Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 02:17 PM

6 posts, read 8,552 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm a mother of 2 young kids (8 and 5). I'm trying to decide to whether to move to Orlando area or Sarasota. My husband and I are looking for jobs and I think there are more job opportunities in Orlando vs. Sarasota. I currently work in IT/Finance areas. I know schools are great in both locations and that is important because we are moving from up North with very good schools. I don't want to be too far from the beach which is why Sarasota is more appealing (if I move to FL, might as well move to the beach), but worried about job opportunities. Husband is more interested in Orlando. Any advice or suggestions for me? I'm worried about the hot summers in Orlando, I'd rather be on the coast. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 03:59 PM

17,201 posts, read 15,390,629 times
The two cities couldn't be any more different.
Orlando is a busy, bustling place with big city problems. It's also inland, so while not FAR from the beach, doesn't differ much from other large sunbelt cities.
Sarasota isn't small, but it certainly has a small beach town vibe to it. Its population also tends to be pretty old. Lots of old retirees there. Very laid back atmosphere.

Personally, with a family, if choosing between the two, I'd pick Orlando.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:35 PM

27,216 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Of the two the Orlando area is your better bet, but if looking for coastal with more job opportunities Jacksonville makes the most sense in my opinion. It's job market/economy is booming and the top two school districts in the state (Nassau County #1 and St John's County #2) are located there. Nassau County features Fernandina Beach or Yulee and Amelia Island beaches, while St John's County has communities like Nocatee or Julington Creek along with Ponte Vedra Beach for it's beaches.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:43 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_1979 View Post
Hi all,
I'm a mother of 2 young kids (8 and 5). I'm trying to decide to whether to move to Orlando area or Sarasota. My husband and I are looking for jobs and I think there are more job opportunities in Orlando vs. Sarasota. I currently work in IT/Finance areas. I know schools are great in both locations and that is important because we are moving from up North with very good schools. I don't want to be too far from the beach which is why Sarasota is more appealing (if I move to FL, might as well move to the beach), but worried about job opportunities. Husband is more interested in Orlando. Any advice or suggestions for me? I'm worried about the hot summers in Orlando, I'd rather be on the coast. Thanks.

Sarasota is too bland and small for my taste. I moved from San Francisco and while I wasn't looking for a similar size city, I still like to have diverse offerings in food, groceries, entertainment, etc. I love driving to Sarasota though, well not Sarasota but Siesta Key. It's my favorite beach in Florida. It's a bit over a 2 hour drive from Orlando. While Orlando isn't on the ocean, it's not too far depending where... most places are within 45-90 minutes from a beach. In return you have theme parks, water parks, natural springs and a more vibrant city. Just my two cents. If you must be on the coast, I'd look around Boca Raton. I used to live there and loved it. You are closer to bigger cities North or South of you, but still have a nice upscale family friendly community.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:57 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
There are more jobs and better salaries in Orlando. I lived in Sarasota for 15 years (this time--lived there in the 70s as well) and public schools are not that great (especially compared to up north), but there are some good private schools around. Sarasota has a lot of retirees--retirees are not crazy about their tax money going to schools.

More IT and finance jobs definitely in Orlando.

More kid-friendly activities in the Orlando area--Orlando has a lot of families. I am not familiar with schools near Orlando. Orlando has a more international vibe, theme parks, but is not near the beach. Sarasota is much more homogeneous, but nice beaches if you can find a place to park.

Guess you have to go through your priorities and decide. As someone mentioned, they are very different places.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:00 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
St. Pete is near beaches and the Tampa Bay job market is booming. Ft. Myers is also booming population wise. Jacksonville as mentioned above as well. Of course Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/West Palm are also near beaches and have tons of opportunities as well but also a high cost of living.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:28 PM

6 posts, read 8,552 times
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I was wary of being on the east side near beaches because of hurricanes. Trying to find the best fit is tough!

Old 02-08-2019, 09:40 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I was wary of being on the east side near beaches because of hurricanes. Trying to find the best fit is tough!
There is no difference really when it comes to hurricanes. The gulf side has had many direct hits and so has the east side. Between Sarasota and Orlando, Orlando has some elevation at least. However, between say WPB-FTL and Sarasota-Tampa it’s no major difference hurricane wise.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 02-08-2019 at 09:57 PM..

Old 02-09-2019, 08:52 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I live in Sarasota and it is a GREAT little city - one of the best in the state for many things. Besides beautiful beaches and great schools it has an enormous amount of cultural amenities, more than cities many times its size. We have every option of organic/healthy food stores plus some which are independents. Population is NOT as old as others make it out to be. People who spout this spout old information and don't live here. We have several colleges after all, plus communities like Lakewood Ranch where many young families live. It gets younger every year.

HOWEVER: This is not the best city to find jobs. It is a small desirable city with a LOT of competition for what jobs are available, and low pay for most. You would be better off with Orlando or even Tampa on that score. Tampa would at least put you closer to beaches if that is priority for you. Good luck!

Old 02-09-2019, 04:06 PM

27,216 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
The north end of the east coast of Florida from roughly Palm Coast northward through Jacksonville has the lowest risk factor for hurricane landfall in the state due to the cooler waters and the offshore flow of the Gulfstream current which swings outward from the state at that point and steers storms out to open water toward the Carolinas and the Northeast. As mentioned however as a peninsula none of Florida is immune to hurricanes passing over from one side to the other, including the Orlando area which while among the furthest inland, has seen significant "pass over" damage in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida