U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 04:54 AM

3,692 posts, read 3,091,008 times

Advertisements

They can get a direct ocean 2/2 condo in Cocoa Beach or Cape Canaveral for under $400,000. Well over a hundred properties within a short walk to beach for sale right now asking less than $400,000, some condos and some single family homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 05:18 AM

21,130 posts, read 30,224,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I'm trying to help a friend look for an oceanfront condo (ideally) or a home within a short walk to the beach. They don't want to drive to the beach at all. The whole point is to be able to walk the beach every morning with minimal effort otherwise there is no point to live there. They want walking distance and "affordable" with a budget ideally under $400,000.

I'm thinking the central Atlantic Coast from Melbourne Beach all the way up to St. Augustine may be the best option. Ormond Beach and Daytona seem to have an abundance of these kind of "affordable" condos as well.

Anywhere else I'm missing? They want basically a beachfront bargin hunt like the HGTV show but for Florida.
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They indicated they wanted "Ocean" front on the East Coast, Not Gulf Coast on the West Coast.
Use of the words "thinking" and "may" followed by "anywhere else I'm missing" wouldn't seem East Coast specific to most..

Old 01-14-2019, 09:40 AM

17,453 posts, read 10,529,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Use of the words "thinking" and "may" followed by "anywhere else I'm missing" wouldn't seem East Coast specific to most..
So far their comments have been about the East Coast. Now are there nice areas on the West Coast sure, but in many ways not as nice due to crowding and such. I have looked at living on the West coast several times and even owned property there. After years of investigation, chose the East coast. Now other may prefer the West, but the OP seemed to prefer the East coast.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:39 PM

826 posts, read 1,019,141 times
I started the thread for brainstorming for ideas I may not have considered. I don't think anything is "in" or "out" but I know the west coast of Florida fairly well and don't see that many affordable options. The nicer areas like Anna Maria Island, Siesta Key, Marco Island, Sanibel which seem to check off a lot of the boxes do not pass the affordability test. Also, red tide is a big issue there and whether it is man made or naturally occurring spending all that money to live right next to essentially a toxic ocean for months on end isn't appealing.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:23 PM

2,330 posts, read 847,485 times
I hope the OP has passed 32963's 28 property's that meet their criteria along. It's a beautiful and uncrowded place nearly devoid of tourists. Great beaches to step onto and walk.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:26 PM

15,126 posts, read 31,032,495 times
I hope they will factor in the GINORMOUS insurance rates for living oceanfront. Many times a condo or home may seem "affordable" until that gets factored in.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:18 PM

826 posts, read 1,019,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I hope they will factor in the GINORMOUS insurance rates for living oceanfront. Many times a condo or home may seem "affordable" until that gets factored in.
Yeah, this is an issue to consider. Even modest oceanfront buildings with basic amenities have $500 monthly HOA fees, most likely because of insurance and the cost of maintenance of the older structures. A lot of the "affordable" condos I'm seeing were built in the 70's and 80's before the aggressive new hurricane codes.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:54 AM

2,800 posts, read 1,764,287 times
Quote:
I started the thread for brainstorming for ideas I may not have considered. I don't think anything is "in" or "out" but I know the west coast of Florida fairly well and don't see that many affordable options. The nicer areas like Anna Maria Island, Siesta Key, Marco Island, Sanibel which seem to check off a lot of the boxes do not pass the affordability test. Also, red tide is a big issue there and whether it is man made or naturally occurring spending all that money to live right next to essentially a toxic ocean for months on end isn't appealing.
YES YES YES why would anyone want to live on the Toxic Gulf right now? Gross!

Old 01-15-2019, 10:00 AM

21,130 posts, read 30,224,576 times
Quote:
It's not exclusive to the Gulf side, and has expanded to the Atlantic coast as well.

https://weather.com/news/news/2018-1...d-tide-testing

Old 01-15-2019, 10:52 AM

2,800 posts, read 1,764,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's not exclusive to the Gulf side, and has expanded to the Atlantic coast as well.

https://weather.com/news/news/2018-1...d-tide-testing

It is a lot lot worse in the Gulf. It's currently still in the Gulf, but nowhere in the Atlantic.

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/lo...st/2571332002/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida