U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 08:01 PM

5,556 posts, read 5,060,183 times

Advertisements

From WalletHub:

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-place...ristmas/41924/

Orlando is #1, Tampa #18, Miami #19. Interesting. I can understand Orlando, with Disney and Universal, because of the celebrations.

But Tampa and Miami?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 08:17 PM

15,517 posts, read 13,509,459 times
Ah yea, Miami, pretty happening place for Christmas.

Old 12-25-2018, 06:23 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
From WalletHub:

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-place...ristmas/41924/

Orlando is #1, Tampa #18, Miami #19. Interesting. I can understand Orlando, with Disney and Universal, because of the celebrations.

But Tampa and Miami?
If you read the article it's based on varying criteria that includes charitable giving over the holidays, traditions, observance and shopping. If anything I don't get where Orlando ranks second in shopping given the overall abysmal retail sector here versus other cities though suppose it's based on population density versus quality. I also don't get how Orlando exceeds New York City which exudes holiday spirit versus the canned/manufactured variety seen here. Tampa heavily outperformed both Orlando and Miami in the generosity index which is probably to be expected given the income to rent ratio isn't as bad as the other two.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:31 AM

1,436 posts, read 2,447,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If you read the article it's based on varying criteria that includes charitable giving over the holidays, traditions, observance and shopping. If anything I don't get where Orlando ranks second in shopping given the overall abysmal retail sector here versus other cities though suppose it's based on population density versus quality. I also don't get how Orlando exceeds New York City which exudes holiday spirit versus the canned/manufactured variety seen here. Tampa heavily outperformed both Orlando and Miami in the generosity index which is probably to be expected given the income to rent ratio isn't as bad as the other two.
Huh? We have an outlet mall that is so crowded they started charging for parking.

Two malls (Florida and Millenia) that are like Christmas Eve year round. Disney essentially built their own mall.

Plenty of out-of-market stores.

Foreign tourists buy luggage when they arrive to they have fill it up with stuff from our stores. That's the ultimate "bring your own bag" program.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:11 AM

5,556 posts, read 5,060,183 times
Quote:
Well, now that you mention it, the generosity index as it relates to Tampa is not surprising. It's one of the nice things about Tampa, which has less to do with the income to rent ratio than the quality of the people. Having lived there for over 15 years, one of the great things about Tampa is the general fundamental decency of the people. Sure, there's crime and all the stuff that comes with an urban area, but for the most part, the area does seem to have a spirit of generosity that other areas don't have. There's always volunteers doing this or that, drives for various causes, etc. Metropolitan Ministries was always very high profile in feeding the less fortunate during the holidays. A couple of Christmases ago, I myself was the recipient of a random act of kindness while I was out shopping.

I don't know why this is, my theory is that so much of the population is middle and working class, with traditional values of love thy neighbor even if some of the lifestyles may be non-traditional. The Tampa Bay area has a lot of "give you the shirt off their backs" types of people. I hope that doesn't change with the population.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Huh? We have an outlet mall that is so crowded they started charging for parking.

Two malls (Florida and Millenia) that are like Christmas Eve year round. Disney essentially built their own mall.

Plenty of out-of-market stores.

Foreign tourists buy luggage when they arrive to they have fill it up with stuff from our stores. That's the ultimate "bring your own bag" program.
It's not about quantity, but quality....and foreign tourists are largely what keeps what little premium retail that exists thriving here as well as the outlet malls. Premium retailers like Crate & Barrel and Saks Fifth Avenue left the city while Nordstrom also took a pass after a closer look.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I don't know why this is, my theory is that so much of the population is middle and working class, with traditional values of love thy neighbor even if some of the lifestyles may be non-traditional. The Tampa Bay area has a lot of "give you the shirt off their backs" types of people. I hope that doesn't change with the population.
Perhaps it has a lot to do with the origin of most of the transplants in the Tampa Bay area who tend to have Midwest roots, versus the influx we see in the Orlando area from South Florida, the Northeast US and Puerto Rico.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:37 AM

1,436 posts, read 2,447,863 times
Quote:
It's not about quantity, but quality....and foreign tourists are largely what keeps what little premium retail that exists thriving here as well as the outlet malls. Premium retailers like Crate & Barrel and Saks Fifth Avenue left the city while Nordstrom also took a pass after a closer look.
Crate & Barrel was or is being replaced by Hermes, a store selling $20,000 women's wallets ("clutch"). There is a new Porsche dealership across I-4 that is the size of your typical mid/big city Ford/Chevy/Toyota dealership with a 4-5 story showroom deck. Maybe Crate & Barrel couldn't keep up with Pottery Barn or ScanDesign? There hasn't been a mass exodus of stores like Gucci, Prada, etc. But why do I care? They're all above my current pay-grade. ;-)

Yes, we lost Saks and Nordstrom but each were replaced by two Saks Off Fifth and Nordstrom Rack stores. (Macy's is experimenting with such a store called Backstage.) Off-price stores like Ross and TJ Maxx are having a field-day. Those spaces at The Florida Mall were quickly replaced by other stores, one of which is the new food court and the other a little open-air space with Zara, H&M, Forever 21, American Girl, etc. Open-air is in nowadays compared to traditional, enclosed malls. If/When Sears finally goes bust, The Florida Mall will likely be in the last round and Simon will be quick to tear it down and replace it with something else.

Anyway, I think these changes have more to do with the changing landscape of American retail in general rather than some sort of indication that Orlando shopping is not good or going downhill.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Crate & Barrel was or is being replaced by Hermes, a store selling $20,000 women's wallets ("clutch"). There is a new Porsche dealership across I-4 that is the size of your typical mid/big city Ford/Chevy/Toyota dealership with a 4-5 story showroom deck. Maybe Crate & Barrel couldn't keep up with Pottery Barn or ScanDesign? There hasn't been a mass exodus of stores like Gucci, Prada, etc. But why do I care? They're all above my current pay-grade. ;-)

Yes, we lost Saks and Nordstrom but each were replaced by two Saks Off Fifth and Nordstrom Rack stores. (Macy's is experimenting with such a store called Backstage.) Off-price stores like Ross and TJ Maxx are having a field-day. Those spaces at The Florida Mall were quickly replaced by other stores, one of which is the new food court and the other a little open-air space with Zara, H&M, Forever 21, American Girl, etc. Open-air is in nowadays compared to traditional, enclosed malls. If/When Sears finally goes bust, The Florida Mall will likely be in the last round and Simon will be quick to tear it down and replace it with something else.

Anyway, I think these changes have more to do with the changing landscape of American retail in general rather than some sort of indication that Orlando shopping is not good or going downhill.
Crate and Barrel is gone because they felt the market could never support their furniture line like the Tampa store has managed to do, and minus those sales the cost to renew the lease wasn't feasible. The Millenia store was a test of the waters before building a perimeter free-standing store that featured the full furniture line but corporate felt the demographic wasn't here to support it. I wouldn't place a lot of credibility on a Porsche dealership given the average full sized American-made pickup truck now costs at least 45K-50K for a base model, not to mention Porsches run about the same cost as other competitors such as BMW, Mercedes Benz and Audi. In terms of the Gucci, Prada, Tiffany and now Hermes don't think for a minute it's because Orlando as a city is generating their revenue. It's the Brits, Germans, Brazilians and Japanese (to name a few) that are vacationing here/shopping here that are doing a vast majority of the buying, and minus the attractions would never have set foot in the area. In terms of changing landscape of retail, I would say yes and no. The backlash to brick and mortar retail in the mall form has been severe, however the newer designs of open-air "lifestyle centers" as they're referred to in the industry is changing perceptions and attracting back shoppers from their robe and fuzzy slippers at home. Modern day shoppers want to have more of a five senses experience and developers along with some retailers are adjusting. Just one example of many is Birkdale Village in the suburbs north of Charlotte. Besides retail/restaurants it features offices for built-in commercial day time traffic plus year-round events for all ages and residential rentals mixed in as well for evening traffic. In my opinion it's symbolic of the future for retail centers, and has been replicated all over the US already. Birkdale Village | Shopping & Restaurants in Huntersville, NC

Old 12-25-2018, 12:38 PM

17,914 posts, read 17,814,409 times
I'd rank Orlando and NYC at the top. NYC being the more traditional option and Orlando being the most entertaining option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or