Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 09:44 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,332,386 times

Advertisements

Seven families are shattered and heart broken. It makes no difference to these families if their loved ones were taken in an auto accident or gunned down in cold blood. I get the homicide investigation. I'm sad for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 10:35 PM

13,260 posts, read 22,673,490 times
I've heard reports that the accident wasn't too far from where Florida 511 cameras are placed so there may be some useful video of how the crash happened. My thoughts and prayers to the families of the dead.

I do hate that stretch of I-75 between Gainesville and metro Tampa. We do it a few times a year and there's always something happening there, whether a crash or perpetual road construction. I actually got my first smartphone because of that road- we were trying to get home and there was some massive crash between Gainesville and Ocala, and I ended up calling my Dad on my flip phone so he could look up the FHP web site on his home computer and give me an alternate route, and it was like 'yeah, it's time to get one of those useful little pocket computer things that makes finding detours easy'

Old 01-04-2019, 11:20 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,160,264 times
I was sorry to hear about this accident. I've not often been on this section of the road, but never found it near as dangerous as I4, the whole dang length of it. And the toll roads up there too are just awful. I have family up that way and only go because I want to see them. Otherwise I would never go on those roads. I think I75 down through Sarasota is pretty gnarly these days too. Absolutely too much traffic on Florida roads these days.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:32 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,720,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The infrastructure in Florida is excellent, there is nothing wrong with that section of highway, it is straight, not even all that crowded ever. yes, I travel through there frequently. If you hit it and it was a parking lot, it was either during a holiday travel period, or there was some event to cause a back up, because other than that, it is not ever a parking lot there, hardly anyone even lives around there, it is not a large metro area. But not sure why you think your life and limb was in danger? How so if you were creeping along in this parking lot? How so if doing normal speed as it is basically a straight, flat highway?

Yes. The only time I could imagine I-75 in that area having Orlando/Tampa/Miami level traffic outside of an accident is during college football bowl season, depending on the teams. There are times I've come through there on December 30 and it's a mess from I-10 to the Turnpike when the traffic finally gets split up between Orlando and Tampa bound cars.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:36 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,211,851 times
Let me put this into perspective. Fatal crashes in FL are handled by police officers who are specifically certified as Traffic Homicide Investigators. This does not mean that they only investigate traffic homicides that are murder, they simply handle ANY fatal crash (or very serious crash that has a high likelihood of turning fatal). Like I said earlier, any time someone kills another person, whether it be on purpose or simply by tragic accident, it's considered a homicide.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:26 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,172,209 times
Article in today's Gainesville Sun about the problems with I-75 in the area. They are talking about adding a truck only lane for semis and adding more traffic enforcement for speeders.

https://www.gainesville.com/news/201...at-can-be-done

Old 01-05-2019, 08:47 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,119,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Article in today's Gainesville Sun about the problems with I-75 in the area. They are talking about adding a truck only lane for semis and adding more traffic enforcement for speeders.

Thanks again, logy. Tried to rep you, but the CD gods won't let me until I "spread it around".

Old 01-06-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post

Get the Sheriff's Offices to do traffic enforcement on the Interstates. If the Interstate runs through a City, Town or Village, have their Police Department run traffic on the Interstate. . FHP is incredibly understaffed thanks to their low pay. I believe they're one of the lowest paid State Police agencies in the country. Also, here in Florida, sheriff's offices are not required to handle traffic crashes. This means that when a traffic crash occurs in an unincorporated part of the county, which the sheriff's office has jurisdiction over, they simply respond and then call FHP to respond out. This takes FHP away from their main duties, which is traffic enforcement on the interstate. Because of this, FHP simply does not have the resources to adequately patrol the interstates.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:10 AM

30,166 posts, read 20,887,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Get the Sheriff's Offices to do traffic enforcement on the Interstates. If the Interstate runs through a City, Town or Village, have their Police Department run traffic on the Interstate. . FHP is incredibly understaffed thanks to their low pay. I believe they're one of the lowest paid State Police agencies in the country. Also, here in Florida, sheriff's offices are not required to handle traffic crashes. This means that when a traffic crash occurs in an unincorporated part of the county, which the sheriff's office has jurisdiction over, they simply respond and then call FHP to respond out. This takes FHP away from their main duties, which is traffic enforcement on the interstate. Because of this, FHP simply does not have the resources to adequately patrol the interstates.
Sounds good to me, less chance i get caught doing a WOT burst in my Corvette.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Sounds good to me, less chance i get caught doing a WOT burst in my Corvette.
At least you'd be on an interstate. I wrote some idiot the other day for 77 in a 25 residential zone with homes on both sides of the roadway. $1100.00. No regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida