Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 05:52 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,310,474 times

Advertisements

Nice to have common sense gun regulation back in fl. It was criminal that Putnam allowed CCW permit holders top get through without an FBI background check

https://www.theledger.com/news/20181...as-gun-program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 07:54 AM

110 posts, read 94,004 times
I'm glad "NRA PUTNAM" lost big, i don't know what her powers are,but will she be able to pass anything under a GOP super majority FL legislature?

Old 12-05-2018, 12:19 PM

25,652 posts, read 12,750,230 times
Chicago has some of the strictest gun regs...how's that working out? So does the U.K. where stabbing deaths are growing exponentially. Then there's pipe bombs, trucks mowing down pedestrians, and countless other ways nuts can kill.

Isn't it Switzerland that requires gun ownership, and has some of the lowest gun crime rates on Earth. Kennesaw Georgia also mandates gun ownership, and they have the same result as Switzerland.

I do favor FBI backround checks though, and would like to see the gun show loopholes closed.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:38 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,732,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Nice to have common sense gun regulation back in fl. It was criminal that Putnam allowed CCW permit holders top get through without an FBI background check

https://www.theledger.com/news/20181...as-gun-program
I understand that all government departments at all levels make errors but the regulations for a Florida CCW are not exactly lax. From what I see on a related website, “All applicants for a Florida concealed weapon license submit fingerprints that are checked against the Florida Crime Information Center database (FCIC), National Crime Information Center database (NCIC) and National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) for disqualifying offenses.”

Old 12-05-2018, 02:47 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,310,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I understand that all government departments at all levels make errors but the regulations for a Florida CCW are not exactly lax. From what I see on a related website, “All applicants for a Florida concealed weapon license submit fingerprints that are checked against the Florida Crime Information Center database (FCIC), National Crime Information Center database (NCIC) and National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) for disqualifying offenses.”
The general move has been to move gun regulation to an elected office and not follow the regulations as written. I'm glad that fried will be looking to move it back to fdle.

Regulations are meaningless if they are not being followed which was clearly the case under Putnam woo was very nra friendly

Old 12-05-2018, 03:24 PM

Applicants should also be run through a list of Americans that have known psychological disorders, and under care for them.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
The general move has been to move gun regulation to an elected office and not follow the regulations as written. I'm glad that fried will be looking to move it back to fdle.

Regulations are meaningless if they are not being followed which was clearly the case under Putnam woo was very nra friendly
I’m not going to look this up (as I would normally) but IIRC, the case you are talking about had nothing to do with Putnam or his political opinions. There was an aberration where an employee was screwing up and that resulted in policy not being followed but it was not like Putnam had provided any direction to ignore the law or the existing policy.

I don’t think it matters which department handles the licenses but the law must be followed and there must be accountability if people are improperly allowed a license or improperly restricted from a license.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Applicants should also be run through a list of Americans that have known psychological disorders, and under care for them.
Although I agree, personally, that this would go a long way toward stopping much of the gun violence we see, it is probably not constitutional. I do like the new law that allows authorities to temporarily remove guns in some cases but I completely understand the argument that it can be a slippery slope. However, I think it is the responsible gun owners who must lead the way toward helping solve what is clearly a problem in our society. Steadfastly refusing to accept any and all ideas is just not reasonable or helpful. As well, blaming or banning guns as the problem is also neither reasonable nor helpful.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Although I agree, personally, that this would go a long way toward stopping much of the gun violence we see, it is probably not constitutional. I do like the new law that allows authorities to temporarily remove guns in some cases but I completely understand the argument that it can be a slippery slope. However, I think it is the responsible gun owners who must lead the way toward helping solve what is clearly a problem in our society. Steadfastly refusing to accept any and all ideas is just not reasonable or helpful. As well, blaming or banning guns as the problem is also neither reasonable nor helpful.
We do things all the time that is unconstitutional, but I hear you.

Most would agree that many of these mass killings are carried out by people who are insane, and others around them warned authorities in advance...pleaded in many cases. After each incidence, when the details start coming out, they often point to mental illness. We all think to ourselves..."why wasn't this prevented when it was so obvious?" I'm not buying the answer of "we can't do anything until he does something illegal"

By that time, 20 people are dead.

America basically closed all the insane asylums years ago, and threw all the mentally ill back into their families homes, or out into the streets...which is why we have so many homeless people now and so many more of these mass killing incidents.

I don't have the answer, but even as a Conservative, I feel as though we've swung too far right on this. The semi-automatic weapons, and bump stocks need to be seriously looked at. Gun show loopholes need to be closed.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:54 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,066,468 times
I mentioned on here in October that Fried was anti 2A and would become a gun grabber. She still has a month to go before being sworn in and already talking about gun control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida