U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 03:47 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,819,334 times

Advertisements

Happy New Year to you too Jungle George. Hey, I'd love to live in Stuart with no mortgage. I don't think I, even as a one person household, would make it on $24K and I'm not extravagant either. No play stations, no car payment. It would be extremely hard just to pay HOI, taxes, electric, groceries, gasoline, car insurance - basic necessities, no cable or internet or cell phone. Probably couldn't own a house at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,961 times
Thumbs up Pembroke Pines

Pembroke Pines has the best schools but they are charter schools. So if your kids arent entering kindergarten it is impossible to get in. A lot of the info on the schools in S FL is misleading even to South Floridians. I personally opt for private school, which alot of Floridians choose due to the school crisis. Elementary schools have improved in the past 5 years but most middle & high schools are horrible. If you want to move on the west side I would pick Pembroke Pines they have a great Rec dept and lots of events for families in the city. There is a great Latin population so you can visit local authentic "South Florida" cuisine right down the street without the traffic and crime of Miami. The downside is that Pembroke Pines is definitely a suburb and can be up to a 40 min commute if you happen to work in any of the downtown areas which are mostly east (cities like Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Hallandale, etc.) The traffic is scheduled to get much worse within the next 10 years based on growth projections and there are not alot of initiatives to prevent it. I personally live in east Hollywood and love it. I am not in an evacuation zone so I dont have to leave my condo during Hurricane season, I have ocean access and Im about 10 mins from the beach. The two bedroom condos here go for about 150 to 200K. Housing prices vary much more depending on the street and corner you live on. Over all Florida is pretty over priced and I would recommend purchasing a town home or large condo to help with taxes and insurance prices and coverage. The crime is definitely much more commonplace in SE FL than PA from what I read on this forum, but its part of living 50 miles away from Miami which is ranked in the top ten highest crime cities in the nation. Hope this info was helpful and not too late I see you have alot of replys.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:08 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,387,724 times
bale - I don't think our area is "funky"!!! The house behind us on two acres, as well as many of the other houses on huge lots are worth ALOT of $$$! What area are you in? Not saying you are racist, but yes this area is mostly Haitian. In my opinion that's a good thing. The houses are well kept & the lots are large, so I don't see what you are calling funky...
You are of course entitled to your opinion, & I to mine.

vpcats - yeah I know - people used to live without electricity too...
Nothing personal to you either - I just don't see appreciating modern conveniences as "soft"...

Old 12-29-2006, 06:35 PM

2,473 posts, read 4,834,126 times
Default Hey VPCats

Look at it this way....I make 24k. After taxes it's roughly 21k.
Taxes-2000.00
HOI-3000.00
Electric-2000.00
Car Insurance-600.00
Cable-1200.00
Phone-400.00
Water/Sewer-500.00
These necessities total 9700.00. This is actually what I pay (give or take a bit +/-)
That leaves me with 11,300.00 a year for groceries, gas and extras. Since I have no "extravagant needs", I do quite well on this and enjoy a lot of "free" entertainment and fun like the beach, parks, hanging out w/friends, etc.
I guess I'm rich in other ways!!!
Again....Happy New Year!!!!

Old 12-29-2006, 07:48 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,395,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Taxes-2000.00
HOI-3000.00
Electric-2000.00
Car Insurance-600.00
Cable-1200.00
Phone-400.00
Water/Sewer-500.00
These necessities total 9700.00. This is actually what I pay (give or take a bit +/-)
That leaves me with 11,300.00 a year for groceries, gas and extras. Since I have no "extravagant needs", I do quite well on this and enjoy a lot of "free" entertainment and fun like the beach, parks, hanging out w/friends, etc.
I don't know about those figures. Unless you never leave your house your gas bill is at least $200.00 to $300.00 a month x 12. Eating cheaply for two people plus miscellaneous kitchen and household needs, I hope you don't wipe your ass with the newspaper. is around $560 a month x 12. Figure at least a few hundred a month of unexpected expenses and you are already out of money. Get sick or have a major expense and you are in trouble real quick. I am self insured and I spend $1100.00 a month (wife and myself) just for health insurance. I doubt I would last long on your finances.

Old 12-30-2006, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Taxes-2000.00
HOI-3000.00
Electric-2000.00
Car Insurance-600.00
Cable-1200.00
Phone-400.00
Water/Sewer-500.00
I gotta hand it to you JG. It would not be enough for me. I'd have to live in what we call "efficiency" here and not be able to do much of anything else.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I gotta hand it to you JG. It would not be enough for me. I'd have to live in what we call "efficiency" here and not be able to do much of anything else.
I guess it was my upbringing!! I grew up in a tenament in NYC with roaches & rats the size of cats (my dad used to club them to death with a baseball bat in the living room when they'd come up from the basement) and we were poor.

My clothes all through growing up were Salvation Army and the bargain table at Woolworth's. My creativity with leftovers stems from my upbringing. My folks had a small piece of property upstate with a bungalow on it also...we used to go up on weekends and stay the summer when I was out of school. All we had there was electricity, so I had to chop wood for the woodstoves, pump water by hand to heat for cooking & washing and we even had an outhouse!! My folks were saving as much as possible to build a house on this property to retire in.

My dad had a heart attack & he had to retire, so they had enough to build a small house (21k back in '74), but all through my growing up years I learned to do with basics (and was very happy).

Nowadays I see folks buying all kinds of "things" to make themselves & their families "happy"....BUT...they work to death in order to afford all these things and family time is a dying breed AND they don't seem happy and what they have is not enough so they have to get more....like a vicious cycle.

I'm not saying everyone is like that, but it seems it's getting more & more common...

I guess I'm a dinosaur nowadays, but it helps me get by on what I have and I'm happy!!

Oh...and to the other poster....no I don't use newspaper...2-ply in fact!!!

Everyone have a great New Year & be safe!!

Old 12-30-2006, 08:45 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,395,999 times
Quote:
I guess it was my upbringing!! I grew up in a tenament in NYC with roaches & rats the size of cats (my dad used to club them to death with a baseball bat in the living room when they'd come up from the basement) and we were poor.

My clothes all through growing up were Salvation Army and the bargain table at Woolworth's. My creativity with leftovers stems from my upbringing. My folks had a small piece of property upstate with a bungalow on it also...we used to go up on weekends and stay the summer when I was out of school. All we had there was electricity, so I had to chop wood for the woodstoves, pump water by hand to heat for cooking & washing and we even had an outhouse!! My folks were saving as much as possible to build a house on this property to retire in.

My dad had a heart attack & he had to retire, so they had enough to build a small house (21k back in '74), but all through my growing up years I learned to do with basics (and was very happy).

Nowadays I see folks buying all kinds of "things" to make themselves & their families "happy"....BUT...they work to death in order to afford all these things and family time is a dying breed AND they don't seem happy and what they have is not enough so they have to get more....like a vicious cycle.

I'm not saying everyone is like that, but it seems it's getting more & more common...

I guess I'm a dinosaur nowadays, but it helps me get by on what I have and I'm happy!!

Oh...and to the other poster....no I don't use newspaper...2-ply in fact!!!

Everyone have a great New Year & be safe!!
Do you have any health insurance? The fact is you can't live on what you say, I suspect your partner, (I have read your writings on other forums) picks up the slack and pays some of the bills. You are not being completely honest.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Do you have any health insurance? The fact is you can't live on what you say, I suspect your partner, (I have read your writings on other forums) picks up the slack and pays some of the bills. You are not being completely honest.
My partner takes care of HIS bills (not house bills) and my insurance is covered through work and is deducted from my pay each week. Granted it is an HMO coverage, but still insurance (thank God I do not get sick often). I pay for MY food (I am vegetarian...he is not) and he eats out quite a bit. My job is close to home so my gas is about 25-30.00 every 2 weeks or so. I am being totally honest with you...

My house is not a "starter castle" like the ones they build now. When I had it built I had extra insulation, tie beams, strapping etc put in and it is very "energy conscious" as well. It is 1600 sq ft and an average house.

Although if we do go out to eat once in a while (not very often) he does pay or if we go away for a day or 2 he uses his car & gas so in that respect yes, I may not have been completely honest, but as to the house bills...I pay from my salary.
Have a great New Year!!

Old 12-30-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:
My partner takes care of HIS bills (not house bills) and my insurance is covered through work and is deducted from my pay each week. Granted it is an HMO coverage, but still insurance (thank God I do not get sick often). I pay for MY food (I am vegetarian...he is not) and he eats out quite a bit. My job is close to home so my gas is about 25-30.00 every 2 weeks or so. I am being totally honest with you...

My house is not a "starter castle" like the ones they build now. When I had it built I had extra insulation, tie beams, strapping etc put in and it is very "energy conscious" as well. It is 1600 sq ft and an average house.

Although if we do go out to eat once in a while (not very often) he does pay or if we go away for a day or 2 he uses his car & gas so in that respect yes, I may not have been completely honest, but as to the house bills...I pay from my salary.
Have a great New Year!!
Even with a second income that only covers some of the "other" expenses, the only way I see that your net income would be enough for you ONLY is because you have no rent or mortgage and do all your own maintenance and repairs. And I don't see how you can build an energy efficient house on that income eiher and have it be paid for. Well, none of my business really but just a comment. Anybody else that would have to pay these things, would be up the creek without a paddle (for lack of a better term)

I don't have credit card debt and I don't splurge on anything. I do have health insurance, retirement accounts, I help my mother financially, my husband helps his mother and I feed and take 5 cats and two dogs to the vet and now darn homeowner's insurance is taking away any other "treats".
I don't really have any extra for anything outside the mandatory expenses.

I guess some people could be a little envious of your situation and ability to be frugal to maintain expenses low.

Like I've always said, I'm only coming around once so make the best of it while I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or