U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2018, 06:15 PM
 
5,556 posts, read 5,060,183 times
Reputation: 3944

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownKnight View Post
Leave it to City-Data forums to turn a thread about a town in Florida into discussions about slavery during the Roman empire.
No kidding. Russia is included as well.

Anyway, the OP hasn't been back to comment since their initial post. Pretty sure it's one of those drive-by posts meant to stir the pot, and they're probably laughing their head off somewhere in their parents' basement. (or den, seeing as how this is Florida and for the most part, we don't got no basements.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2018, 06:16 AM
 
2,353 posts, read 869,292 times
Reputation: 1633
I thought Democrats/Liberals were more compassionate, and tolerant, of people with opposing views and lifestyles. If that were true, we'd be reading/hearing a more serene, caring, loving, it takes a village, love one another, kinder, gentler, and much more supportive assessment of those who call The Villages home. I thought it was all about celebrating each other.

What happened to Love, and Peace? That is not the harmonious tone I'm getting in this topic thread. Instead, I'm getting a "Coexist...so long as you think the way I do" vibe.

Berkeley California, and most College campuses/towns are densely populated with Liberals, but I don't have any issues with that. We are all Americans...why can't Liberals be more like me?

Liberal retirees who would like to live near like-minded retirees here in Florida can choose to retire in Dade, Broward, or West Palm Beach County's. I'd suggest Debbie Wasserman-Schultz's District in particular.

If South Florida's not for you, Talahassee, or Gainesville, would be great for you as well.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 12-14-2018 at 06:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2018, 07:03 AM
 
135 posts, read 55,134 times
Reputation: 203
^This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2018, 07:23 PM
 
15,089 posts, read 3,983,077 times
Reputation: 10935
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
No kidding. Russia is included as well.

Anyway, the OP hasn't been back to comment since their initial post. Pretty sure it's one of those drive-by posts meant to stir the pot, and they're probably laughing their head off somewhere in their parents' basement. (or den, seeing as how this is Florida and for the most part, we don't got no basements.)
A fun topic....tho.

People break down into

1. Don't care.
2. Love it because I feel the same way.
or
3. Don't love it because I can't be myself....or feel like it (and these feeling can be real).

I have some good "liberal" friends who moved down to SW Florida full-time about 10 years back. They are super social and have made zillions of friends. But they admitted to me that they basically had to hide their views...whilst their "friends" didn't do the same.

About 8 years in they started being themselves again and didn't lose any friends. That's because the area has gotten more diverse politically also.

I think different standards apply to full-timers than they do do snowbirds....snowbirds don't change their stripes but some full-timers might..."when in rome".

I have no problem with anyone doing what they want. In terms of the Villages and other such places, I do think it's important for prospective buyers to know the "community standard" as set by the developer and spread out loud. It's akin to taking your very victorian girlfriend to Hooters without having told her what "Hooters" meant and what it is.

It looks like the old man has passed and reportedly the family stopped giving money to the "party" and have stopped being "activists" in terms of the community. Commerce usually calls for that....they certainly don't want to chase $$$ away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2018, 07:30 AM
 
2,353 posts, read 869,292 times
Reputation: 1633
craigiri said: "It looks like the old man has passed and reportedly the family stopped giving money to the "party" and have stopped being "activists" in terms of the community. Commerce usually calls for that....they certainly don't want to chase $$$ away."

Isn't it odd that they figured this out, but the media, and hollywood, can't?

How to let the prospective buyers know the villages are largely conservative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2018, 08:39 AM
 
15,089 posts, read 3,983,077 times
Reputation: 10935
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
craigiri said: "It looks like the old man has passed and reportedly the family stopped giving money to the "party" and have stopped being "activists" in terms of the community. Commerce usually calls for that....they certainly don't want to chase $$$ away."

Isn't it odd that they figured this out, but the media, and hollywood, can't?

How to let the prospective buyers know the villages are largely conservative?
1. You have to completely separate the Media from Hollywood. Media is going through a massive decades-long change due to the information revolution (internet). Hollywood is one of the most successful economic engines in the world - by any measure. As you well know, Success breed Success and they certainly aren't going to "change" and make stuff that people won't watch.

2. How to let buyers know? Well, as I said, probably water over the dam now assuming that the owner died and the family toned it down. But this is the responsibility of both the buyer and the realtor. A Realtor, for example, could give a couple copies of the newsletter to the prospective buyer and have lunch with them in the little town centers where Fox is playing full time in most shops.

Apparently, the political stuff was bad for business so the family dumped most of it when Dad passed away. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the Villages moderates more in future elections....but I won't be able to report back for a couple years!

Old folks almost always tend to vote against better schools and stuff like that...sadly, many don't take their responsibility to future generations as seriously as they do their own bank accounts. I think I am an exception as I never desired to move my domicile to save taxes or money. If everyone did that then we couldn't finance civil society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2018, 11:17 AM
 
17,521 posts, read 10,600,115 times
Reputation: 8431
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Old folks almost always tend to vote against better schools and stuff like that...sadly, many don't take their responsibility to future generations as seriously as they do their own bank accounts. I think I am an exception as I never desired to move my domicile to save taxes or money. If everyone did that then we couldn't finance civil society.
They paid for the schools their kids and grand kids attended. Now it is time for their kids and grand kids to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2018, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Watkinsville, GA
381 posts, read 930,331 times
Reputation: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I have some good "liberal" friends who moved down to SW Florida full-time about 10 years back. They are super social and have made zillions of friends. But they admitted to me that they basically had to hide their views...whilst their "friends" didn't do the same.

About 8 years in they started being themselves again and didn't lose any friends. That's because the area has gotten more diverse politically also.
I would think your friend's experience is because conservatives are much more tolerant than liberals.


Do some research. Triggered liberals are not accepting of other folks beliefs whilst conservatives welcome all viewpoints without trying to silence them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2018, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Watkinsville, GA
381 posts, read 930,331 times
Reputation: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAN246 View Post
Was doing some fact checking on the diversity at the villages in central Florida and found its 95.5 white. In all of they advertisements you never see any person of color. Sad! Its a nice safe retirement community but lack diversity.


Why is that "sad"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2018, 03:54 AM
Status: "Brexit bound" (set 20 days ago)
 
3,687 posts, read 2,011,560 times
Reputation: 5289
Diversity,eh ?

The University of Michigan has 82 diversity officers at an annual cost of $10.6miilion.
That would support full in-state tuition for 708 students.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mark_J_Pe...64863435870208
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top