 posts, read 10,605,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I'll have a bit of a go at this: Planet Earth is a wonderful example of functional diversity. It contains diversity of just about everything: nature, climate, weather, plants, animals and humans, you name it, Planet Earth has it all (except for when SOME humans try to mess with it and engineer stuff people neither need nor want). And it's functional, after a fashion.

I've always thought of "diversity" as variety. I think, however, the social engineers have a different meaning for it. Or maybe they mean variety of races, creeds, colors and cultures within the sphere of influence of the human race. That's the neat thing about Planet Earth, it's got all of that! In different geographic areas, of course. Which is the only way that diversity can survive and thrive, really. And it gives people the opportunity to move elsewhere if they don't like the culture or customs where they live.

Here's the thing: with cultural diversity, it doesn't seem to work out. Sooner or later some culture or another will seek to dominate an area and often they end up succeeding. Miami is a great example of this. I lived there when it was indeed diverse, but it didn't stay that way. The culture changed, the language changed. And people who couldn't handle it, moved elsewhere. Those who could handle it, or had no choice, stayed.
Good description and ... no way to make it work the way (???) some groups use it. If they grow together, no diversity, if they grow apart, then diversity exists and .... division too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 10:58 PM

3,689 posts, read 2,013,475 times
It's important to remember that the lack of diversity at The Villages is because black and Latino people choose not to live there and not because they are prevented from doing so.

You cannot force diversity to happen when those who are diverse do not want it.

And for all the those complaining on here about The Villages management style it would appear to be successful otherwise so many wealthy and intelligent people wouldn't be living there.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:14 AM

48 posts, read 13,380 times
Why is so-called diversity automatically a magic bullet for anything?? how about decency and character?

Old 12-04-2018, 11:51 AM

2,837 posts, read 1,923,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Porter View Post
Why is so-called diversity automatically a magic bullet for anything?? how about decency and character?
You are totally right, Paul.
On a value scale of mine, decency and character would rate way above diversity.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:54 PM

830 posts, read 1,029,447 times
A few points about "diversity" :

1) The demographics of retirees is different than the population at large. Seniors are significantly whiter than the population at large across the country. So expecting the same diversity in this population you see in the population at large is unreasonable.

2) The demographics of retirees who are willing and able to move to Florida to retire in a planned retirement community is also much different than the population at large. It is self-selecting and requires significant sums of money. This leads to a whiter and more Republican demographic because statistically speaking older whites with money tend to be Republicans.

3) If you want "diversity", retire in a major metropolitan area in Florida, not the Villages. You'll find plenty of Diversity in Orlando, Tampa, and Southeast Florida.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:39 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,301,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Define functional diversity and how to attain it voluntarily?
What do you mean

Old 12-11-2018, 06:55 AM

15,122 posts, read 3,993,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Porter View Post
I don't think anyone is calling it a magic bullet. I was raised on the Main Line of Philly, an area somewhat famous for lack of such. But as I have traveled and lived other places I am always glad to hear other languages and touches of other cultures (especially food!). Here in Sarasota we have a large Amish community that speak other languages - we have lots of Europeans (Germans, etc.) as well as Hispanics and many religious (from new age to jews to evangelicals).

Personally, I find that a more interesting situation. Remember that in these retirement communities there are many social events where the state of the world, society and politics are discussed. My 95 YO MIL who lives in Delray Beach attends a political discussion group regularly. Isn't it more interesting to have differing points of view in these matters?

I guess for some it is not.

Over my entire life I have often wished to be ignorant. Now...that sounds strange, but I simply admire "joe and jane six-pack" who can go through life and not think deeply about things. But that's not me.

The Villages doesn't upset me nor do I want to force anything upon them...unless the owner is breaking some basic laws by forcing his views on everyone.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:20 AM

135 posts, read 55,216 times
Quote:
I'll have a bit of a go at this: Planet Earth is a wonderful example of functional diversity. It contains diversity of just about everything: nature, climate, weather, plants, animals and humans, you name it, Planet Earth has it all (except for when SOME humans try to mess with it and engineer stuff people neither need nor want). And it's functional, after a fashion.

I've always thought of "diversity" as variety. I think, however, the social engineers have a different meaning for it. Or maybe they mean variety of races, creeds, colors and cultures within the sphere of influence of the human race. That's the neat thing about Planet Earth, it's got all of that! In different geographic areas, of course. Which is the only way that diversity can survive and thrive, really. And it gives people the opportunity to move elsewhere if they don't like the culture or customs where they live.

Here's the thing: with cultural diversity, it doesn't seem to work out. Sooner or later some culture or another will seek to dominate an area and often they end up succeeding. Miami is a great example of this. I lived there when it was indeed diverse, but it didn't stay that way. The culture changed, the language changed. And people who couldn't handle it, moved elsewhere. Those who could handle it, or had no choice, stayed.
I wish I could give this post a million likes! So glad other recognize "diversity" for what it really is.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:17 AM

18 posts, read 7,132 times
Diversity is a stupid code word for "race"....simple....it has nothing to do with "thought".

Diversity has been become a co-opted calling card for leftists.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:13 PM

15,122 posts, read 3,993,514 times
Quote:
I'll have a bit of a go at this:
Well, according to this theory, wealthy Russians enjoy diversity as they are buying up vast numbers of properties in SE Florida.

Diversity is not a code word for race. It's a "code word" for the USA and.or the world. You've apparently lived a long time and not figured that out.

As far as humans "messing with it", short of that we'd have small tribes of a couple 100 or 1,000. Welcome to History. Rome was the most successful Empire for a LONG time specifically due to acceptance of "the other" as a full citizen IF they performed the duties and upheld the responsibilities of a citizen.

Why isn't Russia the USA? That is, if your theory is correct, we wouldn't have become the most successful nation in the history of the planet quicker than any other. Russia - with more resources, more land mass and less population density should be the wealthiest and happiness nation on the planet.

Don't get me wrong. If "your world" is seeking out your own tribe and staying only with that, more power to you. But when you try to project "your world" as "the world", I think you can go wrong.

It's hard to say that Florida represents much of anything except what money does without culture and history. It provides proof of nothing except unbridled greed and foolishness...hence being built up by Mafia and Drug Money and the "swampland in Florida I have to sell you" as well as the famous Florida Man (look it up).

Extending that model to the ROW (Rest of World) is not going to work out well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida