U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:44 PM

52 posts, read 264,763 times

Advertisements

How is the roof vent connected to the toilet? Is there an out-gas kinda thing in the tank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 03:51 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,766,119 times
It's to prevent the water from sinks and toilets from being sucked down the drain, and stinky sewer gas fron entering homes. You can see the vents sticking out of your roof. Tree frogs can submerge in water, so the toilet is just like a bromeliad to them.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 PM

54 posts, read 283,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeabel View Post
How is the roof vent connected to the toilet? Is there an out-gas kinda thing in the tank?
If you take a look at your house roof carefully you will see at least one pipe for each bathroom and depending on location one for the kitchen. To allow water to drain smoothly, air has to enter and escape the pipes, try poaring water fast from a bottle and watch the bubbles as the flow stops and starts.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,602 times
Default Plumbing vent's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The frogs get in through the roof vent and come up through the toilet. It has happened to me twice. No way to avoid it unless you put a screen on the plumbing vents. This will also keep the roaches out.

I am freaking out now, I thought about roaches due to we have a lot of big tree roaches that get in our house and I have had the frogs in toilet twice now. I know that we can cover the plumbing vents and will do that. My question is when you say this will keep roaches out to, well I haven't seen and roaches in toilet didn't figure they would come up and climb out of toilet, so how would they get in through roof vent? Just trying to understand.

Thanks

Old 06-06-2011, 07:55 AM

374 posts, read 806,921 times
This really isn't about frogs, but reminds me of something that happened many, many years ago when I was a child living in Safety Harbor...

My parents had friends who had recently built a new home "out in the country." Those were the days before master bedrooms with attached/private bathrooms. And being in the country, they were always on guard for wildlife.

One night the wife got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. As many of us do, she didn't turn on a light because she didn't want to disturb anyone. As she sat down to use the toilet, two cold hands on her bare bottom stopped her, struck terror in her and set her shrieking through the house Unknown to her, one of the girls was sitting there using the toilet and had reached out to keep her mom from sitting on her Talk about thinking something awful is in the toilet and trying to get you...

When I read about the frog in the toilet all I could think of was a GIANT frog with cold clammy feet reaching out on a bare bottom I guess this is where we can be thankful that those little green frogs are usually small

Last edited by TN Gal now; 06-06-2011 at 08:40 AM..

Old 06-07-2011, 11:26 PM

6,851 posts, read 9,248,456 times
I had a frog in toilet a few weeks ago and my neighbor had one last week. They are on the roof at night looking for bugs. When the sun comes up they crawl in the vent pipe. Some just keep crawling and end up in your toilet.
We decided to place a wire screen over the vent pipes. But when we checked out the vent pipes, we discovered that squirrels had chewed away all the lead cover. So all we had sticking out of the roof was bare PVC pipe. Squirrels sharpen their teeth on the lead covers. Seems that lead only affects humans. The squirrels are multiplying like rabbits.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:18 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,616,362 times
We live in North Florida. A few weeks ago, a neighbor found a coiled-up black snake in her toilet. Now, THAT would make me jump back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida