U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-05-2018, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FL
5,331 posts, read 8,189,488 times
Reputation: 6406

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I mentioned on here in October that Fried was anti 2A and would become a gun grabber. She still has a month to go before being sworn in and already talking about gun control.
The article doesn’t mention anything about new gun control measures. What have you heard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2018, 07:30 PM
 
10,575 posts, read 10,860,316 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
We do things all the time that is unconstitutional, but I hear you.

Most would agree that many of these mass killings are carried out by people who are insane, and others around them warned authorities in advance...pleaded in many cases. After each incidence, when the details start coming out, they often point to mental illness. We all think to ourselves..."why wasn't this prevented when it was so obvious?" I'm not buying the answer of "we can't do anything until he does something illegal"

By that time, 20 people are dead.

America basically closed all the insane asylums years ago, and threw all the mentally ill back into their families homes, or out into the streets...which is why we have so many homeless people now and so many more of these mass killing incidents.

I don't have the answer, but even as a Conservative, I feel as though we've swung too far right on this. The semi-automatic weapons, and bump stocks need to be seriously looked at. Gun show loopholes need to be closed.
Wow, I'm actually finding a post I can agree with you on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2018, 07:32 PM
 
10,575 posts, read 10,860,316 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I mentioned on here in October that Fried was anti 2A and would become a gun grabber. She still has a month to go before being sworn in and already talking about gun control.
Sounds like a bunch of FUD to me. If the nra and the right did their job, Nikki fried wouldn't have needed to come to power to do something about it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2018, 08:07 PM
 
Location: FL
104 posts, read 34,406 times
Reputation: 221
The repeal of a rule that blocked some people with mental disorders from buying guns was the craziest thing ever

The Social Security Administration is no longer required to submit the names of certain mentally disabled beneficiaries to a federal agency that conducts gun background checks.

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/10/tr...-control-rule/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2018, 07:53 AM
 
Location: San Diego
35,233 posts, read 32,197,534 times
Reputation: 19766
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
We do things all the time that is unconstitutional, but I hear you.

Most would agree that many of these mass killings are carried out by people who are insane, and others around them warned authorities in advance...pleaded in many cases. After each incidence, when the details start coming out, they often point to mental illness. We all think to ourselves..."why wasn't this prevented when it was so obvious?" I'm not buying the answer of "we can't do anything until he does something illegal"

By that time, 20 people are dead.

America basically closed all the insane asylums years ago, and threw all the mentally ill back into their families homes, or out into the streets...which is why we have so many homeless people now and so many more of these mass killing incidents.

I don't have the answer, but even as a Conservative, I feel as though we've swung too far right on this. The semi-automatic weapons, and bump stocks need to be seriously looked at. Gun show loopholes need to be closed.
One of the last mass shootings was done with a shotgun and revolver. Do tell how less dead they were. Give five minutes which is about the response time for LE it doesn't matter much what firearm is being used when no one is shooting back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2018, 01:02 PM
 
2,372 posts, read 881,165 times
Reputation: 1653
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
One of the last mass shootings was done with a shotgun and revolver. Do tell how less dead they were. Give five minutes which is about the response time for LE it doesn't matter much what firearm is being used when no one is shooting back.
Assault weapons kill more people faster which gives first responders less time to save lives. They also remove some of the required shooting accuracy from the equation since you can spray bullets like a madman hoping they's hit somone, and have a higher chance of success at mid to longer ranges. (I realize close range shotgun sprays do not require a direct hit, so spare me that retort).

The shotgun and revolver are good for short range targets, like inside a classroom, but the assault rifle would be better from a distance. As people flee a mass shooter, the assault rifles keep target within range longer.

I stand by my post. We need to tamp down on semi-auto assault rifles, bump stocks, and gun show sales where a cash sale may avoid backgroud check,or any record of the sale whatsoever. Rapid fire machine guns have already been restricted, gatling guns, anti-aircraft, bazooka's, ect.. It can be done.

Society also needs to re-open some of the secured housing for mentally insane. As I said, many times friends and family members see it coming, but are helpless to act proactively. They call the police, nothing happens, people die. Why not police assess, detain if they feel there is probable cause for 72 hours to provide cooldown and to call in a criminal psychologists to assess the patient. Perhaps this detention would require at least 2 or 3 people to corroborate the danger signals to provide protection against being wrongly charged. I dont have all the answers, just brainstorming, but what we are doing now clearly is not working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2018, 01:26 PM
 
135 posts, read 56,023 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Sounds like a bunch of FUD to me. If the nra and the right did their job, Nikki fried wouldn't have needed to come to power to do something about it
Nikki "came to power" because the potheads voted for her, as she's a marijuana lobbyist. Literally.


The NRA's "job" is to provide gun safety training and to be an advocate for its millions of members. That's it. Not sure what other "job" you're referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2018, 01:28 PM
 
135 posts, read 56,023 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Assault weapons kill more people faster which gives first responders less time to save lives. They also remove some of the required shooting accuracy from the equation since you can spray bullets like a madman hoping they's hit somone, and have a higher chance of success at mid to longer ranges. (I realize close range shotgun sprays do not require a direct hit, so spare me that retort).

The shotgun and revolver are good for short range targets, like inside a classroom, but the assault rifle would be better from a distance. As people flee a mass shooter, the assault rifles keep target within range longer.
Cool story. Where did you obtain your weapons training in order to come to this conclusion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2018, 01:34 PM
 
2,372 posts, read 881,165 times
Reputation: 1653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
Cool story. Where did you obtain your weapons training in order to come to this conclusion?
Called the school of common sense...and a friend who is a SWAT team member in Georgia. If assault rifles were not more efficient than regular guns, they would not be selling any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2018, 01:34 AM
 
10,575 posts, read 10,860,316 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
.


The NRA's "job" is to provide gun safety training and to be an advocate for its millions of members. That's it. Not sure what other "job" you're referring to.
And call for responsible gun ownership, something they used to do before they were populated by gun nuts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top