Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 01:26 PM

6 posts, read 6,082 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are moving to Florida this August.
I was wondering what everyone's advice would be as far as renting a house.
How far in advance should we be contacting people for houses?
I don't wanna do it too soon, but want to make sure we have a place to live when we move!
I would also like to hear from some people that have done a long distance move and how they
went about payment and things like that to hold a house or if they even have to do that. I am not quite sure how that all works.

I would be kind of nervous sending money to hold a house to a private renter .. or would It be through a real estate agent if we went through Zillow? This is our first big move so I have no clue really what I am doing!

Thank you all so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 04:15 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,013,847 times
Oh lord.

You've never rented a house?

Where are you moving? What is your budget?

Someplaces like Miami I would tell you to avoid Craigslist (scams), other places like Key West you need to use it.

I also like Homes for Sale in Florida. Apartments for Rent in Florida - yellowkeyrealty.com in South Florida.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:37 PM

6 posts, read 6,082 times
LOL ive rented a house! renting one right now .. I just was not sure how to go about it with living so far away as we are moving to FL from NH. Sorry if i didn't make that clear. The houses ive rented have all been in person though, i actually have met the people im renting from before hand and knew for sure that it was not a scam. Thank you for your help in advance. Trying to go for no more than like $1600 a month if possible. Looking at the palm coast area.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:51 PM

24,328 posts, read 26,739,713 times
I'd look at property management companies...

Old 02-21-2019, 06:49 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,122,394 times
If you are moving for a job, I would ask the employer if they offer relocation assistance. It may be a person or they may have an HR person that simply sends you a packet of information and puts you in touch with an agency. That has the advantage of letting the rental agency you will have a source of income and the agency might have an idea which areas folks with your similar job and employment location prefer to rent. They may also be able to provide discounts on moving and hints on temporary housing.

There is no substitue for a in person visit. Palm Coast has some sections which are considered sketchy and others that are fine. There are appartments to single famliy houses on canals where you can park you 30' sailboat and sail via the intercoastal waterway to the ocean from your backyard. Homes with canals may flood when we get hurricanes, condos and apartments may have impact resistant windows that can survive a hurricane. You may not like pink stucco, but if you see it in a whole neighborhood of stucco houses think it is OK.

Florida has a ton of reputable state licenenced rental agencies. We have tons of snowbirds that the state does not want to get ripped off - as it is bad for business.

Good luck on your move. We moved to Florida in August and I would recommend hiring a coulpe of local dudes for unloading your stuff. We moved ourselves but paid $80 through the truck rental company for two guys for 4 hours and they unloaded the truck fast and efficient. August in Palm Coast will be hot and muggy and local moving guys will be used to it, where you won't be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida