Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 01:35 PM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times

Advertisements

[quote=kyle19125;54549930]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post

Bear in mind you're comparing the 19th largest metro area (DEN) with the 40th largest (JAX) so of course there's going to be less comparables and also what amounts to a much more progressive population with more salary/disposable income. Jacksonville is on a very evident upward trajectory and while it's not nirvana for young professionals yet, one can see where it might be headed in the right direction over time.
Jax has a larger population than Denver (900K vs 700K) but the reality is the cities are in the same ballpark in terms of population. We're not comparing Los Angeles to Boise here.

I don't see an upward trajectory here. The suburbs are flourishing, specifically St Johns Co, but other than population growth I am not seeing much in the way of an upward trajectory for growth. And unless I lived near the Beaches, probably not where I would have wanted to call home in my younger years. Tampa seems to have a bit more to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 03:12 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
[quote=Florida2014;54550292]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

Jax has a larger population than Denver (900K vs 700K) but the reality is the cities are in the same ballpark in terms of population. We're not comparing Los Angeles to Boise here.

I don't see an upward trajectory here. The suburbs are flourishing, specifically St Johns Co, but other than population growth I am not seeing much in the way of an upward trajectory for growth. And unless I lived near the Beaches, probably not where I would have wanted to call home in my younger years. Tampa seems to have a bit more to offer.
Apparently you're either not paying attention or in denial.

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20...oints-brooklyn

Old 02-28-2019, 06:17 AM

[quote=kyle19125;54551149]
Quote:

Apparently you're either not paying attention or in denial.

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20...oints-brooklyn
LOL, this is a joke, right? You're quoting a city's own promotional website to base how well a particular city is doing?

"Well look, JacksonvilleJaguars.com says the Jaguars are THE best team in the NFL so it must be true!" Give me a break.

Beyond that, even if this were true, you're talking about 3 *TINY* neighborhoods inside the single largest city in all of the United States, that hardly constitutes an "upward trajectory" as you put it.

So I am paying attention, are YOU?

Old 02-28-2019, 08:15 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,160,922 times
[quote=Florida2014;54555316]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

LOL, this is a joke, right? You're quoting a city's own promotional website to base how well a particular city is doing?

"Well look, JacksonvilleJaguars.com says the Jaguars are THE best team in the NFL so it must be true!" Give me a break.

Beyond that, even if this were true, you're talking about 3 *TINY* neighborhoods inside the single largest city in all of the United States, that hardly constitutes an "upward trajectory" as you put it.

So I am paying attention, are YOU?
The Times-Union is a respected newspaper, not the "city's own promotional website" lol. In any case they were piggybacking on a national story which has been discussed on several areas of this site.

And why would you compare Denver city population to Jax city population? You are correct that it is not LA to Boise but Denver's metro is twice the population of Jax's. So they aren't exactly peers, although they could be in adjacent tiers.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:23 AM

Unreal. The OP asked about input on Jacksonville, I provided it and some trolls come back to pick apart everything I say. Someone specifically asked about why I felt a particular way having lived in two larger cities and I gave my opinion.....repeat, opinion. What in the world is wrong with you people? Are you truly that bored?

Old 02-28-2019, 12:05 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Unreal. The OP asked about input on Jacksonville, I provided it and some trolls come back to pick apart everything I say. Someone specifically asked about why I felt a particular way having lived in two larger cities and I gave my opinion.....repeat, opinion. What in the world is wrong with you people? Are you truly that bored?
What do you mean, "you people?"

Just kidding.

Anyway, I agree with everything you've posted about Jacksonville. It's pretty much my spot-on assessment of it.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:26 PM

267 posts, read 262,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Anyway, I agree with everything you've posted about Jacksonville. It's pretty much my spot-on assessment of it.

I am with Arcenal352 and also agree with you, Florida2014, based on my years of experience in Jax.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:43 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Quote:
Am I a troll if I point out your blatant mistakes? I generally agree with all of your posts from not only this thread but elsewhere, but now I have to agree with everything you say?? lol.

I think it is fair to question your use of city population (there is hardly ever a time on this entire website where it doesn't get pointed out...in this comparison Jax's arbitrary city limits are more than 5 times larger than Denver's) and also correct you for thinking that a newspaper is a promotional website. Besides that? I said at the beginning that Tampa has more to offer and I would choose it if not for my ties to Jax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida