Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 03:59 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
By contrast, Central Florida has many transplants from the upper east coast and midwest. Orlando is more "northern" than other parts of the state. In still further disparity, South FL is much like Latin/Caribbean America. Spanish is a dominant language. South FL also has many transplants from South America (e.g. Brazil, Columbia), Central America, Cuba, etc.
The difference between SE Florida and the Orlando area is narrowing considerably and while not becoming more Central/South American is becoming very Puerto Rican, especially since Hurricane Maria occurred and so many were displaced by losing their homes. The city of Orlando/Orange County is predicted to be closing in on nearly 50% of the population of Hispanic origin by the next census in 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 08:06 AM

333 posts, read 239,885 times
Op, Im not sure what you are looking for exactly. What are some of your interests? Texas and Florida are very different.

Being that this is a Florida forum, you will likely get mostly Florida answers.

It sounds like if you are from California and Washington State, you may enjoy Austin as a few posted have mentioned. Very healthy and fit population, great recreational opportunities. Really nice atmosphere. Relatively expensive, though.

In Florida there are a few places, but nothing really has a "west coast vibe" if that is what you are looking for. I like places like Fort Lauderdale, or St Pete.

More info on what you are looking for, and we can clarify the answers.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:42 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The people you find in each state will differ a bit in my opinion. Florida is more or less Northeast US-centric in terms of transplants, while Texas seems more Midwest-oriented which helps explain what I find to be a friendlier vibe overall.
That depends on which side of FL you are talking about. The western portion of Florida is based on the I75 corridor which is much more Midwestern. The eastern shore of FL draws from the I95 corridor, which is much more from the northeastern states.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:09 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,280,272 times
Have you taken a look at Texas's property tax?
Be prepared for a sticker shock at least compared to Florida.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:42 PM

12 posts, read 9,689 times
I live in Texas at the moment. I've been in Houston these past 3 years but lived in San Antonio for 6 years before we moved to Houston/The Woodlands. My daughter lives in Austin (Hook'em!).

These 3 cities are like completely 3 different worlds. San Antonio has that cozy feeling, people are so welcoming and friendly. Austin is very 'hippie', outdoor activities, nightlife... Houston is a busy city with lots of traffic and too big, in my opinion. I personally would never consider retiring in Houston.

If I had a choice, I would go back to San Antonio, lots of things to do in that area...a couple of hours away from Corpus/Port Aransas beaches, not even an hour from all the cute German towns (Fredericksburg, Boerne, New Braunfels, Gruene...) and about an hour from Austin, attractions to entertain the visitors (SeaWorld, Six Flags...), fine shopping and great food, especially Mexican food!

My husband's job is now moving us to South Florida and although we're nervous, stressed and moving is always a headache...we're also super excited!

We lived in Charlotte NC before we moved to Texas and I do miss the Queen City but San Antonio has my heart. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida