Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:33 AM

8 posts, read 41,597 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job in Key West, and we are debating if we should accept it or not.

We have a 10 yr. old daughter - are any of the Keys a good place to raise a kid? Are the schools good?

How much would the cost of living expenses be, if we live elsewhere and he commutes to Key West? The company is only offering 53K which doesn't sound like a lot to me, considering where it is.

We would rent a house/appartment, but having never been there it is hard to estimate what we would need in wages in order to make it.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 12:37 PM

147 posts, read 190,434 times
My girlfriend just moved to key west. She pays $1,100 per month for a tiny 1 bedroom apartment. There are two rooms in this place, a 12'x12' kitchen and a 12'x12' bedroom. Oh, yea, it has a bathroom too. However, this is somewhat near Duval Street, I would assume there are cheaper options on the other side of the island. However, stay away from Stock Island; it is a crime-ridden crackhead paradise.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:18 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Don't bother, the quality of life is way too low for a family. In the past people lived on big pine key which was affordable, but today the Keys are just not worth the trouble. It's OK for singles, but boring if you like to stay sober.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:53 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
The cost of living is sky high and on that salary you will be the working poor. There are no affordable areas for workforce housing until you hit the slums of Florida City on the mainland, what, 3 to 4 hours away? And there it is dangerous and still overpriced.

Pass on KW unless you are offered 100K.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:06 PM

107 posts, read 367,026 times
i haven't been down to key west in years, but places that are geographically isolated like that generally have extremely high prices for things like groceries, supplies, gasoline. i would not be surprised if a loaf of bread costs 2x in key west as it does in miami.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 22,460 times
It is expensive but a nice place to vist for a day or two but it takes so long to get down there it really isn't worth it

Old 09-10-2011, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 11,384 times
We are in the same situation. We live in DC now and are desperate to leave the stressful rat race. However we also have a young daughter who loves vacationing in fl but is used to city life. It seems that the COL is the same in KW as DC. We would have to take a slight cut in pay. Is the lifestyle change worth it. $50k cut. Looking for some sage advise.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:43 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kct7 View Post
We are in the same situation. We live in DC now and are desperate to leave the stressful rat race. However we also have a young daughter who loves vacationing in fl but is used to city life. It seems that the COL is the same in KW as DC. We would have to take a slight cut in pay. Is the lifestyle change worth it. $50k cut. Looking for some sage advise.
The best way to find out is to come down for a visit. See how the 'vibe' of the area feels to you.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:58 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kct7 View Post
It's not worth it at all. The place is isolated as hell, boring as hell. Your daughter will end up in a straight jacket. A nice place to visit for a day or two, but that's it.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:02 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,224,616 times
With that salary that is not enough...I was in Key west last month for 3 weeks and it is very expensive especially if you like to eat out. I saw a trailer for $400K wtf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida