U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 11:54 AM

6 posts, read 9,466 times

Advertisements

Alright, I'm a 20 year old sophmore in college and absolutely hate it here in east Tennessee. I'm tired of the people in my town, all the drama that comes with it, and the fact that there is never anything to do. What I'm looking for is a decent sized city that is close to the beach and close to a bigger city, but is also affordable. I also want to attend college and am looking for a cheaper community college.

I will be recieving roughly $3500-$3700 in the next two to three weeks and want to use that to get started somewhere. I have always held a job since I was 16 and I need a full time job, whether it be at Walmart or at a factory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 10:21 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,322,587 times
I left East Tenn too 12 years ago and now can't wait to get back (or at least somewhere in the South). Grass always looks greener on the other side I guess. My advise don't move till you finish college. Unless you have a job already lined up or having some other source of income do not pick up and move now if it means leaving a job you are currently at. I know people with college degrees and without who have been out of work for as much as 2 years.

I understand how you feel about attitudes in East TN. Find some support groups or activity groups in the bigger towns such as Knoxville. If you are sick of closemindedness and prejudice seek out a Unitarian Universalist church which will have other people who are 'different' than the usual TN mindset. Finding other likeminded people will help you pass the time while you finish your degree there. From what I've heard Florida is no better than TN as far as attitude.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:56 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,557,308 times
Though 3500 may seem like a lot it won't get you too far if you are out of work for awhile. When I moved to CA if it could happen it did and so I was thankful I had a good savings to get through. If you decide to make the move I encourage you to come up with a plan and maybe start applying on line for jobs. Another good in college job is waiting tables or bartending. This can work well with school. Do you know anyone in FL cause that may be a good area to relocate to in terms of help and feeling less alone. I really only know Palm Beach County and there would be an area I am thinking would fit what you are looking for. Good luck but try to not glorify things when times are hard right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or