U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:16 AM

1,683 posts, read 7,573,746 times

Advertisements

HOA is $6482.

Vp...these are your Home Owners Association rates? WOW!! Perhaps they are your HOI - Home Owners Insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 09:24 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,818,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
HOA is $6482.

Vp...these are your Home Owners Association rates? WOW!! Perhaps they are your HOI - Home Owners Insurance?
You are fast Pianogal! Yes, you're correct. I was just in the shower and realized I had made an oops between HOI and HOA. That is definitely my HOI. I don't have association fees. Refuse to get into that kind of thing.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:27 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,657,528 times
The original poster said that a home or townhome in the 250k-300k range was what he was looking for and could afford. In Jupiter/Palm Beach Gardens, a nice family oriented suburb of West Palm Beach, you can get a nicely appointed townhome in that range in a planned (not gated) community with top rated schools, near-non-existent crime, and world class shopping.

As for deeper in the South, around Miami, I'm not familiar with the area to offer advice.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:33 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,387,394 times
vpcats - where do you live now? Man - we are way too lazy & couldn't afford to do all that! Our house is from '54. 2 bathrooms - I don't understand how anyone not living alone could have only one bathroom! I mean, I guess in an apt...Nothing here is modern. But we like it just fine. I can't believe you replaced carpet with tile!!! God how I wish we had carpet!!! Tile is nice, but carpet rules!!! Nice soft plush warm CARPET!!! Ahhhh! But we would never bother...It's not really the $, it's the HASTLE!!! Ugh! Also, we have a 120 gallon fishtank, so the carpet would have to be cut around it. Then whenever we sell, there'll be this missing rectangle...! But mostly it's just a pain...Next house...
We have crank windows & bars too. I'm GLAD we have them! Bars give protection not only from burglery, but hurricanes!!! (So do the crank windows!)

bale - unincorporated dade - east of 95 but not very - between North Miami & North Miami Beach - a bit south (& a bit east) of the golden glades.
Tells you the general area without being exact - this IS the internet...

chelito - mortgage/taxes/ins are 1550 a month. West Miami? Lord no! (No offense to anyone in West Miami ) We're - see above...
Not only don't I know how to post pictures, (though I did to sell on ebay a ways back so I could manage I guess) but I don't have a camera! Otherwise I'd gladly post some for you!

Old 12-28-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
vpcats - where do you live now? Man - we are way too lazy & couldn't afford to do all that! Our house is from '54. 2 bathrooms - I don't understand how anyone not living alone could have only one bathroom! I mean, I guess in an apt...Nothing here is modern. But we like it just fine. I can't believe you replaced carpet with tile!!! God how I wish we had carpet!!! Tile is nice, but carpet rules!!! Nice soft plush warm CARPET!!! Ahhhh! But we would never bother...It's not really the $, it's the HASTLE!!! Ugh! Also, we have a 120 gallon fishtank, so the carpet would have to be cut around it. Then whenever we sell, there'll be this missing rectangle...! But mostly it's just a pain...Next house...
We have crank windows & bars too. I'm GLAD we have them! Bars give protection not only from burglery, but hurricanes!!! (So do the crank windows!)

bale - unincorporated dade - east of 95 but not very - between North Miami & North Miami Beach - a bit south (& a bit east) of the golden glades.

chelito - mortgage/taxes/ins are 1550 a month. West Miami? Lord no! (No offense to anyone in West Miami ) We're - see above...
Not only don't I know how to post pictures, (though I did to sell on ebay a ways back so I could manage I guess) but I don't have a camera! Otherwise I'd gladly post some for you!

Not only did I take out the carpet but I refinished the original hardwood floors that were underneath TWICE and put marine varnish on them but I have a crawl space and there was too much humidity coming into the house and it was making me sick- literally. So we pulled up all the hardwood, put new subfloor, roofing paper, plywood, and that other green board you use for bathrooms, THEN put porcelain tiles (except the bedrooms which get better ventilation so left the hardwood there). Besides I have 2 dogs and 5 cats and a salt water fish tank. Carpet just does not work for me.

And I am the one who lives in West Miami. NO Bars. I have shutters.

Yeah, I'm done remodeling. Never again. Last two houses were 10 years old each and never had to do a thing.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:29 AM

6,566 posts, read 10,637,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
I drove through the area a few months ago and my grandparents used to live nearby many, many moons ago.

It is a good location geographically, close to the water to the east and close to the Golden Glades interchange for travel elsewhere in Dade and Broward, but now it seems a funky neighborhood. But who knows in twenty years?

As I and others have mentioned, however, this is not the typical case and not what the original poster was seeking.

The original poster was seeking a 2 or 3 bedroom condo or SFH in an young, up-and-coming community, mentioning towns like Miramar and Pembroke Pines.

The typical case for a 3/2 SFH house in the southeastern Florida region (Dade, Broward, Palm Beach) starts from around 260k, typically along the western corridor, but only relatively few of those, and more generally 300k and upward, and to afford that, assuming a traditional down payment, mortgage, insurance, and maintenance, not to mention other major expenses (possibly including also out-of-pocket health insurance premiums for more and more people), a household needs 100k in gross income, which is significantly higher than the national and Florida median household income.

Again, this is typical. Of course the variables can and do change on a case-by-case basis.

The original poster mentioned a 250k-300k price range, so I assume that the household has an 85k-100k annual gross income. If so, the objective can be achieved. And, again, conditions vary: for example, a relatively large down payment, obtained through inheritance, say, or years of saving through diligent living, can offset some of the recurring expenses typical of home ownership.

Generally speaking, however, affordability is still a widespread problem and in order for residential real estate inventory to move, now that "exotic" mortgages are passing from vogue, either existing households improve their incomes, households with higher incomes (or income-producing wealth) move into the region, or prices come down, and any combination of the above is possible.

Probably the biggest wild card in all this is whether another hurricane strikes the region in 2007. If not, after the current correction, the market will most likely "normalize", with average SFH price movements tracking general economic growth and/or inflation.

Last edited by bale002; 12-29-2006 at 04:44 AM..

Old 12-29-2006, 07:39 AM

1,683 posts, read 7,573,746 times
I don't understand how anyone not living alone could have only one bathroom!

This is a riot!! My parents raised 3 kids - count 'em 5 people in a house with only 1 bathroom! I know lots of families that raised 5 and 6 kids with one bathroom. Heck, my husband's mother grew up in a family of 11 and they had 1 outhouse!! I'm not putting you down Elfyum, this is just an example of how 'soft' we've become as a culture.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:55 AM

2,473 posts, read 4,833,830 times
Default Affordable Stuart...Small Town Atmosphere

Hi!!
I live in Stuart Fla and find that the area is still affordable!! I have a 3/2 house and have no problem meeting my bills!! I make 24k.
Stuart is about 35 miles north of West Palm Beach and would be about a 45 minute-1 hour commute to Boca Raton.

The thing I like about Stuart is it's "small-town" atmosphere while still being close to larger cities. We have lots of nice restaurants, "downtown" which is full of cute shops & cafes, close to beaches, very high-rated schools (highest graduation rate in the state according to the news last week), almost all your major stores (and mall) within a 10-mile radius, friendly people (a little less-so during winter snowbird season ) and low crime!!

To give you an idea, I am putting my deceased aunt's condo on the market soon for $180,000.00. It has almost 1600 sq. ft. of space and all the bells & whistles including granite counters and hurricane shutters!! With the homesteaded taxes on it around $1100.00 a year and monthly maintainence at around $250.00 a month....quite affordable for even someone like me AND is in a central location and not a "slum"!!!

If you don't mind the commute, Stuart is where I would look!!
Hope this helps with your decision!!

Old 12-29-2006, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Hi!!
I live in Stuart Fla and find that the area is still affordable!! I have a 3/2 house and have no problem meeting my bills!! I make 24k.
Stuart is about 35 miles north of West Palm Beach and would be about a 45 minute-1 hour commute to Boca Raton.

The thing I like about Stuart is it's "small-town" atmosphere while still being close to larger cities. We have lots of nice restaurants, "downtown" which is full of cute shops & cafes, close to beaches, very high-rated schools (highest graduation rate in the state according to the news last week), almost all your major stores (and mall) within a 10-mile radius, friendly people (a little less-so during winter snowbird season ) and low crime!!

To give you an idea, I am putting my deceased aunt's condo on the market soon for $180,000.00. It has almost 1600 sq. ft. of space and all the bells & whistles including granite counters and hurricane shutters!! With the homesteaded taxes on it around $1100.00 a year and monthly maintainence at around $250.00 a month....quite affordable for even someone like me AND is in a central location and not a "slum"!!!

If you don't mind the commute, Stuart is where I would look!!
Hope this helps with your decision!!
Nothing personal Jungle George but I find it quite hard to believe that you can live off $24K, I'm assuming annual figure here, and have no problems paying the bills on a 3/2 house, even if you had no mortgage. If there is other significant income coming in, well, that may be different. Stuart is not inexpensive all around.

Taxes on a $180K condo will not be $1100 and the association fee, well, that's throwing money down the drain. What does it include? No matter what it includes, that's $3,000/yr a year and it's not tax deductible. How much would you spend if you paid for all those things on your own (not to HOA)?

Granted, homeowner's insurance here is out of whack and not deductible either. Associations usually cover the outside of the structures but they tend to have huge assessments every time something major has to be done.

Last edited by vpcats; 12-29-2006 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: added comment

Old 12-29-2006, 10:53 AM

2,473 posts, read 4,833,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Nothing personal Jungle George but I find it quite hard to believe that you can live off $24K, I'm assuming annual figure here, and have no problems paying the bills on a 3/2 house, even if you had no mortgage. If there is other significant income coming in, well, that may be different. Stuart is not inexpensive all around.

Taxes on a $180K condo will not be $1100 and the association fee, well, that's throwing money down the drain. What does it include? No matter what it includes, that's $3,000/yr a year and it's not tax deductible. How much would you spend if you paid for all those things on your own (not to HOA)?

Granted, homeowner's insurance here is out of whack and not deductible either. Associations usually cover the outside of the structures but they tend to have huge assessments every time something major has to be done.
Nothing personal either, but I am not a "fancy" person who has to have the latest & greatest of everything. I make due with a 10 year old TV, I don't have granite countertops, I don't go out to dinner 3 times a week...in other words I live a simple life. Also I do not have a mortgage.

A friend of mine once said "we always have money for what we WANT" and I've found it to be true!! I know many people who are always late on their bills and cry they don't have enough money, but they are buying their kids Playstations and motorized scooters for Xmas!! Everyone's lives are different and with different priorities....

As to the condo, the homesteaded taxes were $1100.00 according to the county,(un-homesteaded $2200.00) and the monthly fees do cover insurance on the building itself. Yes, I must admit, after Jeanne the carports blew away (light aluminum) and for 6 months were assessed $167.00 extra a month, but that was to build code-enforced CBS carports that will withstand future storms which to me is worth the temporary extra. All upkeep on the exterior of the buildings including painting & lawn maintenance is also covered.

I know Stuart is not as cheap as it used to be, but when I compare prices to PSL (slightly cheaper but SO congested) I still think it is do-able and a nicer place to live.
Have a great New Year's!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or