U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:35 PM

52 posts, read 265,056 times

Advertisements

So, today I found a rather large tree frog in my toilet. I'm a little off-put by it and I'm wondering how it got there.

(I also almost stepped on a nice-sized black snake yesterday on the sidewalk but dealt with that better than the frog in the toilet...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 12:39 PM

6,985 posts, read 15,478,065 times
^^

welcome to Florida?!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:13 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,128,686 times
LOL, sorry to laugh but that is funny! We find frogs and gecko's in our house on occassion. We have a screen porch off the dinin room with sliders. By opening the screen door to let the dog out is how they get in. The cat has a great time with them!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:22 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,256,020 times
Please provide more info on your frog situation:

Type of frog:

Size:

Color:

Something like this but green: http://www.vineland.org/history/pr_festival/frog8.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-06-2008, 05:49 PM

374 posts, read 1,495,627 times
OMG! my stomach hurts from LOL. I guess we better loooook before we sit

Old 04-06-2008, 06:50 PM

12,436 posts, read 31,483,930 times
Poor frog...he just wanted his own pond! Now he just gets pooped on!!

Old 04-06-2008, 09:10 PM

54 posts, read 283,848 times
Years ago my parents had a toilet that wouldn't flush right, plumber found nest of tree frogs in the vent stack near the roof. Easy access to the toilet if you know how to swim, swimming rat was much more disturbing.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:30 PM

432 posts, read 1,720,334 times
Oh this is funny. Reminds me of what happened when I was little, right after Hurricane Donna in 1960.

My parents had just bought a CBS house, new construction. We were in South Dade, kind of a wild place back then, lots of critters. My mom was finding new ones every day. Well, we had an abundance of tree frogs that year due to all the water from the storm. And apparently they found a way to lay their eggs in the plumbing somewhere....

So I was in the back yard playing with a friend, and my mom came to the back door and asked if we girls would like to help her clean the bathroom. We weren't too happy about that until we learned that we needed to get the frogs out of the bathroom. Apparently she turned on the bathtub faucet to clean the tub, and instead of water got a torrent of tree frogs!!!

Being little kids, we had such fun with this. She had the presence of mind to close the shower door, remove the window screen over the tub, and open the window. We climbed into the tub, caught several hundred frogs, and tossed them out the window. We tossed them at each other too. At the time I was too little to understand the words "I need a drink" which she was saying on the phone to one of her friends. I wondered what about cleaning the bathroom had made my mom thirsty!!!

Now, this was a week after she had found a little black snake in a hollow metal mop handle... and a bufo toad decided to hide in discarded cardboard rolls from our new carpet which were stored in the back until they could be picked up for trash - which I thought would make great toys for whatever I don't remember...Bufo are really repulsive when they jump out at you because you disturb their hiding places.....all of these things happened when my dad was out of town (he was a pilot for Eastern Airlines).

Critters are a fact of life in florida. Your frog probably came in on a plant, through an open door, and found a nice little "pond".

But I would close the bathroom door before you clean the tub, just in case.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:16 AM

52 posts, read 265,056 times
The stories are hilarious. I'm not even going to think about the whole tub faucet thing... that would be more than I'm in the mood for right now. The kids, however, thought it was lots of fun to fish the frog out of the toilet. (It looked almost exactly like the one in the picture Sunrico... tan with big, black, beady eyes. The same frog that loves to hang on our house at night.)

Seriously, is it more likely the frog came in through the plumbing or a door? (Although, we always keep the toilet lid down so I'm afraid the plumbing is the only reasonable explanation but I can't even figure in my mind how it got in there.)

Old 04-07-2008, 08:17 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,794,610 times
The frogs get in through the roof vent and come up through the toilet. It has happened to me twice. No way to avoid it unless you put a screen on the plumbing vents. This will also keep the roaches out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida