Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 10:03 AM

117 posts, read 99,080 times

Advertisements

Florida offers very affordable homes to very expensive homes. There will always be middle class and upper class folks and they will always want to move to a warmer climate. The only issue down the road would be if the state constitution was amended to allow income tax. That would change everything and not for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 11:18 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,199,673 times
I think the market for million dollar Miami condos should be ok with wall street and Latin American flight capital. It ebbs and flows but traditionally this is where the rich escape to whether for tax or political purposes.

The much larger middle and upper middle class market is where I have questions. With pensions gone and savings rates low, people simply don't have the assets to move and live here. A couple on social security may only receive $20k a year in income outside of their investments. And 4% withdrawl of $500k is only $20k a year so we are looking at living on $40k for a modest retirement here and these are people that have saved well.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:21 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
This article is a good financial breakdown of what a typical retiree needs in order to retire in various parts of Florida. Assuming someone without a special circumstance like a pension which doesn't exist for most nowadays, with just social security and savings, a typical retiree needs around $600k to make a retirement work for them in North Florida and $1.2 M in South Florida.

I wonder what is going to happen to this state over the next 20 years as the baby boomers die out. Gen X and Millenials are much poorer and won't have the assets necessary to replace them.

https://www.businessinsider.com/can-...eakdown-2018-7
I know a lot of people, myself included, who plan on retiring to a country with a lower COL and better quality of life. There are many places better than FL to retire.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:11 PM

333 posts, read 239,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I know a lot of people, myself included, who plan on retiring to a country with a lower COL and better quality of life. There are many places better than FL to retire.
I think it would be a pretty cool idea to retire in a different country. Experience a different part of the world.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:44 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,199,673 times
Costa Rica, Mexico, Panama, Thailand, Vietnam, Eastern Europe are popular and affordable retiremenr options for expats. Access to medical care can be a big issue as Medicare will not pay outside the US. Because of this people look at the US territories such as Guam, marianna islands, st. Croix, Puerto Rico but all these places have their own issues.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:32 PM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I think the market for million dollar Miami condos should be ok with wall street and Latin American flight capital. It ebbs and flows but traditionally this is where the rich escape to whether for tax or political purposes.

The much larger middle and upper middle class market is where I have questions. With pensions gone and savings rates low, people simply don't have the assets to move and live here. A couple on social security may only receive $20k a year in income outside of their investments. And 4% withdrawl of $500k is only $20k a year so we are looking at living on $40k for a modest retirement here and these are people that have saved well.
If the retirees are totally debt free (own their FLA home and car/s), have decent health, and are on Medicare,
they can get by on $40,000 if they are frugal. Remember, the $500k might earn interest/dividends greater than 4% they are taking out, so the nestegg could grow.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:28 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
If the retirees are totally debt free (own their FLA home and car/s), have decent health, and are on Medicare,
they can get by on $40,000 if they are frugal. Remember, the $500k might earn interest/dividends greater than 4% they are taking out, so the nestegg could grow.
Yep

Old 02-06-2019, 07:06 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
fyi...there's a retirement topic on the U.S. C-D Forum that goes into international retirement in great detail. I've been to Costa Rica and spoke to expats, & most return to the U.S. after a short stint in CR.. Great place to visit though, so long as you avoid San Jose. Use the new airport instead.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:04 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,354,011 times
A lot of these assumptions seem absolutely ludicrous in Jacksonville:

$150,000 downpayment on a home, leaving you with a $65/mo monthly mortgage. This assumption is on the median home price of $164,500. I can tell you for certain that a $164K house in/around Jacksonville will leave you with a dump in a very, very bad neighborhood. No way any middle income retirees are looking at those kinds of houses for retirement. And if you have $150K in cash, surely you could muster another $14K to buy the house outright, who gets a $14K mortgage?

Cable $900/year? That's $75/mo....that barely covers internet alone, much less cable TV.

There are so many other variables not taken into account that these figures they're coming up with probably would not apply to many people.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:09 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmiami View Post
Remember that as you age, quality healthcare become more important. There is a reason people from Latin America come to the US for their healthcare. So that's another factor to consider when retiring to another country.

Nope, you got it backwards.

https://www.thisisinsider.com/medica...lthcare-2018-6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida