U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 07:02 AM

1,437 posts, read 1,797,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
He could replace his windows with impact resistant windows or get powered hurricane shutters. He left because he does't like Florida. If he wanted to stay there are solutions to protecting your windows.
I can’t imagine the cost to replace glass to approved inpact resistant.
Do powered hurricane shutters work when the power is out?I suppose if you add a generator to the mix one might be OK.
These suggestions sound like great ideas for the upper income folks,which I doubt most transplant/retirees are...unrealistic for most.

Your right, not fan of Florida, Florida beat me, I moved on, listening to the advertisements,sales pitch, one would think Florida is utopia, I remember stories of Jean and Francis I think they were back in 04, when areas were without power for Two+ weeks,and the damage...

I’m just trying to pass on first hand info to folks contemplating the move.
Unfortunately, some folks sold up North, after a few years of what Florida has to offer can’t afford to relocate.
...Stuck!

Last edited by bgrasser; 01-24-2019 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 04:33 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,386,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
I canít imagine the cost to replace glass to approved inpact resistant.
Do powered hurricane shutters work when the power is out?I suppose if you add a generator to the mix one might be OK.
These suggestions sound like great ideas for the upper income folks,which I doubt most transplant/retirees are...unrealistic for most.

Your right, not fan of Florida, Florida beat me, I moved on, listening to the advertisements,sales pitch, one would think Florida is utopia, I remember stories of Jean and Francis I think they were back in 04, when areas were without power for Two+ weeks,and the damage...

Iím just trying to pass on first hand info to folks contemplating the move.
Unfortunately, some folks sold up North, after a few years of what Florida has to offer canít afford to relocate.
...Stuck!
In our house the cost to replace 16 windows was about $9000.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:34 PM

461 posts, read 363,411 times
Quote:
He could replace his windows with impact resistant windows or get powered hurricane shutters. He left because he does't like Florida. If he wanted to stay there are solutions to protecting your windows.
Comical, and sad that people have so little understanding of the majority of peoples finances. Reminds me of the verse about the cop busting the homeless guy sleeping under the bridge. Hey pal the law is the law no can sleep under the bridge rich or poor.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:38 PM

461 posts, read 363,411 times
Quote:
Oh only 9 k, wow thats cheap.
Hard to believe I know but in 2019 nearly 50%, make 30 k or less YRLY, thats right nearly 50% in the USA.
By the way I don't know the size of your port hole Windows, you won't touch that price in Pinellas county. You couldn't replace 16 windows with 1978 made windows for 9 grand, too funny.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post
Oh only 9 k, wow thats cheap.
Hard to believe I know but in 2019 nearly 50%, make 30 k or less YRLY, thats right nearly 50% in the USA.
By the way I don't know the size of your port hole Windows, you won't touch that price in Pinellas county. You couldn't replace 16 windows with 1978 made windows for 9 grand, too funny.
Try the Window Shoppe in Daytona Beach, family owned and put in PGT impact resistant windows. You can certainly find folks that will charge you more if you wish.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:28 PM

3,554 posts, read 6,185,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
Sinkhole activity coverage is going to be pretty expensive. Not sure what your budget is, but I would just pick a house from a realtor website in your area of interest/budget and would run it by an insurance agent, if you are serious. If we tell you what we pay, it is useless. Plus insurance company seem to continue increase the price every renewal. After a couple of or so renewal, I tend just go shopping and switch. They seem to bet on people being busy and just renew what they send tacking $100 bucks here another there.

Best of luck in your research.
Actually here on the coast it adds about $10-$15 to the cost of our insurance.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:23 AM

13,572 posts, read 9,258,819 times
Quote:
That was a good deal neal. Only cost me $900 to replace mine and i did it with a friend. To put the real deal in would have cost 4k per window since i am right on the gulf

Old 01-26-2019, 05:55 PM

[quote=LKJ1988;54256754]That was a good deal neal. Only cost me $900 to replace mine and i did it with a friend. To put the real deal in would have cost 4k per window since i am right on the gulf[/QUOTE

We had several folks give us an estimate. Home Depot was over $14k with a special running. Window World gave us a bid and our local Window Shoppe. Home Deopot uses a brand they carry, window world has their own brand and the Window Shpppe bid PGT. We went with Window Shoppe and the PGT frames are vinyl which we like being 800' from the ocean.

Every quote I have gotten for french or sliding glass doors has been around $2k. But a local contractor has told me about local door manufacturer that will build one for less cost. Check your local options, only in Florida are windows/doors built to Miami/Dade standards a significant part of the window/door market. For manufactures like Pella it is a niche thing and you will pay a lot for it.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Really? Were they hurricane impact? Did you put them in yourself. I know my cousin's hurricane impact sliding door cost that much all by itself back in 2003 before the 2004 hurricanes hit. Her condo was on the beach in New Smyrna Beach so in the same county. You got a really good deal for
16 windows

Old 01-30-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Try the Window Shoppe in Daytona Beach, family owned and put in PGT impact resistant windows. You can certainly find folks that will charge you more if you wish.
Couldn't find it. Do you have a link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or