Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 02:12 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,282,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yet it is a preventable epidemic nonetheless. Nowhere else has the same level of deaths from mass shootings
And most are criminal shootings and they will get guns regardless of any law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 02:19 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,242,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And most are criminal shootings and they will get guns regardless of any law.
Patently false. Orlando, parkland, Vegas etc. Are you trying to lie or just ignore the truth? Most mass shooters legally purchased their firearms

Old 12-09-2018, 05:37 PM

113 posts, read 140,784 times
As soon as they decide to carry out an attack, they are criminals! A CCW is null and void if you are going to do something illegal with the firearms.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:31 AM

25,332 posts, read 12,453,308 times
Quote:
Patently false. Orlando, parkland, Vegas etc. Are you trying to lie or just ignore the truth? Most mass shooters legally purchased their firearms
I think this is an extremely compelling fact that destroys most of the gun control groups' claims.

Even so, I still feel that increasing control over rapid-fire assault style weapons/devices is wise, as is closing the gun show loopholes. I see these 2 steps to be a good compromise that could really help save lives w/o adversely impacting 90% of gun owners (purely a estimated % on my part).

Old 12-10-2018, 06:58 AM

482 posts, read 414,121 times
Quote:
Most mass shooters legally purchased their firearms
Source?

Old 12-10-2018, 07:14 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,687,462 times
My personal POV is that all sales or exchanges of guns (except those within immediate families) should require a background check through a FFL. I also think it would be completely constitutional to require a safe handling and ownership course, with a test and demonstrated competency, before getting a first gun. I know that “well regulated militia” is not the requirement for 2A rights but surely a training and competency threshold would fall under “well regulated”. However, background checks and training won’t accomplish what nearly everyone agrees on (keeping guns out of the hands of people who should not have them) until those background checks include mental health concerns. There are many associated problems with that but I think we need to get through them as a society. There are also inconsistent reporting problems among the states that need to be resolved. I see the NRA as an impediment to these things although they could be (and are) invaluable for the training part.

Having said that, most guns (by far) that are purchased legally, with or without background checks, are never involved in any criminal activity. Guns are not the problem and it doesn’t matter what type of gun you are talking about. If they were the problem, we’d all be dead by now. Blaming inanimate objects is nothing more than a simplistic, knee-jerk reaction to a complicated problem. And, designating semi-automatic guns as being the greater problem is no more well-reasoned as they still require an individual to pull the trigger each time for each shot. The problem we need to solve as a society is identifying which individuals should have their 2A right suspended, for how long, and how they are to be handled. If the new person or agency addresses these things, I look forward to it.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:06 AM

25,332 posts, read 12,453,308 times
If humans didn't exist, you inanimate object arguement would be valid. But humans do exist, and some of them are bad.

Thus, we cannot totally seperate the 2. If we can eliminate or more closely control the most lethal kinds, that could save lives.

I totally agree with everything else you said....every transfer tracked and every person trained and tested prior to purchase. That would reduce accidental deaths, but not the purposely ones. We need to add the known mentally ill to the FBI database to reduce the # of sick people from getting their hands on guns and killing.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:48 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,242,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
Source?
https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/sa...egally-n474441

https://abcnews.go.com/US/guns-mass-...ry?id=48055331

The bigger question is....Will you care?

Old 12-10-2018, 10:27 AM

482 posts, read 414,121 times
Quote:

The source used for both stories is...Mother Jones.

I asked for a source. That implies that you use a credible one. Not Media Matters, Daily Kos, Buzzfeed, HuffPo, etc.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:57 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,687,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
If humans didn't exist, you inanimate object arguement would be valid. But humans do exist, and some of them are bad.
Well, I don't hold out any hope that bad human behavior will ever change (and that is yet another reason for owning weapons) but all inanimate objects are potentially deadly weapons in the hands of a disturbed person. Some inanimate objects can do more damage in terms of numbers than others as we saw on 911. We didn't blame planes, or ban their use....we did what we could to make sure that the wrong people don't get their hands on them. We also didn't determine that the only planes we could use from that point forward were small planes because too many could die if a large plane went down. And, to carry the analogy out, ad nauseam, planes are used as both instruments of war and for peaceful purposes, as are guns yet, for some reason, people only want to talk about eliminating or severely curtailing the use of guns and gun accessories.

If we could snap our fingers and eliminate all existing semi-automatic guns and magazines, do you know what would happen? No one would die from a semi-automatic gun...it's absolutely true. Unfortunately, that can't happen and, even if it could, people would still find ways to kill or hurt other people just as they have throughout time. Timothy McVeigh did it with a truck and some fertilizer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida